Rank your top 5 Symphony X albums (and post your top 3 songs from each album)

Revision:
1. Damnation Game- Edge of Forever, Winters Dream, The Haunting
2. Twilight in Olympus- Lady of the Snow, Smoke and Mirrors, Through the Looking Glass
3. The Odyssey- The Odyssey, Accolade II, Wicked
4. V The New Mythology Suite- Egypt, Evolution, Fallen
5. Paradise Lost- Domination, Paradise Lost, Set the World on Fire
Honorable Mention is Divine Wings of Tragedy- Sea of Lies, Divine Wings of Tragedy, Sins and Shadows

okay, even if it's late to the party...time to chime in for me:

1. V - The New Mythology Suite: Communion and the Oracle, Egypt, Fallen

2. Iconoclast: Reign in Madness, Bastards of the Machine, Children of a Faceless God (I really don't get all the hate for those last two songs, while also not getting the love for Prometheus, which I in turn absolutely loathe)

3. Twilight in Olympus: Through the Looking Glass, Orion - The Hunter, Lady of the Snow

4. The Divine Wings of Tragedy: The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Pharaoh, The Accolade

5. Paradise Lost: Serpent's Kiss, Set The World on Fire, Paradise Lost

I really don't listen much to The Odyssey, because besides Accolade II, King of Terrors, Awakening and Odyssey, I don't like the rest of the songs at all.

Damnation Game and s.t. have nice songs, but are just too sloppy for regular play to me (= not feeling tight enough).

I actually really like Dressed To Kill, Secrets, Heretic, and The Turning. I don't think Damnation Game and the Odyssey have any filler. The filler for Iconoclast would have to be Children of a Faceless God and, if we're including the deluxe songs, Lords of Chaos.

I think it's funny that tastes can be sooo different. I always (except in the new and exciting phase) thought that the Odyssey contained a lot of fillers that really didn't do anything to me except bore me to tears (resulting in me constantly skipping them).
On the other hand I really like Children of a Faceless God with it's groove and melodic chorus, while skipping Electric Messiah, Prometheus, Light Up the Night and Lords of Chaos (that last one only most of the time). And I still think that it was a missed opportunity to make Iconoclast into a real concept album by rearranging the songs to create some kind of storyline and connecting them by creating little interludes.

Just because I like myself a little statistics, I compiled all the data collected here into a single overview just for the fun of it.
I rated every album that wasn't mentioned in the top 5 of their author or the text of their post as a "7". Since there are 8 albums in total, that seemed like a good middleground to me.

So the arithmetic averages for the album ratings are (31 participants for the votes):
6,80 - Symphony X (Into the Dementia, Rapture or Pain)
5,63 - The Damnation Game (Savage Curtain)
2,63 - The Divine Wings of Tragedy (The Witching Hour)
4,47 - Twilight in Olympus
2,43 - V-The New Mythology Suite (Transcendence, On The Breath Of Poseidon)
3,57 - The Odyssey
4,90 - Paradise Lost
5,69 - Iconoclast (The Lords of Chaos)

Behind the album names are the songs that nobody had on their lists - if any (so maybe these can be considered the least liked or at least not liked a lot by anyone :) ). In the case of V, I would consider this an effect of the two being only segues.

When you look at the numbers as a whole, they look like they are roughly mirroring with TiO as their middle (with only Odyssey slowing the descent by 1 album). So let's just hope we don't get another Symphony X - rated album as their next release :D

I will post song-related data later (with using "5" ratings for the songs that were not mentioned).

Ok, I know this thread has been around forever, but somehow over the years I neglected o give Symphony X a shot in my metal world and over this past Thanksgiving holiday I was able to come across a discount for the digital download of V: The New Mythology Suite and was immediately blown away. So much that I also downloaded The Odyssey as well. Now I will say I believe that I have became a fan of Michael Romeo and his incredible, technical guitar fretboard prowess. As a fan of guitar shredders, what album should I go with next? Divine Wings? Damnation Game? Just throwing it out for some advice.

Reactions: Baroque
It's been awhile! This is a tough question.

In order from best to least best:

Underworld:::Underworld > Kiss of Fire > Legend
>
The Odyssey:::Awakenings > Masquerade > The Odyssey
>
V:::Fool's Paradise > Fallen > Evolution
>
Divine Wings of Tragedy:::Out of the Ashes > Sea of Lies > Candlelight Fantasia
>
Paradise Lost:::Set the World on Fire > The Sacrifice > Domination

1. V: The New Mythology Suite
    1. Rediscovery
    2. Communion and the Oracle
    3. Fallen
  2. The Odyssey
    1. Awakenings
    2. Frontiers
    3. The Odyssey
  3. Divine Wings of Tragedy
    1. Out of the Ashes
    2. The Eyes of Medusa
    3. The Divine Wings of Tragedy
  4. Underworld
    1. Legend
    2. Charon
    3. To Hell and Back
  5. Twilight in Olympus
    1. Orion - The Hunter
    2. Through the Looking Glass
    3. Church of the Machine

Well if you ask me. I love literally every song SX has made. So what I list is not going to be a top countdown list. I'm just gonna simply list the 3 songs that according to my ipod, I have the most views on. Besides that, asking me which album I like more along with the songs is like asking me, "What do you prefer more? Porterhouse steak, spaghetti, a bacon cheeseburger, meat lovers pizza or a chinese dish with chow mein noodles with sesame chicken?" I'll just be like, FUCK! Don't make me choose. I can't decide, I love it all! I'll just eat the whole damn thing! Anyways I'm gonna list every album and yes including the debut album that nobody apparently gives a shit and gets no love (regardless of production quality), as well as the dark chapter by Mr. Romeo. Which I really love and it some form is part of Symphony X.

The Dark Chapter -
1. Noit Al Ever
2. The Masque of the Red Death (tied with Cask of Amontillado)
3. Psychotic Episode

Symphony X -
1. Premonition
2. A Lesson Before Dying
3. Absinthe and Rue (tied with Raging Seasons)

The Damnation Game -
1. The Haunting
2. The Damnation Game
3. The Edge of Forever

TDWOT -
1. TDWOT
2. Candlelight Fantasia
3. Witching Hour

Twilight in Olympus -
1. Through the Looking Glass
2. In the Dragon's Den
3. Orion - The Hunter (Tied with The Relic)

V -
1. Rediscovery pt.2
2. Evolution
3. The Death of Balance/Lacrymosa ( Lol three tied with Absence of Light and Egypt)

The Odyssey -
1. The Odyssey
2. Awakenings
3. Accolade 2

Paradise Lost -
1. Revelation
2. Oculus Ex Inferni
3. The Walls of Babylon (Tied with Paradise Lost)

Iconoclast -
1. Iconoclast (Probably the most played of them all)
2. When All is Lost
3. Reign in Madness

Underworld -
1. Kiss of Fire
2. Overture (Tied with Underworld)
3. Swan Song (tied with Legend)

1st song I ever listened to and blew me away was: Iconoclast
1st album I listened from start to finish and made me a fan: Symphony X
The album that made me appreciate Progressive/neoclassical/symphonic/power metal and made me explore outside of thrash and death metal: The Divine Wings of Tragedy.

So yeah that's me as a SX fan.

Last edited:
1: The Odyssey
I) The Odyssey (my favourite song of all time, just ahead of A Change of Seasons from DT)
II) Accolade II
III) Awakenings

2: V
I) Rediscovery Pt.II
II) A Fool's Paradise
III) Absence of Light/Evolution/Fallen/Egypt (I really can't choose...)

3: Divine Wings of Tragedy (tied with Olympus)
I) The Divine Wings of Tragedy
II) Candlelight Fantasia
III) The Eyes of Medusa/Of Sins & Shadows

4: Twilight in Olympus (tied with Divine)
I) Through The Looking Glass
II) Lady of the Snow
III) Church of the Machine

5: The Damnation Game
I) The Edge of Forever
II) A Winters Dream (both parts equally)
III) The Damnation Game

My favourite songs from the Post-Odyssey period are When All is Lost, Swansong, The Sacrifice, Reign in Madness & Paradise Lost. Other than that, they have become too predictable composition-wise :( I must admit I am happy for the bands recent success though, but the price (lack of neo-prog) is too damn high imo.

I can't rank the albums; I love them all minus the debut and Iconoclast (the former due to the singer). But I'll try to pick my top three from each...

Damnation Game
- Edge
- Dressed
- Winter's Dream pt. 2

Divine Wings
- Divine Wings
- Candlelight
- Accolade

Twilight
- Looking Glass
- Church
- Orion

New Mythology
- Communion
- Rediscovery (both parts as one)
- Egypt

Odyssey
- Odyssey
- Accolade II
- Awakenings

Paradise Lost
- Babylon
- Revelation
- Domination

Iconoclast
- Heretic
- Prometheus
- Reign

Underworld
- Kiss
- Underworld
- Swan Song

1. V: The New Mythology Suite (Egypt, Communion and the Oracle, Fallen)
2. The Divine Wings of Tragedy (Title track, Of Sins and Shadows, The Accolade)
3. Twilight in Olympus (Through The Looking Glass, In the Dragon's Den, Lady of the Snow)
4. The Odyssey (Inferno, title track, Awakenings)
5. Damnation Game (Winter's Dream, The Edge of Forever, Whispers)

My top 5, haven't been listening to all of their albums properly, though:

1. V - egypt, communion and the oracle, fallen
2. Divine wings - title track, the accolade, of sins and shadows
3. The odyssey - title track, inferno, the accolade II
4. Paradise lost - set the world on fire, title track, eve of seduction
5. Iconoclast - title track, end of innocence, prometheus