Quite new to Symphony X

Husk

New Metal Member
Jun 24, 2010
Hey everyone, After listening to bands like Dream Theater, Tool, Transatlantic, Rush I decided to try some Symphony X.

I have to say that my mind is still blown away on a daily basis because I can't get enough of their music. The thing is I feel I'm restricting myself to one album and that is "V: The New Mythology Suite" cause it's just perfect in every possible way.

I'd like to know if you guys can recommend me other good songs from Symphony X, maybe even a specific album.

Bear in mind I've also listened to these songs and love them as well:
Divine Wings of Tragedy
Through the looking glass
The Odyssey
A few songs from Paradise Lost

I'm just madly in love with the style of playing on the Album V, so if there happens to be another Symphony X album which has amazingly complex and sophisticated tracks, then that would just make my day.

Peace

Well "V" is not the favorite of some others here, if thats any indication. So just start filling in your collection with other LP's. The one that stands out the most to me is Divine Wings but I feel they all range between 8-10 with little difference, The New Mythology Suite and Damnation Game are the two I listened to least.

I'm one of the V fanatics here who consider it the best SymX album (and, perhaps, even the best metal album). I don't personally think there is anything quite uniquely like it in the SymX repertoire, but I would say the closest tracks you might find are:

- 'Oculus ex Inferni' might remind you of V's Prelude
- 'Paradise Lost' (the track) might remind you of those ethereal moments in V (such as those in 'Communion and the Oracle')
- The Greek/Egyptian mythology tracks such as 'Eyes of Medusa' and 'Pharaoh', perhaps?..

Welcome to the forum. :)

Welcome. V has slowly become my favorite as well. There is truly magic on that album and you'll find a bunch of threads about it.

Next in line I would recommend the album Divine Wings. Great collection of well written songs. Next you could go to Odyssey. Good luck and have fun.

If you listen to "songs" and not an entire Symphony X album and all progressive works as a entire piece of work... IMO, you dont get it and should just listen to pop radio.

I think the three essential Symphony X discs are .... The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, V: The New Mythology Suite, and The Odyssey.

TDWOT is classic neo-classical SymX

V is the most progressive

Odyssey contains elements of all era's of SymX.

Just my 2 pennies !!

Britt

They are all very good IMO

the only exception is the first self titled album mainly due to having a different vocalist and the production quality being pretty weak. If they re-recorded this with Russel though, many of the songs on that album would be up to standards with the rest of their stuff as well. (as can clearly be seen with Masquerade)

If you listen to "songs" and not an entire Symphony X album and all progressive works as a entire piece of work... IMO, you dont get it and should just listen to pop radio.
Dude, such a dick move. He's just starting to get into it. Let him evolve.

I'd say the closest album to V would be Twilight in Olympus. Divine Wings of Tragedy and The Odyssey are heavily favored here as well, for good reason.

hardly, first it could be fishing for songs to freely download, second if your going to get into a band you buy a LP and get into the band, you learn a band by listening to their full work. further as I said that is my opinion

It's quite interesting how someone can instantly jump to the conclusion that I'm 'fishing for songs to freely download.'
Thanks for the help everyone. By the way razoredge, if you actually bothered to read my post, I mentioned I would prefer if someone would recommend me a specific album. The way it usually works is, I listen to a song, if I like it, I explore the rest of the album, you have your way of getting into things and so do I, so don't pull this 'You don't get it' crap on me.

Thanks everyone

f'in funny, talk about blowing things out of context... read my first post, the second was in reference to single song considerations and how I feel about music, wasnt even directed at anyone just my feelings in general, and the third was to respond to the dick post. Here I will highlight a key word "it could be fishing"

glad I could help

Holy shit drama.

V and Odyssey are my favorite two albums from Symphony X.

Odyssey is more metal IMHO so I like it for that reason. V is really just perfect; in my opinion there isn't one bad track on the album. I think Odyssey has one or two tracks that I could live without like Incantations & Turning.

Paradise Lost, to me, is much more of a straight metal album with less prog. influence. Again, just my opinion...

Just stay away from the S/T album and possibly even Damnation Game.

Damnation Game is amazing; but I would say that Twilight In Olympus should be your next listen; followed by Divine Wings.

And The Odyssey should be saved for a special occasion while you're withdrawing from your addiction to the aforementioned albums.

If there are just some songs you want to check out on YouTube or something I would recommend:

Church of the Machine (from the album Twilight in Olympus)
Awakenings (from the album The Odyssey)

Oh, and I am also one of those diehard V fans. There are a lot of us, and for good reason! At first I thought maybe I was biased towards it because it was the first SyX album I heard (back when it was their newest release). The best way to describe it for me was posted somewhere above this..."magical".

Here are some certain songs:

|Song| | Album|
The Accolade - Divine Wings of Tragedy
The Accolade II- The Odyssey
Smoke and Mirrors - Twilight In Olympus
Damnation Game- Damnation Game
Revelation - Paradise Lost
A Lesson Before Dying- Symphony X
Church of The Machine (Live Version) - Live on The Edge of Forever

I started off with V and it has since been my favorite album, perhaps of all time (it ties with Ayreon's Into the Electric Castle for me). It also seems to be the band's most popular, next to Divine Wings. I say get Divine Wings.