Is V the quintessential Symphony X disc?

Which album is better?

• The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • V

Votes: 28 62.2%

• Total voters
My vote goes to V. Love the album and every song on it. TDWOT has too many songs I normally skip, even those which are a staple for the band's live set. Sins and Shadows, Smoke and Mirrors, Sea of Lies - I don't really care too much for either of those. Don't like Out of the Ashes because the chorus is annoying and I hate the Witching Hour. I think what annoys me about the album is the choir-like backing vocals in most of the songs on the album...it just seems a bit overdone for my taste.

To compare the DWOT title track to Rediscovery, to me is pointless. I like what they did with the extremely long instrumental parts in the DWOT track but Rediscovery just has so much more feeling and passion in it. I can feel and relate to the track musically and vocally every time I hear it. It's a moving piece - to me anyway.

In defense of DWOT, I think Candlelight Fantasia is an amazing song and is perfect. Medusa and Pharaoh (both considered filler by many) are also two of my favorite songs off the album. Pharaoh can be somewhat difficult to listen to at times though. I think the only song on V that SLIGHTLY annoys me at times is A Fool's Paradise...until Allen hits the last chorus and the ending of the song - musically, that's the best part of the song IMO.

Hands down - V for the album of choice. It flows better. It has better tracks.

I honestly cant decide. From DW to even PL their albums have been consistently awesome. Some days ill favor one over the other. Top songs for me are:

Odessey
Awakenings
Through The Looking Glass
The Edge Of Forever
Egypt

5 songs from 4 different albums, the live version of the song DW would have been 6. Again, pretty consistent band.