Ultimate Symphony X DVD Live Set-list

apu99992

New Metal Member
Aug 25, 2008
If Symphony X every released a live dvd (around 2 1/2 hours), I think this would be the set list to use.

1) Prelude
2) Evolution
3) A Fool's Paradise
4) Smoke and Mirrors
5) Set the World on Fire
6) Paradise Lost
7) Revelation---Segues into Divine Wings of Tragedy
8) Inferno
9) Through the Looking Glass
10) Church of the Machine
11) Accolade 1+2
12) Masquerade 98'
ENCORE: The Odyssey
2nd ENCORE: The Edge of Forever (my fav Sym X song)

Total Estimated Length: 139 minutes

I think this is a very reasonable set list, and would be aweosme if they used it on their live DVD. Feel free to add your own set list, just make sure it's under 2 1/2 hours.

Pretty good, I think we could maybe get about half of these (if a DVD ever comes). I just don't think they would play the Accolades and The Edge of Forever (although they all rule).

Anyway, I'm not too worried about what kind of set list they could come up with, there's not really much chance for it to suck.

They do play the accolades pretty often, but 4 some reason it wasn't on the live album. As for the edge of forever, I know there's not much hope of them playing that song.

no band plays for 2 1/2 hours.

*Ahem*

Manowar.jpg

*ahem*

ELÄKELÄISET 10 YEARS – HUMPPA MARATHON

Finland / Suomi
Documentary // 30min// Beta // b&w
Director: Jan Ijäs
Photography: Jan Ijäs, Pekka Jokinen
Production: Janmik-Films Oy

A documentary on the longest humppa in the world, though condensed to a length of half an hour. The film documents the 25-hour-long gig played by Eläkeläiset on a trailer pulled by a tractor at Provinssirock Festival in 2003.

They do play the accolades pretty often, but 4 some reason it wasn't on the live album. As for the edge of forever, I know there's not much hope of them playing that song.

Why the fuck don't they play The Edge Of Forever? that's a bummer.

Why the fuck don't they play The Edge Of Forever?

They don't think it sounds good live.

I'd like to see these songs on a DVD release (in no particular order):

Set the World on Fire
Domination
Serpent's Kiss
Paradise Lost
Eve of Seduction
The Walls of Babylon
Revelation
Accolade II
King of Terrors
Awakenings
The Odyssey
Evolution
Fallen
Communion and the Oracle
Egypt
Smoke and Mirrors
Church of the Machine
Through the Looking Glass
Out of the Ashes
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Dressed to Kill

Dream Theater? :p

I'd have something like:

Oculus Ex Inferni
Set The World On Fire
The Accolade / Accolade II
Smoke And Mirrors
Walls Of Babylon
Seven
Revelation
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
----------------------------
Prelude/Evolution
Fallen
Communion And The Oracle
Egypt
Death Of Balance
Rediscovery Pt 1 & 2
--------------------
The Odyssey

Something like that...

they NEED to play the edge of forever. I would just KILL to hear that song live. Anyway, i think that if they did release a live DVD, the hardcore fans would buy all the tickets in a matter of minutes so they could easily play some songs off the damnation game.

I think Awakenings would be awesome somewhere there. Also, King Of Terrors as it's one of the best heavy one's. And definetly Egypt.

I would like to see something like this...

Oculus Ex Inferni
Set the World on Fire
Evolution (The Grand Design)
Fallen
Of Sins & Shadows
In the Dragon's Den
Paradise Lost
Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
Wicked
Masquerade
Domination
Egypt/Death of Balance
Smoke & Mirrors
Revelation (Divus Pennae Ex Tragoedia)
-----------------------------------
The Odyssey

Depends on the band. Mahogany rush play for over 3 hours, but that's not metal
I saw them open for Kansas in 1979!

Yes (one of the Kings of Prog, but not metal) played almost 3 hours (with an intermission) on the Union tour. In spite of what you might think of the Trevor Rabin-era music, that lineup of Howe/Rabin/Squire/Andserson/Wakeman/Kaye/Bruford/White was simply amazing on stage. That was really a show to see, and in all my concert-going years, still my all-time favorite show. And then in 2000, Yes played for over 2 hours, even with having Kansas as their opener.

And (don't make fun of me, damnit!) Journey played a good 2 1/2 hours (with an intermission) when I *took my wife* (yeah, dat's it, took my wife!) to see them, some time in the late 90s, when Steve Augeri was in the band. :oops:

Maiden played for 2 hours this past tour.

But yeah, most bands play for 90 minutes or so. And the bigger a band gets, the more they also tend to favor their most popular songs, so that the maximum number of audience members will like the show. Many bigger bands tend to stay away from their most intricate, proggy, obscure music on stage, often much to the chagrin of their hard-core fans. But the hard core fans in the audience are usually outnumbered by the casual fans, so they try to keep it simple.