Symphony X - First Half or Second Half?

Which half of Symphony X's discography do you prefer?

• Symphony X, The Damnation Game, The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, Twilight In Olympus

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • V: The New Mythology Suite, The Odyssey, Paradise Lost, Iconoclast

Votes: 48 72.7%

• Total voters
Don't get me wrong, I love the earlier albums. DWOT is the album that got me hooked on this band. That said, I prefer the 2nd half of their discography.
I remember people used to complain about Romeo's tone. The 2nd half of their discography is where Romeo really started to perfect his tone. The 2nd half is also mixed better, in my opinion. Collectively, the 2nd half also has great arrangements. I think this thread is eye opening. As much hate as Paradise Lost and Iconoclast gets, people can't seem to hate them enough to trade V and The Odyssey.

First half. Debut is not as bad as it's made out to be btw - easily better than PL / Iconoclast.

First half: two great albums, one good album and a meh album
Second half: one great album (the greatest), two good albums, one meh album

First half > second half
Barely.

This poll was one of the hardest until i read along what i thought of them.

crap, crap with 1 amazing song, The best one, awesome, really awesome, The second best one, awesome, pretty awesome.

Then i made my decision pretty easily. The 2 craps hurt the first half from triumphing the most recent but hey, i can see how a complex and unique band like SymX would need to make a few albums before they find their niche.

This is a tough one, but I voted second half because of the awesomeness of V.

The truthful answer though would be middle half, with 'the golden line';
DWOT - TIO - V- Odyssey :worship:

I honestly think we are in the middle of the second half of Symphony X. The self-titled through V were the first half. V marked the end of the first half of Symphony X, imo.

The Odyssey began the era we are now smack dab in the middle of, focusing on darker themes and a more aggressive approach. Granted, The Odyssey had sweeping orchestral sections and clean, melodic pieces, but it paved the way for PL and IC. So, I say let's take this poll again after the next two-three albums come out.

Usually these "arbitrary grouping--pick a side" threads are stupid, but this one actually brought two very interesting concepts to light.

First, I think most would agree that it is remarkable how close the first half and the second half are. Either that speaks to the band's consistency, or their ability to peak in the dead middle and begin a consistent decline (depending how cynical you are feeling).

Second, it really shows you how powerful V is. I think Marwen nailed it with "whatever half V is in." You could take V and the worst of Symphony X and stack that against the remaining albums, and still the half with V is in contention. Symphony X has a number of superb albums, but V is probably one of 5 or so albums I would put into the elite "masterpiece" category. It is simply that much better than anything else they have ever done.

Symphony X has a number of superb albums, but V is probably one of 5 or so albums I would put into the elite "masterpiece" category. It is simply that much better than anything else they have ever done.

This just goes to show you how much opinions differ. Both MJR and Russ are not fond of V, yet a lot of the die-hard Symphony X fans love it.

Also, I have to completely disagree with V being "that much better" than anything they've ever done. I find Divine Wings and The Odyssey to be just as good, if not better (at times) than V. Every Symphony X album has at least one or two filler tracks in my opinion, and V is no exception.

Which V song(s) do you think are filler?

Bird-Serpent War, Absence, and Fool's Paradise. The first just can't stack up to Evolution, Fallen, and Communion, and the latter two just seem out of place at that point in the album (especially after the epic trio of tracks 7, 8, and 9). Granted, they're not "filler" in the same vein as Witching Hour or The Turning, but they just seem awkward in a sense. On their own they are decent songs, but nothing extraordinary.

Personally, I don't think there is any filler on DWOT, TIO, V, TO, or PL. But that's just me.

I think Pharaoh, Witching Hour, Sonata, Lady of the Snow (yep, I said it), The Turning, Incantations (to a lesser degree), STWOF, and Serpent's Kiss (both to lesser degrees as well) are somewhat filler. However, I'm inclined to give the Twilight songs a break since I know that the band was incredibly rushed to put out that album.

And I like what Islandstone said about "the golden line".

Yep; if "middle Symphony X" was an option I'm sure it would be running away with the win...

Bird-Serpent War, Absence, and Fool's Paradise. The first just can't stack up to Evolution, Fallen, and Communion, and the latter two just seem out of place at that point in the album (especially after the epic trio of tracks 7, 8, and 9). Granted, they're not "filler" in the same vein as Witching Hour or The Turning, but they just seem awkward in a sense. On their own they are decent songs, but nothing extraordinary.

I think Pharaoh, Witching Hour, Sonata, Lady of the Snow (yep, I said it), The Turning, Incantations (to a lesser degree), STWOF, and Serpent's Kiss (both to lesser degrees as well) are somewhat filler. However, I'm inclined to give the Twilight songs a break since I know that the band was incredibly rushed to put out that album.

Yep; if "middle Symphony X" was an option I'm sure it would be running away with the win...

Fair enough.

I can't see Fool's Paradise as filler. The segue into the neo-classical section of the solo is pure magic.