Symphony X - First Half or Second Half?

Which half of Symphony X's discography do you prefer?

• Symphony X, The Damnation Game, The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, Twilight In Olympus

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • V: The New Mythology Suite, The Odyssey, Paradise Lost, Iconoclast

Votes: 48 72.7%

• Total voters
I've gotta say the first half wins. It's a close one though.

Divine Wings and Twilight vs The Odyssey and V cancel each other out with their greatness. The debut and Iconoclast cancel each other out with...well, you know. It comes down to The Damnation Game vs Paradise Lost. Hard to choose between the two, but I still never tire of the songs on Damnation and after just 4 years, I rarely listen to PL anymore.

The debut has some great parts. Iconoclast doesn't really.

No song in V is filler, not even Rediscovery Pt.1
Even the "link" songs like Trascendence are stand alone awesome and worthy of apreciation.

I disagree. While Rediscovery pt. 1 is definitely not filler (it's quite a beautiful little piece), I find it hard to say that songs like Absence of Light or The Bird-Serpent War/Cataclysm are not filler when compared to other tracks on the same album (say, Communion and the Oracle or Egypt).

Symphony X = V: The New Mythology Suite

As much as I love V, the album is definitely not Symphony X in their entirety (if that's what you are trying to say). Personally, I find The Odyssey and Divine Wings to be just as good (if not better at times) than V.

Well.....I'd have to say second half. While I love Damnation Game and Divine Wings, I don't have a lot of desire to listen to the debut, and Twilight just seems to be missing something. It's not a bad album, but there are only a few tracks I really like. There isn't anything to say about V that hasn't already been said, and pretty much the same with the Odyssey. I think I am one of the few here who likes Paradise Lost, and Iconoclast is the meh album in this half. I don't mind Iconoclast at all, and I don't think it's as bad as people say it is.

It isnt. Its just PL part 2 which im okay with, however if the next album is anything like PL and IC then i will start to get angry.

I listened to V for the first time in a looong time. Rullo really outdid himself... I mean, when's the last time you heard drums performed as intensely, and intricately as in 'Death of Balance" in a prog metal band? Never. The drums as a whole on V are superior to any of SX's other albums, and I'd say, basically any other prog metal album.

Gavin Harrison in Porcupine Tree is the only one to eclipse such performances, but it's a completely different style of music.

Yeah, there are bands like Planet X, but they're not very interesting, imo.

I listened to V for the first time in a looong time. Rullo really outdid himself... I mean, when's the last time you heard drums performed as intensely, and intricately as in 'Death of Balance" in a prog metal band? Never. The drums as a whole on V are superior to any of SX's other albums, and I'd say, basically any other prog metal album.

Gavin Harrison in Porcupine Tree is the only one to eclipse such performances, but it's a completely different style of music.

Martin Mendez isn't too shabby, either. I'd say Ghost Reveries, Blackwater Park, and Still Life are intense and intricate drum performances.

I voted first half, because 2 of my faves are in that group (DG & DWoT). I like ALL of it, and am one of the ones who the change of direction doesn't bother at all. Maybe I'm voting partially for nostalgia reasons, but I really do love the first batch of their cds...

If only the first half could kidnap The Odyssey. It would be an easy choice then. OH WELL! My choice is still the first half.

I voted for the first half...even it was very hard decision. Just listened the song DWOT yesterday after long time, it simply doesn't have any weak moment.

Martin Mendez isn't too shabby, either. I'd say Ghost Reveries, Blackwater Park, and Still Life are intense and intricate drum performances.
The best prog metal drum performances IMO are Alex Holzworth on The Art of Navigating by the Stars and Mark Zonder on A Pleasant Shade of Gray. Rullo is amazing, but there's some double bass drumming in V that I'm not crazy about. It's just not my cup of tea.

Absolutely. There's some brilliant drumming on that record. His performance on Perfect Symmetry is impressive as well. Very, very intricate stuff.
Yeah, from what I've heard the band brought Zonder in specifically because they wanted to write more technical drum parts. Given that you like Psychotic Waltz and Fates, you've probably already heard it, but I thought I might as well mention - Sieges Even heard Perfect Symmetry and ran with it, the result being their Steps album, which is like Perfect Symmetry times itself. Not a comforting listen, but of interest to people looking for technical drumming.

hate last 2 albums , but love The Odyssey, overall I prefer the first half without doubt. I like old stuff symphony x