Best track on each album?

A Lesson Before Dying
The Edge of Forever
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Looking Glass
A Fool's Paradise
The Odyssey
Revelation

While I like pretty much every song by Symphony X, the above are the most sublime to me. They are actually not the ones I listen to most, though. Their lengthiness leaves a bigger impression and makes them stick out more in my mind, but makes them a bigger bite to digest at one time.

Runners-up include:

Masquerade
Damnation Game (great intro), Dressed to Kill (great everything), Winter's Dream (great mood, imagery and chorus)
The Accolade
The Relic (very solid overall, and unique middle section), Orion the Hunter (first song I heard from the band, and some really great images/moods evoked ["Child of the oceans I am"...])
Communion and the Oracle (great ambience and grooves), Rediscovery Pt. 2 (some really cool stuff in here that I haven't found anywhere else in Symphony X; really captures that "Atlantis" feel...4:30-4:50 = cool!)
King of Terrors, The Turning (1:36-1:48 is simply awesome)
The Sacrifice--my favorite guitar solo anywhere by anyone. The emotion just drips off of the fretboard, and there is a perfect control of tension and release. The technique and chops come across in a very organic way, and 3:08-3-16 is such a satisfying phrase.

Revelation is a SymX song, so it definitely ain't bad. :cool:

However, I'm afraid I don't like it that much either. Don't get me wrong here. Musically it's nothing short of great, ESPECIALLY the instrumental parts. Still, for some reason it kinda bores me.

For me, it lacks that magic that tracks like The Odyssey have. That thing that keeps you really interested. Also, unlike those tracks, it gets more 'boring' after a few listens.

That's just me though (...oh, and Zach).

it's just the opposite for me - i think the odyssey is their weakest epic, it felt long just to be long with no real connection in themes between the parts that made DWoT so great, and the lyrics, let's face it, are just stupid at points. 'to return would make my dream come true?' give me a break... also not much was done with the sirens, circe, cyclops, etc. to set any sort of mood that reminded me of them. it just sounded like a really long dream theater song with no point. the start and finish are much better than the middle, however.

^ Gee, the total opposite is true for me:

1- Best Epic.
2- The 'connection in themes between the parts' is simply perfect.
3- Solid and catchy lyrics (especially in the middle, yeah I'm not TOO keen on the very first part, but the middle dark stuff is simply awesome!). Starting from "Behold the sea and winds of Jove" till the end. I don't see them written any better by any other band.
4- The music is just awesome. I consider the track's overture as a true classic tune in metal history. The instrumental parts, solo's, and orchestral passages are brilliant.
5- The production is a pleasure to the ear. I love how the drums sound and how well they combine with the bass. The keyboards, acoustic and clean guitars sound great. Fair enough for the distorted guitars and bass. The orchestral samples could be better especially the horns (I think Romeo used the old Vienna Symphonic Library stuff here, he seemed to have updated his sample libraries with PL. I think he switched to newer libraries which indeed sounded much better).

Guess we won't agree there. But oh well, we still listen to the same band.

Cheers :kickass:

it's just the opposite for me - i think the odyssey is their weakest epic, it felt long just to be long with no real connection in themes between the parts that made DWoT so great, and the lyrics, let's face it, are just stupid at points. 'to return would make my dream come true?' give me a break... also not much was done with the sirens, circe, cyclops, etc. to set any sort of mood that reminded me of them. it just sounded like a really long dream theater song with no point. the start and finish are much better than the middle, however.

I agree! The symphonic parts are quite boring and sound like taken from some old Holywood flick, Spartacus maybe. And the heavy parts are quite dull as well. Nothing new to be heard. Only the last part is good. Champion of Ithaca, and thats because of the chorus.

^ I dis'friggin'agree.

I am surprised as it's the first time I see someone who checked out the odyssey (whether he's into metal or not) implying that it's musically uninteresting.

The symphonic parts are quite boring and sound like taken from some old Holywood flick, Spartacus maybe.

Strange.
If all old Hollywood movie scores sounded as proggy as The Odyssey's overture (listen from 1:00 to 2:00), I would spend every day listening to those.

And the heavy parts are quite dull as well. Nothing new to be heard.

That's a completely unfair comment.

There are bunches of totally brilliant riffs and interesting odd-signature stuff (heavy, or orchestral, or both) in the odyssey that you don't hear everywhere and are the total opposite of "dull".

If you want, I can point out many parts within the track to back up my argument above.

Cheers

^ I dis'friggin'agree.

I am surprised as it's the first time I see someone who checked out the odyssey (whether he's into metal or not) implying that it's musically uninteresting.

Strange.
If all old Hollywood movie scores sounded as proggy as The Odyssey's overture (listen from 1:00 to 2:00), I would spend every day listening to those.

That's a completely unfair comment.

There are bunches of totally brilliant riffs and interesting odd-signature stuff (heavy, or orchestral, or both) in the odyssey that you don't hear everywhere and are the total opposite of "dull".

If you want, I can point out many parts within the track to back up my argument above.

Cheers
Thats not necessary.:) It wouldn't change my mind. When I don't like something, it's useless to try and convince me to like it. Altho its not that I dislike it so much, but it doesn't do anything particular to me. Divine Wings was much better. More focused, more melodic, everything. And not as long.:lol:

Thats not necessary.:) It wouldn't change my mind. When I don't like something, it's useless to try and convince me to like it. Altho its not that I dislike it so much, but it doesn't do anything particular to me. Divine Wings was much better. More focused, more melodic, everything. And not as long.:lol:

Haha, nah I'm not trying to convince you to like it or anything. :)

Just trying to be fair to the song. I mean somebody must come and say: "Bullshit! The Odyssey rules! :headbang:"

Yeah Divine Wings is a masterpiece TOO. :D

Haha, nah I'm not trying to convince you to like it or anything. :)

Just trying to be fair to the song. I mean somebody must come and say: "Bullshit! The Odyssey rules! :headbang:"

Yeah Divine Wings is a masterpiece TOO. :D

I wish they hadn't broken up Twilight in Olympus into pieces. That would've been maybe their best epic.

I dunno, to me the odyssey just seems to go on an on, as if it was long just for the purpose of being long. then suddenly it's like, oh okay time for the champion of ithaca section. i dunno, it just doesn't connect well for me. also, i disagree with the lyrics being even decent - he actually says "this is the end of my odyssey" at the end of the song. that is so stupid i shouldn't have to point it out. I don't know if the band was asleep at the wheel on this one, because i feel the rest of the album has pretty good lyrics.

as for it being more interesting musically, maybe it would help if i was referred to some parts specifically so i could appreciate them better. i swear, it just sounds like dream theater to me, though. which is fine, but i think SX is generally better with making their stuff...cohesive.

Ok, I have too much time in my hands so I'm going to point my favourite parts in The Odyssey while listening to it.

1. The intro, I especially like the part starting at 2.00 ->

2. The guitar lead at 3.00 is awesome

3.The first verse is simply greatness. The guitar plus singing in it is simply one of the defining moments of Symphony X for me. Especially 5.40 where the distorted guitars get in, the build up is just so good.

4. I love the way the verse section changes to the tricky riff part at 6.06.. Plus, the whole section from 6.05 on to the solo starting after 7 minutes is just fantastic.

5. The first solo's are AMAZING

6. Next amazing part kicks in at around 9.33 with a fantastic riff... Gotta love the way Russell is singing here "Awakened at dawn - Land dead ahead
with the winds of the morning we change course
no remorse, a place forbidden to all..."

7. First you get this instrumental section and the comes the piano at ... 12.15 I think. This part is simply beautiful.

8. I also like that unique part from 12.54 to 14.45 or whatever when comes the climax with an amazing guitar lick followed by a killer riff.

9. Going at 16 minutes and I realize that I like just about everything in this song and I know that the ending that is coming is superb so that's all I have to say. If you don't like it, then you don't like it. I like everything in it.

These, plus the fact that the skill used to play all the instruments is mind-blowing.

What I don't like about the Odyssey is that the climax is too good. It over shines the rest of the song too much. If I listen to Keeper of the Seven Keys for example, I have a hard time picking out a favorite part. It's still Symphony X's magnum opus though.

Ok, I have too much time in my hands so I'm going to point my favourite parts in The Odyssey while listening to it.

3.The first verse is simply greatness. The guitar plus singing in it is simply one of the defining moments of Symphony X for me. Especially 5.40 where the distorted guitars get in, the build up is just so good.

4. I love the way the verse section changes to the tricky riff part at 6.06.. Plus, the whole section from 6.05 on to the solo starting after 7 minutes is just fantastic.

6. Next amazing part kicks in at around 9.33 with a fantastic riff... Gotta love the way Russell is singing here "Awakened at dawn - Land dead ahead

7. First you get this instrumental section and the comes the piano at ... 12.15 I think. This part is simply beautiful.

8. I also like that unique part from 12.54 to 14.45 or whatever when comes the climax with an amazing guitar lick followed by a killer riff.

9. Going at 16 minutes and I realize that I like just about everything in this song and I know that the ending that is coming is superb so that's all I have to say. If you don't like it, then you don't like it. I like everything in it.

These, plus the fact that the skill used to play all the instruments is mind-blowing.

The piano part at 12.15 is beautiful, but it lasts too short. Russell's voice is beautiful as well. But the part that follows it is not strong enough to follow it up.

I second that. :headbang:

Symphony X - Masquerade
The Damnation Game - The edge of forever
The Divine Wings of Tragedy - The accolade
Twilight in Olympus - Church of the machine
V - The New Mythology Suite - Abscence of light
The Odyssey - Accolade II
Paradise Lost - The Walls of Babylon

..damn that was difficult :headbang:

Welcome to the forums!

I don't really find myself disliking anything in the Symphony X catalogue. But the long debate between the Divine Wings of Tragedy and the Odyssey I would say some down to personal opinion. I prefer the Odyssey, I find it plays smoother. And the song is based on a journey, so it makes sence that you're taken on one. I don't find it gets old or tiring. However the ending of DWOT is fucking sweet, and many other parts. But I just find it sounds to empty at times. Still one of my faves, but when comparing it to the Odyssey, the Odyssey wins!