Is V the quintessential Symphony X disc?

Which album is better?

• The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • V

Votes: 28 62.2%

• Total voters
Hmmm... I'm shocked that you chose Divine, Detective.

It's rare that I don't see eye to eye with you.

As for Sins being above Evolution... I have to disagree. both are similar to me, and close in quality... but I have always preferred Evo.

Ya, sort of similiar, difference being I can still enjoy the chorus of Sins, but not Evolution.

Evolution > Sins

I find Accolade, DWOT, Candlelight, and Eyes if Medusa to be brilliant songs. But the rest kinda just bore me now.

J-Dubs...what you are saying is that fans where actually part of the process at one point? I just cannot believe it!

yes, fans from the mailing list had been allowed to share in something of V prior to its release. However, one fan decided to take it upon himself to share in greater sense without asking. And that was the beginning of the end in a sense. They did something nice and they were taken advantage of by the same source they were trying be kind to. Put the logical hat on and think it through for yourselves.

Glenn

in all honesty i'd say Twilight is something i would tell a person to get first. i love every song.. altho given the 2 choices i chose V.. it's got some songs that bring back memories. and musically seems a little more diverse song to song.

DWOT has maybe 4 standout songs.. V has about 6

Hmmm... I'm shocked that you chose Divine, Detective.

It's rare that I don't see eye to eye with you.

As for Sins being above Evolution... I have to disagree. both are similar to me, and close in quality... but I have always preferred Evo.

I'm just usually in the mood for Divine Wings over V, that's all. I've been on V kicks before, mostly in the summer due to the desert theme (if that makes any sense), and it is a great album. But I honestly just see myself listening to Divine Wings more.

Sins beats Evolution in my book for one reason: I simply am not a huge fan of thrashier stuff. And while Sins is a faster song than Evolution at its core, the riffs are slower, chunkier, crunchier, and have more attitude. I like my music like I like my women.

in all honesty i'd say Twilight is something i would tell a person to get first. i love every song.. altho given the 2 choices i chose V.. it's got some songs that bring back memories. and musically seems a little more diverse song to song.

I wouldn't recommend it to a newcomer first, but I actually think I prefer the vibe on Twilight more than the one on V. It takes me longer to warm up to it, but some of the songs (Church, Looking Glass) can rival the band's best material from Divine Wings or V, or even their best material in general. It also contains two extremely underrated songs in Relic and Orion. Never cared for Lady though; it just doesn't do what Candlelight did for me. The album as a whole just has a very different feel to it, and one that I really like.

It is so cool that we have such an incredible band to debate over. It is my opinion that Symphony X
is the best single collection of musicians that there is. We are so fortunate to be able to listen to
such a fine band! I am beside myself waiting for the new CD. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.
I live in the SF Bay Area and will be seeing them May 8th at the Regency Ballroom. It is nearly impossible for me to choose my favorite CD. I have enjoyed reading all of your posts on this thread.
While we all have different reasons for which CD we think is the best, I think we can all agree that
Symphony X is our favorite band. That being said, although DWOT was my first Symphony X CD,
V has been my favorite for a while. The arrangements and orchestration are brilliant. But I still love DWOT. It is so hard to choose. If I have to rate all their CDs, in order they are:

1. V
2. DWOT
3. THE ODYSSEY
4. PARADISE LOST
5. TWILIGHT IN OLYMPUS
6. LIVE - OTEOF
7. THE DAMNATION GAME
8. SYMPHONY X

Does anyone have Michael Romeo's instrumental CD, The Dark Chapter. It was done before
Symphony X and was what MR used to get signed. It's very good. Get it if you can find it.

I have it, as well as Atomic Soul, and Enter by the twelfth gate!

You are right on many accounts, minus one my friend. Symphony X is not everyones favorite band on these forums. Which is fine, but also part of the issue with some debates that go on.

But as far as I go, they are my favorite band. And no band strikes me as hard as symphony x does. I love the bromance the band and I have! They are a great band together, as friends, live, and on the albums. Something very rare these days, and I do believe that shines through in their music.

Can't wait for the next album :kickass:

Does anyone have Michael Romeo's instrumental CD, The Dark Chapter. It was done before Symphony X and was what MR used to get signed. It's very good. Get it if you can find it.

Have it, like it. Track 9 is my favorite (the name escapes me), but I wish the album had better quality. Still, when a record company heard this, they asked MJR to form a band with this type of sound, and thus Symphony X was born. Yay! I wish they would've had Russ from day one, though...

For the sake of a short, yet concise answer, I get goosebumps whenever I listen to anything off of V. I feel like the gates to another time and dimension have been opened and I feel empowered with the awesome dark vibe and speedy aggression on this album. Not to mention that the musicality, musical aesthetic, and shaping on V are unmatched. Some of the other Symphony X albums (notably Divine Wings) come close, but I can't say the same about them.

Here's what I say...V is more of the metal album. TDWOT is more of a prog album. Me personally...I pick V cuz I think it's a good blend of metal and prog. Disagree all you want but I have a point and you know it lol.