Sym X "Best song on each album" thread

MJR believed that it didn't fit the "flow" of the album. The lyrics are about space travel, so I could see where it wouldn't fit in lyric-wise, but musically it would blend in great! It's certainly a stronger song than Wicked, Incantations, or The Turning...

Well, obviously MJR has never heard of "Space Odyssey"! :) J/K

And I must ask you, how the heck are you able to figure out those time signatures?

Am I the only one wondering when the hell at least ONE member of SX will chime in on this(their) forum? This thread just kinda reaffirmed that thought...

Thanks in advance to those will are going to point out that they all have day jobs...

Jax...perhaps your thoughts on this matter as a fan and not a moderator?

Clarence, I gotta ask why you seem to dislike The Turning? I've seen you elude mention on a few threads and I'm just curious is all. Personally, it might be 2nd or 3rd favorite on The Odyssey.

It's not that I dislike it, but it is without a doubt my least favorite from The Odyssey. I don't like the tonality of the song, and it is one of the few Symphony X songs that doesn't have much feeling in it (in my opinion).

I kinda feel the same way as Clarence about The Turning. It's not that I hate it...it just seems rather standard and "filler" when compared with much of the album. Kind of like "Seven" on PL.

Agreed. I do think it is filler on The Odyssey (along with Incantations, perhaps), but I do think it is stronger than the filler on other albums (Pharaoh, The Witching Hour). I vehemently disagree about the Seven thing, though. It may be weaker than many of the songs on Paradise Lost, but it seems to have an attitude that The Turning lacks. Plus it has a bass solo. I represent the low end.

And I must ask you, how the heck are you able to figure out those time signatures?

Which time signatures? In Frontiers, you mean? The bass solo part took me a while, as it's highly polyrhythmic. I'll send you the bass tab if you want.

Am I the only one wondering when the hell at least ONE member of SX will chime in on this(their) forum? This thread just kinda reaffirmed that thought...

I think you might be the only one, rocky. No offense, man, but you really demand a lot when it comes to this band. I understand you are a fan, and you are loyal, and you aren't happy with setlists, and you don't think the band has enough of a web presence, but you take it so intensely personally that it sounds like SX should owe you some life debt.

We all buy their albums and concert tickets, yet, I don't feel like the band should respond to every pithy thing I post on a message board. It's a fan board, for chatting with other fans, it's not a direct web feed to Michael Romeo's basement.

The only time I've ever seen band members post often was the old Megadeth boards, and because of this, the boards became a fascist dictatorship where anything Dave Mustaine didn't agree with was deleted.

I think that if there was a specific docked thread of questions for the band, maybe one submitted question per member a week or something, that would be cool (based, of course, around their time commitments).

Beyond that, I'm totally fine without seeing Jason Rullo comment on page 734 of the "Random Shit" thread.

I think you might be the only one, rocky. No offense, man, but you really demand a lot when it comes to this band. I understand you are a fan, and you are loyal, and you aren't happy with setlists, and you don't think the band has enough of a web presence, but you take it so intensely personally that it sounds like SX should owe you some life debt.

We all buy their albums and concert tickets, yet, I don't feel like the band should respond to every pithy thing I post on a message board. It's a fan board, for chatting with other fans, it's not a direct web feed to Michael Romeo's basement.

The only time I've ever seen band members post often was the old Megadeth boards, and because of this, the boards became a fascist dictatorship where anything Dave Mustaine didn't agree with was deleted.

I think that if there was a specific docked thread of questions for the band, maybe one submitted question per member a week or something, that would be cool (based, of course, around their time commitments).

Beyond that, I'm totally fine without seeing Jason Rullo comment on page 734 of the "Random Shit" thread.

No offense taken, though I sincerely doubt I'm the only one. For me, it all comes down to just exactly what is SX? A hobby, a job, a passion, etc...? There are times where I am unsure of the answer. If a band is simply a means to an end, i.e. merely a way to pay the bills, then ok. In that case I would understand the motivations behind certain decisions and adjust my expectations accordingly. If a band is nothing more than a hobby, then once again I have a different set of expectations from them as a fan. If the band is the product of a passionate vision shared by all members of the band, then I would suggest that is when we, as fans, get the best results. You can question my opinions, perspectives and expectations of SX all you want and I'm happy to discuss how I feel. But I certainly don't operate under the assumption that they owe me anything. That said, it doesn't mean I won't continue to want the best possible product in regards to setlists, interviews, band participation, etc...

Also, even within the confines of the UM boards I can think of lots of band members who occasionally pop on for various reasons, though it's usually just a way of keeping their finger on the pulse of their fanbase. I agree there's no need to have Jason Rullo chiming in on a "Video of me playing something" thread. But honestly, it's like you think I'm asking for an autographed pair of MJR's boxers and a vial of Russell's toe-nail clippings to obsess over. Not the case at all. We are constantly reminded by Jax that this is SX's home(on the web of course.) Therefore, is this request that far fetched?

No, I don't think it's that far fetched as some bands do indeed show up in their forum once in a while. But I'm still totally ok with it. Maybe they just don't feel like it's necessary for them to appear here or haven't thought about the matter at all.

i have had multiple questions answered by Erik Ravn of wuthering heights on their forum, and Finn Zierler comments on the Beyond twilight Forum.

as far as the Sym x guys are concerned, i used to think i would see them post... but that was a long time ago. they have better things to do with their time. still couldn't hurt for A band member to check maybe once a month. righ now, we can't expect any seeing as they are on tour.

Which time signatures? In Frontiers, you mean? The bass solo part took me a while, as it's highly polyrhythmic. I'll send you the bass tab if you want.

Well, all of them as a matter of fact. You seem to be good at that sort of thing. What exactly does polyrhythmic mean?

Well, all of them as a matter of fact. You seem to be good at that sort of thing. What exactly does polyrhythmic mean?

Polyrythmic means there is two (or more in some cases) beats played against each other. A good example is the led zeppelin song Kashmir. It is 3/4 played over 4/4. Also, the song Ground zero from Planet X is a 5/8 pulse over a 7/8 (I think) pulse.

Polyrythmic means there is two (or more in some cases) beats played against each other. A good example is the led zeppelin song Kashmir. It is 3/4 played over 4/4. Also, the song Ground zero from Planet X is a 5/8 pulse over a 7/8 (I think) pulse.

Well explained. Symphony X does this in almost every song of theirs, and it's usually found in the keyboard part (the most common instrument in Symphony X to stray from the drum beat). Communion and the Oracle is littered with polyrhythmic keyboard piano parts, as is Eyes of Medusa. You just have to keep your ears open for repeated patterns in the instruments that don't sync up.

A more recent example would be the verses of Domination, where the keyboard plays the main riff over a syncopated bass and guitar riff. I forget what the drums play, but I think it's in 4/4 and the kick drum follows the chugga-chuggas of the bass/guitar combo.

Oh ok. I knew what it was, I just did not know the correct terminology. Claude Debussy does it a lot too. :) I know exactly what you mean now, thanks for the example in Domination.

SX - Not gonna lie...I really can't listen to anything off this cd.
DG - Edge of Forever
DWoT - The Accolade
TiO - Through the Looking Glass
V - Communion
O - The Odyssey
PL - Paradise Lost

....I guess I'm a sucker for epic and melodic. Huh.

I was going to reply, but this is exactly what I had in mind. Odyssey is a little tough though; Accolade II is a consistently better listen, but the The Odyssey has more value in it overall.

Sx - (I never listen to this one either but if pressed to choose)- "Premonition"
Damnation Game - "The Edge Of Forever"(but "A Winter's Dream" is so close)
Divine Wings - "Divine Wings Of Tragedy"
Twilight - "Orion - The Hunter"
V - "Communion And The Oracle"
Odyssey - "Wicked"
Paradise Lost - "Paradise Lost"

SX - Masquerade (The Russ version is much better)
DG - The Edge of Forever (Gorgeous!)
DW - Candlelight Fantasia (MJR Melts my heart in this song)
TO - Through the Looking Glass (First Symphony X song I ever heard <3)
V - A Fool's Paradise ("Decades of greed, plague, famine and
war - we can't go on like this anymore" Lovely use of lyrics)
O - King of Terrors (Sucker for Poe, and Russ sounds so f'in great RAWR!)
PL - The Sacrifice (At the very end of the song "My love" as sung by Russ almost makes me teary every time)