V story

Fredcod said:
Hello!

I remember that in the last website, there was a description of the story "V - The New Mythology Suite". Now that I did a website about concept albums, I'd like to use it. But I can't find it anymore. Does someone has it?

By the way, good job for the new artwork!

Fredcod
www.proglands.com/concept/concept.html

I checked out the site and, though its a cool idea to compile concept albums like that, I am spotting many albums on your list that definately are not concept albums. For example: When Dream and Day Unite, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (Dream Theater), Holy Land (Angra - they have stated in the past that this is not a concept album although many of the songs have similar themes). So I'm curious as to what you consider makes an album a concept album, since whenever I think of a concept album I think of an album that is telling some sort of story throughout the album.

Yes, you are right, I forgot to delete WD&DU. But about 6DOIT, I'll precise that I talk about the song, the 42 minutes song. I'll write the description of it soon.

Are you sure Holy Land isn't a concept album? It's just that one of their fan really told me it is. I'll check before deleting it. If you find other errors or albums missing, it helps me very much. Thank you. :)

Concept album? Yes, a story. But I don't know, if there's something to tell, like if there is theories all over the album but without a story, I think we can still write something good about that. So there is the exception. Another one is "album". You know, long songs are accepted if there's a story in that! Example : A Change Of Seasons, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, A Fairytale Ending, you know.

Thank you again. If you find some texts, like the one I am searching about V, tell me and I'd contact the band to ask the permission to use it. You can find "Epica", that was taken from Kamelot's website.

Yeah, about the V thing, I know the japanese edition has a story summary in the booklet, so...I dunno if you'd be willing to go buy the japanese edition just for the summary ;) but Im sure someone must have it somewhere on the net. I used to have the jap edition but I dont know where it is now...sorry dude :(

And yes, I do remember reading in an interview with the Angra guys that Holy Land is *not* a true concept album, although a few songs have similar themes.

Another thing you should take notice of is the whole "emerald sword saga" by Rhapsody, which is a "multi-album" concept that spans over their first 4 albums and 1 EP (as cheesy as lyrics are, you gotta give credit to a band that'd do something like that).

Right on, Yngvai. Rhapsody might be cheesy, but they rock, and mastered the "concept album" deal with the Emerald Sword Saga.

Also, what about stuff that has a constant theme to the songs but not a "story" per se? Stuff can have a concept but not a story.

Cool site, by the way.

My *very* limited understanding of the story behind V (mostly by just picking up bits from the lyrics) is as follows:
Evolution: setting the scene, people of atlantis are really evolved, suggests that a type of evolution will occur in the story (people will die or whatever)

Fallen: not really sure, maybe some plotting of some sort

Communion and the oracle: Not really sure either, i think they have some kind of council, some oracle talks to them or something

Bird serpent war: Theres a war and Atlantis sinks into the sea i think

Poseidon: the people of atlantis are carried away by the sea

Egypt: find themselves in egypt, dont like it much compared to atlantis

Death of balance: Chaos ensues! reality crumbles etc

Abscnce of light:
Due to the above ^ there is no light and egypt is pretty grim

Fools paradise: The world now is a bit crappy compared to atlantis: "a fools paradise," and they need to rediscover themselves

Rediscovery: need to change etc etc, go back to the ways of atlantis

I don't know if you're particular to any one type of music, but King Diamond has one of the all time great heavy metal concept albums. "Abigail" is a cool story and has great music. Actually, I think most of his albums are concept albums, but I'm not sure any of the others is all hat great. Just a thought.

All of king diamond's albums are concepts OR have conceptual elements in them (spider's lullaby and fatal portrait). Do them... they are great. House of God is the greatest story ever.