questions about symphony x

caseyh21

New Metal Member
Feb 24, 2012
hello, i am new to symphony x, i absolutley love them but i have a couple of questions and i cant find the answers:
1. The Damnation-V: The New Mythology Suite albums, who is on vocals? that cant be russell alan, because his voice stands out so much like on the odyssey - iconoclast. is it michael romeo? or did alan just sound alot of differnt back then??

2. On V: the new mythology suite, all the classical segments, like on prelude, what language is the lyrics? "In articulus sic aeternus - Spiritus
donec dies fas
Dies Irae, Dies Illa - Solvet saeclum in
favilla"
Im not familiar with classic music.. but i would really appreciate it if i could get some feedback with this. thanks

The vocals are all done by Russ. This is why people are so upset about the last couple of albums; they don't like that he no longer sings the way he used to!

Personally, I think a combination of the two would be best... and there definitely needs to be more falsetto, i.e. Candlelight Fantasia, Awakenings, etc.

I'm surprised you couldn't tell it was Russ on the older albums, though, lol.

I do not know the answer to your other question, good sir/ma'am.

I think I can help you with the question no. 2

It´s Latin. Actually the part that you quoted ("Dies Irae, Dies Illa - Solvet saeclum in favilla", from "A Fool´s Paradise" if I´m not wrong) it´s taken from Guissepe Verdi´s Requiem:

I found the translation of that part, and it´s something like this i guess:

"The day of wrath (Dies Irae)
that day (Dies illa)
Will dissolve the world (Solvet saeclum)
in ashes (in favilla)"

As you noticed, the music from "Prelude" is also from Verdi :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but in "The Death of Balance/Lacrymosa", the Lacrymosa part is definitely an adaptation of a movement from the Requiem Mass in D minor by Mozart (not completed by him though).

The Lacrimosa from the Requiem is the last piece of music Mozart put down to paper. Only the opening eight bars were written by Mozart, but this sublime music was enough of a lead for Süssmayr to complete the Lacrimosa effectively, with what I consider to be a seamless job (though no one knows what greater things Mozart no doubt would have had planned for it).

Here is the completed Lacrimosa; written by a man who knew his death was nigh, and who had the skill to express this through music, the material is chillingly beautiful, tragic and eternal.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoR4jeB6OI0&noredirect=1[/ame]

The piece was adapted for V by Romeo and performed by Allen within the context of a dying "Balance" (which was expressed earlier by Rullo's odd time signature drum performance in "Death of Balance") that is going to soon lead to the tragic death of Atlantis. Pretty brilliant isn't it? :)

The language is of course Classical Latin. Latin and Italian are used a lot in classical music. Latin is used mostly for lyrics especially in choir music, and Italian mostly for musical terms like names of tempo and articulations (for example "vibrato" is an Italian word).

thanks for all the answers, i still cant believe the difference in russel's voice from his old stuff to new. but its awesome music either way. thanks