Your dream Symphony X show

Revised setlist:

The venue would be in Athens, Greece at an ancient temple for the gods (idk of any that still exist). There will be huge screens all around the place that show computer animated scenes inspired by the album artwork and lyric concepts.

Since this setlist is longer, there will be no opening act. This event will be titled "Twilight in Athens: An Evening with Symphony X".

Act 1:
1. Prelude from V
2. Evolution
3. Fallen
4. Eyes of Medusa
5. Pharaoh
6. Accolade I/ Accolade II
7. Out of the Ashes
8. Smoke and Mirrors
9. Through the Looking Glass

Intermission

Act 2:
10. Sonata/ In the Dragon's Den
11. Sea of Lies
12. Of Sins and Shadows
13. Church of the Machine
14. Egypt
15. Death of Balance / Lacrymosa
16. Absence of Light
17. A Fool's Paradise
18. Divine Wings of Tragedy

Encore:
19. The Odyssey
20. Rediscovery Part I and II

I can't stand seeing my favorite bands with opening acts; the probability that I'll discover a new band that I'll love over enjoying my favorite band play an hour or so longer is extremely low.

Anyway, two different set lists here for two different nights...

-----

NIGHT 1: WRATH OF THE GODS

The Damnation Game
Domination
Smoke and Mirrors
Inferno
Church of the Machine
Serpent's Kiss
Incantations of the Apprentice
The Eyes of Medusa
Orion - The Hunter
Eve of Seduction

-INTERMISSION-

Out of the Ashes
Set the World on Fire
King of Terrors
The Relic
Sea of Lies
Frontiers
Seven
Wicked
Masquerade
Of Sins and Shadows

-ENCORE-

The Walls of Babylon
Dressed to Kill

-----

NIGHT 2: SYMPHONY X WITH SYMPHONY Y (Orchestra) AND SYMPHONY Z (Choir)

V: The New Mythology Suite (in its entirety)

-INTERMISSION-

Through the Looking Glass
The Accolade (Medley)
Paradise Lost
A Winter's Dream (both parts)
Awakenings
Candlelight Fantasia
The Edge of Forever

-ENCORE 1-

Oculus ex Inferni
Revelation (Divus Pennae ex Tragoedia)
The Divine Wings of Tragedy

-ENCORE 2-

The Odyssey

-----

Yes, I know each set is REALLY long. But it's MY dream (and perhaps yours, too).

I can't stand seeing my favorite bands with opening acts; the probability that I'll discover a new band that I'll love over enjoying my favorite band play an hour or so longer is extremely low.

Anyway, two different set lists here for two different nights...

-----

NIGHT 1: WRATH OF THE GODS

The Damnation Game
Domination
Smoke and Mirrors
Inferno
Church of the Machine
Serpent's Kiss
Incantations of the Apprentice
The Eyes of Medusa
Orion - The Hunter
Eve of Seduction

-INTERMISSION-

Out of the Ashes
Set the World on Fire
King of Terrors
The Relic
Sea of Lies
Frontiers
Seven
Wicked
Masquerade
Of Sins and Shadows

-ENCORE-

The Walls of Babylon
Dressed to Kill

-----

NIGHT 2: SYMPHONY X WITH SYMPHONY Y (Orchestra) AND SYMPHONY Z (Choir)

V: The New Mythology Suite (in its entirety)

-INTERMISSION-

The Accolade (Medley)
Paradise Lost
Awakenings
Candlelight Fantasia
The Edge of Forever

-ENCORE 1-

Oculus ex Inferni
Revelation (Divus Pennae ex Tragoedia)

-ENCORE 2-

The Odyssey

-----

Yes, I know each set is REALLY long. But it's MY dream (and perhaps yours, too).

I hated the first night but could only dream of going to the second night. I live off of great melodies and atmosphere.

I live off of great melodies and atmosphere.

Me too. I've always preferred Symphony X's epic stuff to their shorter, less-keyboard-involved metal songs. The way they use their keyboard on songs like Communion, Odyssey, Looking Glass, etc. makes them unique; take it away and they're one step closer to being "another metal band."

The first night was mainly for metalheads and moshers (although moshing would take place in a specialized cage underneath the main floor in front of the stage; if people want to act like animals, they can be treated like them). All moshing, crowd surfing, etc. is prohibited the second night, and strictly enforced.

Man, you guys hate metal more than I thought. Now I'm going to perpetually worried at every show I go to that some guy is going to think I'm an asshole for headbanging.

The first night was mainly for metalheads and moshers (although moshing would take place in a specialized cage underneath the main floor in front of the stage; if people want to act like animals, they can be treated like them). All moshing, crowd surfing, etc. is prohibited the second night, and strictly enforced.

I'm digging some of the deep cuts in your setlist, but the nights are too similar. Remember what Rullo said? "You have to make it like a roller coaster." As you have it, the first night is like a Gravitron and the second night is like waiting in line at Space Mountain.

I'm digging some of the deep cuts in your setlist, but the nights are too similar. Remember what Rullo said? "You have to make it like a roller coaster." As you have it, the first night is like a Gravitron and the second night is like waiting in line at Space Mountain.

Meh I don't really like the idea of a mixed bag. Symphony X have 2 very very different sides and to mix them would work at a general concert but for a very very special performance like if they let me choose what I wanted them to play, I would ask them to stay with the prog. For another fan, he might ask they just play the metal.

Meh I don't really like the idea of a mixed bag. Symphony X have 2 very very different sides and to mix them would work at a general concert but for a very very special performance like if they let me choose what I wanted them to play, I would ask them to stay with the prog. For another fan, he might ask they just play the metal.

I agree that their proggier/softer stuff resonates more with me, but let's look at this for a second:

In one set, according to The Detective, you have:

The Accolade (Medley)
Paradise Lost
Awakenings
Candlelight Fantasia
The Edge of Forever

Isn't that kind of like going to see The Rolling Stones and having them only play Wild Horses? I love all of these songs, but I feel like dropping the heavy stuff on one night and the soft stuff on another completely misrepresents the entirety of who Symphony X is as a band.

I would kill to hear the second setlist Det. posted, but you have to admit it would be a pretty one-mood affair.

I agree that their proggier/softer stuff resonates more with me, but let's look at this for a second:

In one set, according to The Detective, you have:

The Accolade (Medley)
Paradise Lost
Awakenings
Candlelight Fantasia
The Edge of Forever

Isn't that kind of like going to see The Rolling Stones and having them only play Wild Horses? I love all of these songs, but I feel like dropping the heavy stuff on one night and the soft stuff on another completely misrepresents the entirety of who Symphony X is as a band.

I would kill to hear the second setlist Det. posted, but you have to admit it would be a pretty one-mood affair.

Not really. Most people probably like 98 percent of SX fans want to hear a show with a mixed setlist but I know for one if it was my dream show I'd just want to hear prog. All of their songs have different personalities and atmospheres, not one sounds the same. Also there are many sections such as in the Odyssey that get pretty heavy. It's not all mono tone. The songs within themselves change a lot.

If I ever had the money I would hire Symphony X to play my birthday party. I would give MJR a check and tell him to fill in his desired amount. No bullshit.

The gig would take place at Rudy's bar in NYC. All of my best friends would attend and women would get in for free. People would be able to smoke and I would also have the bouncer screen for cops and deny them entry. It would be open bar(yes, top shelf) and free food(which the latter is anyway).

The setlist would be as follows:

Instrumental Intro - The lights go totally dark and Romeo plays a new variation on a theme by Ludwig Van Beethoven.

Set 1:

In The Dragon's Den
Wicked
Pharaoh
Communion And The Oracle
Orion The Hunter
The Accolade 1 & 2
Egypt(extended piano outro segues into)~
Paradise Lost
Eve Of Seduction
Dressed To Kill
Michael Romeo Guitar Solo/Dueling Michaels
A Winter's Dream(Parts 1 & 2)

ONE HOUR INTERMISSION

Set 2:

Rediscovery Part 1 intro(w/lights dimmed) followed by Rediscovery Part 2
Sea Of Lies
The Relic
Candlelight Fantasia
Lady Of The Snow
Revelation
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy

Encore:

The Edge Of Forever :kickass:

The band kicks back and drinks for a while and everyone assumes they are done. After a while, they disappear. And then all of a sudden...

THE ODYSSEY :headbang:

Actually I would just be happy to be somewhere that I could sit down occasionally and the temperature wasn't 95 degrees inside, and where the beer and bottled water were under 60 degrees, and the bathroom actually had a door. So far the places I've been able to see them play have been appallingly dirty, dangerously hot, and had absolutely nowhere to sit but the sticky, dirty floor, if you could find a spot where you wouldn't get trampled. One would hope that, due to their rising popularity and fan following, they could get better venues. Here's hoping that with the changes, that will be the case. If not, I will suffer to see them no matter what. I am a die-hard, rabid Symphony X fan of the greatest devotion.

Actually I would just be happy to be somewhere that I could sit down occasionally and the temperature wasn't 95 degrees inside, and where the beer and bottled water were under 60 degrees, and the bathroom actually had a door. So far the places I've been able to see them play have been appallingly dirty, dangerously hot, and had absolutely nowhere to sit but the sticky, dirty floor, if you could find a spot where you wouldn't get trampled. One would hope that, due to their rising popularity and fan following, they could get better venues. Here's hoping that with the changes, that will be the case. If not, I will suffer to see them no matter what. I am a die-hard, rabid Symphony X fan of the greatest devotion.

Agree totally. Which is why as much as I like the bands that I do, it's sometimes just such a hassle to go to shows and and actually enjoy it. Symphony X is probably one of the few metal bands I'd actually go to see but its a shame venues are always crappy.

Seeing as how Symphony X is only my second favorite band (sorry), my dream SX concert would be:

Suspye (my favorite band), doing A Great Divide in it's entirety, with Siren: One Last Breath as an encore. Or just do The Singer a second time. I never get tired of that song.

Followed by...

Synphony X doing V in it's entirely, with Church of the Machine and Divine Wings of Tragedy as encores (make use of that choir)

Both accompanied by a real orchestra and choir of course. And seeing as how I'm 35, no teenage "mosh pit" type idiots allowed (non idiots are fine though).

I want it to be here in Argentina (Oh yeah!) at "El monumento a la Bandera", which is in Rosario (where I'm from).

Intro - Prelude
Evolution
Church of the Machine
In the Dragon's Den
Wicked
Of Sins and Shadows
The Walls of Babylon
Set the World on Fire

---INTERLUDE---

The Odyssey

---BAND SEEMS TO GET THE HELL OUT---