Rank your top 5 Symphony X albums (and post your top 3 songs from each album)

Hmm...

V: The New Mythology Suite >Rediscovery Prt II >Evolution >The Communion and the Oracle

The Odyssey >The Odyssey >Awakenings >Accolade II

The Divine Wings of Tragedy >The Divine Wings of Tragedy >The Accolade >Candlelight Fantasia

Paradise Lost >Domination >Paradise Lost >Walls of Babylon

Twilight In Olympus >Through the Looking Glass >Church of the Machine >Lady of the Snow

Just for shits and giggles I'll list the entire list :)
-------------------------------------------

Damnation Game >Damnation Game >The Edge of Forever >Winters Dream Prt II

Iconoclast >Reign in Madness >Heretic >Electric Messiah

Symphony X >Masquerade >Shades of Grey >Absinthe and Rue

@ TRAPSMASTER: They are still progressive metal, but lean way more to the power metal side. As for the lyrics, most people will tell you its not the cheesy part of them. but rather the lack of trying. Paradise Lost wasn't nearly as bad as Iconoclast in that sense. Take Bastards of the Machine as an example, "flip the switch you son of a bitch" ??? "The bastards...of the machine...The bastards...of the machine..." Its just lacking in creativity, or any type of feeling. Which makes it sound, empty and stupid.
And as for the 'elitist' on here, or any great musician on this forums will say. That the music is no where near as cleverly written, or as difficult to play. I personnally enjoy both the albums. And in some ways they bring Symphony X to new HIGHS. But on many others aspects, they flop on what made Symphony X...Well Symphony X to begin with! So this is why alot of people give the albums grief. Especially when it took Symphony X almost 10 years to write both Paradise Lost and Iconoclast. Meanwhile you have three of their greatist albums released within a six year time frame. 1997 - Divine Wings of Tragedy / 2000 - V: The New Mythology Suite / 2002 - The Odyssey. So alot of the fans, fell onto this metaphorical roller coaster that was going up, and up. But than just stopped, or dropped with an anticlimactic 2 foot drop. Which they call Paradise Lost, followed by Iconoclast. Personnally, myself I enjoy both albums, and don't think they are bad. But they are NO V, Odyssey, DwOT!

These lyrics aren`t stupid.
"Is this life worth a question why?
Or is this life is just a lie?
`Cause my eyes are cold and numb
And I don`t know what the hell I`ve become"

"Enslaved and hypnotized
Chained to artificial lifes
You are the Bastards of the Machine"
- in fact, few billions people now are Bastards of the Machine

"Is this all we have to show?
Is this all they'll ever know? Can they find their way?
What went wrong? Where have all the heroes gone?
Trading future for a song we gave away"

"Selection - mass dissection
Rebuild, refine

Creation - modification
Becoming something more
Mutations - bred to infect
Erase, restore"

That`s not stupid lyrics.

Though I won't bag on all of the lyrics, some examples are incredibly juvenile:

"My dying eyes scream with pain
All my hopes and my dreams drown in flames
And all the lies shine so bright
All the souls of the world light up the night"

"We are strong
We will stand and fight
We are strong
We will stand and fight"

"We rule, we fly
Above the lights of the neon sky
We fight, we cry
The Lords of Chaos will never die"

Now, I don't believe SX's lyrics have ever been brilliant, but these are just beyond sophomoric. Then there is this line, which may be the worst thing they've ever put to paper:

"We never question why, still I wonder why?"

Wondering is questioning. They are closely related synonyms. It's like saying, "We are never hungry, but still I'm hungry." No. Ugh. Now I'm upset, again! :yell:o_O:yuk:

Then there is this line, which may be the worst thing they've ever put to paper:

"We never question why, still I wonder why?"

Wondering is questioning. They are closely related synonyms. It's like saying, "We are never hungry, but still I'm hungry." No. Ugh. Now I'm upset, again! :yell:o_O:yuk:

Well, it really depends on how you interpret it. Questioning seems to me more like verbal, actually asking, whereas wondering is completely in one's mind. Also, perhaps the character feels he is the only person wondering, looking around him and seeing that everyone accepts things as they are, seemingly without resistance, only referring to himself and them collectively as he feels he is part of the group, yet also an exile in terms of mindset. Furthermore, it could mean he is wondering why they don't question, which is different from the questioning itself.

The short answer, of course, is that the lyrics are not very well written, but your "We are never hungry, but I'm still hungry" comparison doesn't necessarily work in this case.

The difference between Russell Allen penned lyrics on songs like say, "Sea Of Lies" and songs like "Lords Of Chaos" is fucking frightening and staggering.

I think it's a clear case of "we need a few filler songs for this album to pad the length, so just write whatever you have down and I'll throw it over these Pantera riffs I have."

Strangely, though, the terrible lyrics are not limited to just a few songs -- they're spread pretty evenly throughout most of the album. Russ happened to pen the lyrics to (in my opinion) the three weakest tracks from the album -- Electric Messiah, Light up the Night, and Lords of Chaos. Coincidence? I'm not sure...

Beyond that, we have some truly awful lyrics in the title track, Dehumanized, Bastards of the Machine, When All Is Lost, and the amazingly redundant "strike them down, strike with power" from Reign In Madness. Symphony X has never really been masters of lyrical quality, but Iconoclast's wording makes Paradise Lost look genuinely poetic by comparison.

MJR is just as much responsible for this mess as Russell is.

I think it's a clear case of "we need a few filler songs for this album to pad the length, so just write whatever you have down and I'll throw it over these Pantera riffs I have."

Strangely, though, the terrible lyrics are not limited to just a few songs -- they're spread pretty evenly throughout most of the album. Russ happened to pen the lyrics to (in my opinion) the three weakest tracks from the album -- Electric Messiah, Light up the Night, and Lords of Chaos. Coincidence? I'm not sure...

Beyond that, we have some truly awful lyrics in the title track, Dehumanized, Bastards of the Machine, When All Is Lost, and the amazingly redundant "strike them down, strike with power" from Reign In Madness. Symphony X has never really been masters of lyrical quality, but Iconoclast's wording makes Paradise Lost look genuinely poetic by comparison.

MJR is just as much responsible for this mess as Russell is.

Yeah, that's true. And I think Thomas Millers' presence made them write better lyrics back then. I mean "Candlelight Fantasia" is brilliant lyrically, as well as musically.

I really really hope the songwriting will be a band effort on the next album, instead of this Romeo/Allen - show they've run on the last two albums. Of course, if the last 2 albums had been great, we probably wouldnt mind too much about it, but since that's not the case it's really an issue imo. The music have got weaker, the lyrics have got weaker.... one of the many things I like about Symphony X is how the band members compliment each other so well, and that all instruments are playing a role (V being probably the best example).

Nowadays it's mostly just a Romeo riff-fest with some keyboards, and the drums and bass not making a difference in the overall sound. Add to that Russell's growing use of harsh vocals (which he can use in the average band called Adrenaline Mob) and some rather lame lyrics (though it's true what people here have said; SX has never been lyrical masters), and it’s clear to see how the mighty fallen….

I really really hope the songwriting will be a band effort on the next album, instead of this Romeo/Allen - show they've run on the last two albums.

Same. It's really a shame to see the other three members of the band get so snubbed (particularly Lepond and Rullo).

Still, I'm not convinced we're going to see a return to the sound of say the first five albums even if the whole band pitches in, at least not at the moment. Romeo's talked at length in recent interviews about how he longs for the days when you would pick up the latest Sabbath or Judas Priest album, would pop it in your stereo and just be like "fuck yeah", in which case PL and Iconoclast are immensely successful, being sweet riff-heavy albums with some great guitar/key solo work, but ultimately that's not what many of us think of when we hear Symphony X. So long as he (and Russ) have that sort of attitude, I find it doubtful we're going to get something along the lines of V or Divine Wings. A return to the sound of the Odyssey isn't too far-fetched an idea, though.

Also, though I and many others here would like a return to the older style, I've seen a lot of people who think SX have only improved with age. I have one friend for example, who has listened to every SX album, and claims the older stuff just bores him to tears. He thinks the Odyssey is so-so, PL rocks, and IC is superb (his words, not mine!). So long as fans like that are out there, it'll probably be hard for them to resist putting out more of what has gotten them so successful in recent years.

Well, it really depends on how you interpret it. Questioning seems to me more like verbal, actually asking, whereas wondering is completely in one's mind. Also, perhaps the character feels he is the only person wondering, looking around him and seeing that everyone accepts things as they are, seemingly without resistance, only referring to himself and them collectively as he feels he is part of the group, yet also an exile in terms of mindset. Furthermore, it could mean he is wondering why they don't question, which is different from the questioning itself.

The short answer, of course, is that the lyrics are not very well written, but your "We are never hungry, but I'm still hungry" comparison doesn't necessarily work in this case.

I completely agree with your assessment. The lyrics can absolutely be left up to interpretation, that's the beauty of lyrics. I am being very harsh simply because it is a pet peeve. I do simply believe that the lyrics are very poorly conceived.

No ever TRIES to write a bad song. Call it laziness, over-simplification, or lack of quality control, but I cannot believe that anyone sat around saying, "write whatever you want and we'll just throw it on top of the music."

This is difficult... my opinion has changed over time and very well may change again but for now I guess it would be something like this... the album order is not really listed from 1 to 5 but V is my favorite album overall.

V: Rediscovery (it's basically one song), A Fool's Paradise, Communion and the Oracle
Divine Wings: Of Sins and Shadows, Out of the Ashes, Candlelight Fantasia
Twilight in Olympus: Looking Glass, Smoke and Mirrors, Church of the Machine
The Odyssey: The Odyssey, Awakenings, Accolade II
Iconoclast: Iconoclast, Reign in Madness, When All is Lost

I love Iconoclast. In my opinion this album is the best piece of music I`ve ever heard (and I heard a lot of metal/rock albums). I don`t understand why so many people bitching about these lyrics, SX always was and will be incomprehensible, now they`re just no subtle. Yep, "My dying eyes scream with pain" and "We will never find a way that darkness lights the day - We never question why" are stupid, but anyway lyrics are amazing. Music fits perfectly to the text and sometimes (like in Heretic and Iconoclast) every single note fits perfectly to the main "music idea" of the song.
"We are strong
We will stand and fight" x2 by choir... You didn`t realize that Iconoclast is specially made by this way: classic power metal lyrics & ideas (like choirs or "battle riffs") and progressive-symphonic intro, outro and solo?
And why you`re talking about The Lords of Chaos? Do you understand this song? If you do, plz tell me what the hell is going on, because I have no idea about what they`re talking about.
"Forged in blood" Ehm...?
"Right before your eyes, you`ve always known" About what?
"If only you were king" Who is "you"?
"Can`t you see what they`re doing to you and me?" No, what they`re doing? Who are they?
"We rule" Wait, wait, wait... If you rule, what the fuck means "If only you were king"?
"We fight, we cry" Why? Against whom?
"The Lords of Chaos will never die" What the hell Lords of Chaos have to do with this?
"All you see must be destroyed" Why?
"Show them all your demon sign" Why this guy has demon sign?
"There`s no time to waste" Why?
"It`s poison" What is poison? Time?
"Moving fast they`re in your head" What?
"Day and night, you hold them in your hands" Again, he must be king of something, so why did you say "If only you were king"
I don`t know why, I love lines "Infection spreads in the blood of the damned" and "The true and the lies - it`s all the same, it`s just a game", so I won`t say anything bad about this.

Someone should make a parody of SX lyrics (also old), because it`s really easy and funny.

Sorry for my English.

I love Lords of Chaos. This song reminds me good old times - '80s and '90s and it`s more classic rock than progressive metal. It`s completely different than other 11 power-progressive stuffs.

I've listened to enough SX lately to make an informed choice now:

1) V - The New Mythology Suite- Egypt; Communion and the Oracle; Rediscovery pt II.
2) The Divine Wings of Tragedy - The Divine Wings of Tragedy; Candlelight Fantasia; The Accolade.
3) Twilight in Olympus - Through the Looking Glass; Lady of the Snow; In the Dragon's Den.
4) The Odyssey - The Odyssey; The Accolade II; Awakenings.
5) Paradise Lost - Paradise Lost; Revelation (Divus Pennae ex Tragoedia); Oculus ex Inferni.

1) Divine Wings of Tragedy - Divine, Out of the Ashes, The Accolade
2) Odyssey - Odyssey, King of Terrors, Inferno
3) V - Evolution, Fool's Paradise, Abscene of Light

1) The Divine Wings of Tragedy - The Accolade, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Candlelight Fantasia
2) The Odyssey - Accolade II, King of Terrors, Inferno
3) Paradise Lost - Set the World on Fire, Domination, Paradise Lost
4) The Damnation Game - A Winter's Dream, The Damnation Game, Whispers
5) V: The New Mythology Suite - Communion and the Oracle, Evolution (The Grand Design), Egypt

1) Iconoclast - Iconoclast, Dehumanized, When All is Lost
2) Paradise Lost - Domination, Serpent's Kiss, The Walls of Babylon
3) The Divine Wings of Tragedy - The Accolade, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Candlelight fantasia
4) Twilight in Olympus - Through the looking Glass, Lady of The Snow, Church of The Machine
5) Symphony X - Shades of Grey, A Lesson Before Dying, The Raging Season

SX has been my favorite band for a long time and I know all of their songs like the back of my hand.
:headbang:
1) Paradise Lost - I really can't decide on my favorite songs from this album! But number one is definitely Paradise Lost. My other two favorite songs from this album are a toss up between The Sacrifice, Serpent's Kiss and Set the World on Fire (Lie of Lies).
2) The Odyssey - The Odyssey, Accolade II, Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
3)V: The New Mythology Suite: Egypt, Rediscovery pt. 2: The New Mythology, A Fool's Paradise
4) The Divine Wings of Tragedy - Candlelight Fantasia, The Eyes of Medusa, The Divine Wings of Tragedy
5)Iconoclast - The End of Innocence, Prometheus (I Am Alive), Toss up between Electric Messiah and Children of a Faceless God

Other notable songs:
Twilight in Olympus - Through the Looking Glass (Part I, II, III), Smoke and Mirrors
The Damnation Game - The Edge of Forever