Heavier is not Worse

apu99992

New Metal Member
Aug 25, 2008
In my opinion, the Odyssey was the worst SX album as a whole (not including their self-titled debut) but I think that people get it wrong when they say it was bad because it was too heavy. I think the real problem, and I really noticed this after multiple listens, that this was a "live " album. What I mean by that is that the album has songs that t are much easier for SX to play live, kinda live metallica's intention w/ the "black album" after justice. Similar to metallica, SX went all out on the prog factor with "V", where every song was linked into the next song by a number of segues and transitions, and the songs were literally buried in layers of guitar keyboard and vocals. The next album, SX decided, needed to easier to play, not technically, but physically, meaning less keyboards sounds or guitar at once. Even the title track sounds less full than it's much better counterpart, divine wings. By losing the layers of keyboard and guitar the songs ended up feeling empty. What I'm trying to prove here is that heavier is not worse. DWOT in my opinion is the 2nd heaviest SX album, not the odyssey. The riffs are of the same breed as PL, and people consider them "classic" SX. Paradise Lost is the best sounding SX record, and while some people say it's over-produced I think that MJR got the best tone he's ever had on that record. It sounds so full, the clean tones sound crisp, and every note rings loud and clear. If SX continues in this direction, I think we can expect a mix up of the last 4 albums (not counting the odyssey). In other words...

Production: PL
Progginess: V
Song Writing
and structure: DWOT
Song Length: 20 minutes minimum :)

Song Writing

A fan can dream...

But I expect a release similar to PL, which is by no means a bad thing.

When I read the title of this thread I knew that my response would be "... Okaaaayy".

Now after reading the thread, all I have to say is...

...Okaaaayy

Hmm. Just goes to show you how much tastes vary. Odyssey is my favorite, followed closely by PL, with V a pretty distant 3rd (I'm a new fan, I only own 3 so far, I'm going to buy them in reverse order). Then again I've only listened to V all the way through a few times. The intro prelude, and Evolution are great, but after that it gets, really... proggy? But not in a good way. Maybe I just need to listen more. It's certainly not heavier! I'd say that overall the album is not heavy enough. It sounds more like Kansas than a metal band.

A question: I noticed that on V, Russell's vocals are mostly clean. Then on Odyssey, he gets harsher in spots, but still mixes it up quite a bit with clean vocals. Then on PL, he's mostly harsh, except for a couple of songs. Are the harsh vocals more of a new thing for Russ? Is he losing the ability to do the clean, soaring vocals? Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with his harsh side. Just wondering.

Strange. I always thought Paradise Lost was the worst album (not counting the first album) in terms of the song's depth. The quality was amazing but it doesn't have the long lasting appeal that Diving Wings and Odyssey had for me

Sure, at first I really enjoyed Set the World on Fire and Eve of Seduction alongside all of the other songs but they quickly started getting boring. Maybe it's because I think that the classical elements in their work is what has truly long-lasting appeal and Paradise Lost downplayed it.

At any rate Symphony X has shown with their work that they can pull anything off but what's gonna come next is most likely something like Paradise Lost...but I'll be happy if I see an Accolade 3.

A question: I noticed that on V, Russell's vocals are mostly clean. Then on Odyssey, he gets harsher in spots, but still mixes it up quite a bit with clean vocals. Then on PL, he's mostly harsh, except for a couple of songs. Are the harsh vocals more of a new thing for Russ? Is he losing the ability to do the clean, soaring vocals? Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with his harsh side. Just wondering.

Losing the ability for clean vocals?? Hardly. Title track from Paradise Lost is pretty fine example that he still possesses that ability. And live...yeah, he's on more often than not. Russ is just a beast of a singer. Amazingly talented and quite versatile in his singing ability. Oh yeah, check out his solo disc if you want to hear him stretch out beyond the realms of SymX.

Glenn

Just so you know, it's harder to do those harsh vocals than the clean ones. If he's able to do the harsh vocals I bet he'd do just fine with the clean ones.

I disagree...it really depends on the singer.

His best effort to date. But don't check out the Jorn/Allen discs...he got owned on those.

If you got the range, you got the clean vocals (it's just a matter of keeping key). The harsh vocals are harder because they take quite a toll on one's vocal chords.

His best effort to date. But don't check out the Jorn/Allen discs...he got owned on those.

The lyrics on Atomic Soul are fucking hilarious.

I disagree, however, at least regarding the first Allen-Lande disc. Because regardless of who takes top vocal honors, the album fucking smokes. The follow up effort, The Revenge, did nothing for me.

Even the title track sounds less full than it's much better counterpart, divine wings.

:OMG:

Divine Wings is my favorite Symphony X song, but let's face it - there's MUCH more going on in The Odyssey. The instrumental parts in particular have far more layers than those in Divine Wings. Just saying.

Song Writing
Song Length: 20 minutes minimum :)

But... you forgot Twilight!

^Eveybody always forgets Twilight :/

But regarding Allen - Lande CD's, I still haven't checked them out... Should I?