Best Progressive Concept Albums

Luis said:
The concept of V is much more interesting than SFAM IMO.

While V is about the eternal war between good and evil, SFAM tell us the story about a paranoic guy...

Sorry I just can't associate to mythology myself, I need something that is both musically awesome and sophiscated conceptually- Which is BE :cool:

Luis said:
Fallen and Communion and the Oracle are mediocre?? o_O

Anyway, thanks to agree with me, you pretty girl.
Okay, so maybe mediocre was the wrong word to use. I meant that, besides a few exceptions, a lot of the songs seem to be lacking something that the other albums have. If V was the only Symphony X album in existance, I would probably be obsessing over it, but as it is, I would rather listen to another one of their albums instead. Or something like that.

ThornsOfSorrow said:
Okay, so maybe mediocre was the wrong word to use. I meant that, besides a few exceptions, a lot of the songs seem to be lacking something that the other albums have. If V was the only Symphony X album in existance, I would probably be obsessing over it, but as it is, I would rather listen to another one of their albums instead. Or something like that.

Well, in my humble, V was the most steady and the best SymX album ever. Why? Because it is the album where SymX didn't have a mediocre song.

I admit, when I first heard V, I didn't get into it as easily as I did DWoT and Odyssey. But the more I listened to it, it just grew on me more, and it's my fav. cd of theirs right now. Now, I think maybe it's because, musically, it's not as accessible and direct as DWoT. The arrangements just seem, to me, more expansive and epic (aside from pieces like DWoT and Odyssey). Pinella's keys being more pronounced on this album and the orchestrations just give V a more epic quality, and I love how they really played that out on this album. I love The Odyssey for it's more direct, metallic nature, but I feel V offers the best of both elements of Symphony X - epic, soaring melodies, and knock-you-on-your-butt heaviness.

With regards to Scenes From A Memory, I agree the concept isn't as immediately interesting as V's, but I think it has more to do with the nature of the stories. What I really like about SFAM is that there's more of a human, emotional resonance there, which is a really strong point for a good piece of art to have. Yet, I also enjoy the more fantasy-based, mythological nature of V. It's something more far removed from reality, and makes for a good escape in that respect. They're both different and have their strengths and weaknesses, but I can't say one's of less quality than the other.

It's not too progressive, but has anyone heard King Diamond's cd called "Them"? It's a really cool concept album about him killing his grandma or something. From start to finish it's like a movie or a story book. The music is pretty decent too, but the vocals are kind of hard to get used to.

Yeah, "Them" is great, you gotta love those crazy voices from the even crazier King Diamond. There's a follow-up to the same story in the album called "Conspiracy", also cool. The comic-style booklets are fantastic too.

Noble Viking said:
It's not too progressive, but has anyone heard King Diamond's cd called "Them"? It's a really cool concept album about him killing his grandma or something. From start to finish it's like a movie or a story book. The music is pretty decent too, but the vocals are kind of hard to get used to.

GRANDMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

King Diamond's albums usually have interesting stories, but a lot of times, the vocals will just sound corny...as dargormudshark just illustrated. But just to be really off-topic, he puts on a great live show. It's almost like watching a play.

King Diamond... I would vote for The Graveyard, as it is both progressive metal (beyond doubts) and concept album, and is a very, very strong one. Far better than SFAM (IMHO)

ThornsOfSorrow said:
King Diamond's albums usually have interesting stories, but a lot of times, the vocals will just sound corny...as dargormudshark just illustrated. But just to be really off-topic, he puts on a great live show. It's almost like watching a play.

Exactly, I used to make fun of him (and I hated his music as well, except for "Evil" by Mercyful Fate) but then I watched the show and it really grew on me. His stories remind me of Goosebumps books

Barking Pumpkin said:
Pain Of Salvation - BE
The problem with "Be" is that it is not really metal...it is progressive and it is a concept album, but there is very little metal on the album...thus it is hard to compare that to anything Dream Theater or Symphony X or other such...even Shadow Gallery has songs like "The Andromeda Strain", "The Archer of Ben Salem" and "Room V" on their concept album...those songs are all pretty metal...nothing on "Be" is truly metal...I have officially heard and own the real copy of "Be" and can't really find THAT MUCH special about it...it is unique, but it does not grab your attention and make you want to hear more....the only way that a person would want to listen to it is to dig into the concept...if that's the case, why did Gildenlow not just write a book? The music is not that impressive...too many wasted tracks....like "Oh Lord", and the Piano track..."Be" just happens to bore me....

Ayreon Guardian X said:
The problem with "Be" is that it is not really metal...it is progressive and it is a concept album, but there is very little metal on the album...thus it is hard to compare that to anything Dream Theater or Symphony X or other such...even Shadow Gallery has songs like "The Andromeda Strain", "The Archer of Ben Salem" and "Room V" on their concept album...those songs are all pretty metal...nothing on "Be" is truly metal...I have officially heard and own the real copy of "Be" and can't really find THAT MUCH special about it...it is unique, but it does not grab your attention and make you want to hear more....the only way that a person would want to listen to it is to dig into the concept...if that's the case, why did Gildenlow not just write a book? The music is not that impressive...too many wasted tracks....like "Oh Lord", and the Piano track..."Be" just happens to bore me....

The thing about Be that really got me was, like you said, the story/concept. And you're right, it's not very metal. It really took me a few listens to actually somewhat like the cd for the music.

Ayreon Guardian X said:

Did you guys read all about the concept or something before hearing the album?

Before I got it, I didn't know anything about Pain Of Salvation. I got 'BE,' and listened through it a lot. I absolutely loved the music, and then after basically memorizing the album I listened through with the lyrics in hand to try to understand the concept.....very last thing to happen for me with the album.

One of the elements that stands out immediately is the orchestra. I haven't heard a "metal" band use orchestra like this before. Daniel Gildenlow really uses the orchestra, with classical techniques such as four-part writing, complex harmonies, counterpoint, etc. The same way he does with the band on other albums. Then there is the real musical concept here. This is the most conceptual "metal" album I've seen in a musical sense. The classical method of developing a theme and making variations on it really stands out for me. The piano track you mentioned, "Pluvius Aestivus." The piano melody above the arpeggio line is the melody and variations from "Iter Impius." It starts with the orchestra behind it, and over the course of the song it switches and you have the orchestra doing the Iter Impius variations. Then you see all kinds of other instances of this classical method throughout the album, too many to note (sorry, corny pun). Besides the musical stuff, Daniel Gildenlow's voice is of course as amazing and expressive as ever.

And you're right.....it's not intended to be a "metal" album, although it does have its "metal" moments (Nihil Morari, for example) but it is an amazing progressive concept album. I don't see it as a "problem" as you noted it at all. Probably even a positive thing. Pain Of Salvation have never been a really heavy band, so it's not much of a stylistic change in that aspect of the music.

Oh....one other thing. The point that you can't compare it to Dream Theater or Symphony X or Shadow Gallery or whatever is a good thing to me. That's what makes it progressive. There are lots of bands that when I listen to them I could say "this sounds like Dream Theater," and that doesn't make a great band in my opinion.