Symphony X - First Half or Second Half?

Which half of Symphony X's discography do you prefer?

• Symphony X, The Damnation Game, The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, Twilight In Olympus

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • V: The New Mythology Suite, The Odyssey, Paradise Lost, Iconoclast

Votes: 48 72.7%

• Total voters
I like both,, but i choose second half (V: The New Mythology Suite, The Odyssey, Paradise Lost, Iconoclast) because the sound production,, talk about the sound production,, i wish they re-recorded "The Damnation Game" album with the quality sound like "The Odussey" album,, i like Damnation Game album, but i don't really like the sound production,,

^ Yep, I remember the rumors before Paradise Lost came out about how the band wanted to re-record the entire debut album, but eventually MJR just wanted to focus on new material. I asked Lepond about it after one of the gigs in 2007 and he said roughly the same thing. My guess? They don't think those two albums are strong enough when compared to the more recent stuff.

As much I like a lot of stuff on Damnation Game, I completely agree with Romeo. To go back and record an old album is like saying, "We don't think what we recorded was good, let's redo it because we don't have any new material that is good either." It's a creative shot in the foot.

As much I like a lot of stuff on Damnation Game, I completely agree with Romeo. To go back and record an old album is like saying, "We don't think what we recorded was good, let's redo it because we don't have any new material that is good either." It's a creative shot in the foot.

hmm,, I think you are right,, i agree :)

^ Yep, I remember the rumors before Paradise Lost came out about how the band wanted to re-record the entire debut album, but eventually MJR just wanted to focus on new material. I asked Lepond about it after one of the gigs in 2007 and he said roughly the same thing. My guess? They don't think those two albums are strong enough when compared to the more recent stuff.

I also agree with MJR, i think they better focus on new material, like the first ever official Symphony X Live DVD that we all have been waiting for :)

Re-recording the debut makes a lot of sense. Obviously, having Russell sing on it would be a huge difference. Other small additions or changes could be made if the band isn't satisfied with the songs themselves. That happened with Masquerade and it turned out fantastic as we all know. I remember hearing back then that they would maybe do one or two songs at a time as bonus tracks, but I guess the ship has sailed on that idea. Seriously, I'd love for them to still do it though. It'd certainly be in stark contrast to the current music they make. I don't think it would interfere with any creative inspirations being used towards new material.

There's really no justification for re-recording The Damnation Game. Not sure why anyone would even want that.

Re-recording the debut makes a lot of sense. Obviously, having Russell sing on it would be a huge difference. Other small additions or changes could be made if the band isn't satisfied with the songs themselves. That happened with Masquerade and it turned out fantastic as we all know. I remember hearing back then that they would maybe do one or two songs at a time as bonus tracks, but I guess the ship has sailed on that idea. Seriously, I'd love for them to still do it though. It'd certainly be in stark contrast to the current music they make. I don't think it would interfere with any creative inspirations being used towards new material.

If the band is going to the bother of recording and making changes to songs, I think it's more worthwhile from their point of view to just write new material. Also, I'm sure the record company would prefer them to move forward.

Honestly, no matter my thoughts on the songs on Paradise Lost or Iconoclast, the self-titled sounds like a band's first album. Romeo's sensibilities have sharpened and the band has come together more as songwriters since then, whether or not I personally enjoy the direction. A stark contrast in sound is the last thing the band or the label wants at this point.

Nah, re-recording the first record would be a nice break from this PL crash course they've been on the last 5 years. It might get them back to good 'ol prog basics. Unless the other band members get some songwriting entries in with the new stuff and Russ gets sick of playing Dio.

There's really no justification for re-recording The Damnation Game. Not sure why anyone would even want that.

many of my friends who like Symphony X, when they hear The Damnation Game, they really like all the song from the album,, BUT they were all say that the sound of the album is not good like The odyssey or maybe Iconoclast, it's all about the sound production of the album :)

Leave The Damnation Game alone(unless they remaster it). But the first one; re-record by all means(maybe keep Miller's basslines though).

I could honestly see them re-recording a song or two for extra bonus tracks, but they'd never re-record the whole album. In the band's eyes, their songwriting abilities have vastly improved since then, and I'll bet MJR probably dislikes most of those songs. A re-recorded debut album would probably only sell amongst die-hard fans of the band, and MJR would see it as too much trouble. But a bonus track or two (similar to what they did with Masquerade) would be a nice treat.

By "keep Miller's basslines" do you mean have Lepond play the bass parts unchanged, or actually use the recordings of Miller playing the lines? Because they would obviously never do the latter.