best SX song moment?

FireMarshal

Jul 23, 2007
There may be a thread on this, I don't know, I don't frequent this board.

Anyway, I was listening to some SX, and had the thought

"What is the best SX song moment I've had?" concert or otherwise. I pretty much have four:

1) First time I ever listened to SX, I heard 'Of sins and shadows', and the part in the beginning made me KNEW they were going to be one of my favorite bands "Chaos is riding on the wiiiiiiinnnnd!"

2) The Odyssey. I get goosebumps everytime on the last verse. Amazing.

3) The Odyssey Live. :worship:

4) The Accolade I and II. It's amazing the aura SX creates for us in listening to these two incredible songs.

Anyway, just felt like I had to post that.

:headbang:

When I heard The Accolade for the first time
When I got my first symphony X CD, The Divine Wings Of Tragedy.
Those are the best so far. First live experience coming soon though!

Directly after seeing them do the encore of The odyssey at PP4 (first time ever performed live) and filing out when one of the security guards (who was obviously irritated that the encore was a half hour long) goes "you guys like this stuff?" And a few people responded "hell yeah man". He comes back with "Man... that was the longest bullshit I've ever seen". Still to this day, i laugh my ass off at that.

*shakes off rust* hi everyone.

A great SX moment for me is on the Live On The Edge Of Forever cd during Through The Looking Glass, Michael is building up one of his solo's and Russ says "just let it fly!" or something similar and Mikes solo just takes off. I couldn't stop smiling at this point.

The time when I first got into Symphony X was around the time that the Odyssey was released. I had downloaded Of Sin And Shadows, Eyes Of Medusa, Smoke & Mirrors, Church Of The Machine, Ecolution and King Of Terrors and Inferno.

I knew that SX were the band for me when I heard the choir vocals in Sins And Shadows and the insane guitar and keyboard solo's Smoke & Mirrors.

Church of the Machine. The whole song. Fucking beautiful.

The first time I heard Through The Looking Glass, im pretty sure the first thing I said was fuck Dream Theater, SX PWN!!11 If it were physically possible for my jaw to inexplicably remove itself from my face and hit the floor then it definately would have done so when I heard this song. One of the best songs in metal and prog.

That is all for now. I have not seen them live because I dont think they have been to Aus before and if they have then I definately wasn't into the band at that stage.

The "Triiiiiumphaaaaant - Champion of Ithaca" part of the Odyssey and 2:25+ of Candlelight Fantasia (kind of sounds like that part from the Odyssey). Also every moment of every song on the V album.

Directly after seeing them do the encore of The odyssey at PP4 (first time ever performed live) and filing out when one of the security guards (who was obviously irritated that the encore was a half hour long) goes "you guys like this stuff?" And a few people responded "hell yeah man". He comes back with "Man... that was the longest bullshit I've ever seen". Still to this day, i laugh my ass off at that.

the whole crowd shoulda jumped his ass.

When I first discovered them and recieved Damnation, The Devine Wings of Tragedy, Twilight in Olympus, and The New Mythology Suite and played them and played them and played them in their entirety, over and over. Doesnt happen often and did here with 4 full CD's.

The Live version of Communion and the Oracle, around 7:01. Russell tells the crowd to give it up, and the way the crowd meshes with the music at that point....*sigh* they need to play that song next time they tour.

I also like how gentle Russell is in A Winter's Dream (Prelude).

There's this amazing orchestral part right before the "Champion of Ithaca" section of the Odyssey. It's very slow and moody, and has a criminally short piano passage before it blasts off into "Champion..."

The guitar solo in Accolade II, like anything needs to mentioned about that.

The first chorus in "Accolade II" gives me chills; a lot of ppl laugh at SyX b/c of choruses like that ("ONLY THE RIGHTEOUS PREVAIL!!"), but I think much of their lyrics can be taken metaphorically and placed into situations of today's world.

:lol: The security guard at BB King's did the same thing!

The choral and instrumental intro to "Divine Wings of Tragedy." Truly a magical moment, the first time I heard it.

The instrumental/jazzy mid section of Awakenings is a real highlight, showing what else the group can pull off.

The Overture/Odysseus' Theme section of "The Odyssey." Being such a huge film score fan, this part has that feel and has always been a favorite of mine. And played live, what else needs to be said!