Rank your top 5 Symphony X albums (and post your top 3 songs from each album)

1) Paradise Lost (Revelations, Set The World On Fire, Paradise Lost)
2) V (Evolution, Fool's Paradise, Absence Of Light)
3) The Odyssey (The Odyssey, Kings Of Terrors, Wicked)
4) DWOT (Of Sins And Shadows, Accolade, Candelight Fantasia)
5) Iconoclast (Iconoclast, End Of Innocence, Dehumanized)

other notable songs: Thorns Of Sorrow, Edge Of Forever, Eve Of Seduction and, err, Light Up The Night

1. DWoT - Of Sins and Shadows, Accolade, DWoT
2. V - Egypt, Evolution, Rediscovery pt. 2
3. Odyssey - The Odyssey, Inferno, Wicked
4. Twilight in Olympus - In the Dragon's Den, Church of the Machine, (don't really listen to other songs off this album)
5. Paradise Lost - Oculus Ex Inferni, Set the World on Fire, Paradise Lost

personally, i will probably be listening to Symphony X for a long time. I'm not really into their newer stuff, starting from Paradise Lost. I don't like their newest album Iconoclast and wish they would make more stuff like dwot and V although i know that they want to go in a different direction.

1- V - Fallen, Egypt, Rediscovery pt. 2.
2- Iconoclast - When All is Lost, Iconoclast, Dehumanized
3- TDWOT - The Accolade, Candlelight Fantasia, Out of the Ashes
4- The Odyssey - The Odyssey, Awakenings, Inferno
5- The Damnation Game - The Edge of Forever, Dressed to Kill, In a Winter's Dream pt.1

1. V- Rediscovery, Egypt, Fallen
2. Paradise Lost- Paradise Lost, Seven, Set the World on Fire
3. Damnation Game- Edge of Forever, The Haunting, Winter's Dream
4. Divine Wings of Tragedy- Divine Wings of Tragedy, Sea of Lies, Candlelight Fantasia
5. Twilight in Olympus- Lady of the Snow, Smoke and Mirrors, Through the Looking Glass

Honorable Mention: The Odyssey- The Odyssey, Accolade II, King of Terrors

Well...Since I haven't done this...
1. Twilight in Olympus- Through the Looking glass, Lady of the Snow, Orion the Hunter
2. V- Rediscovery pt II, Egypt, Communion and the Oracle
3. The Divine Wings of Tragedy- Candlelight Fantasia, TDWOT, Of Sins and Shadows
4.The Damnation Game- The Edge of Forever, Whispers, A Winters Dream
5. Symphony X- A Lesson Before Dying, Masquerade, Premonition

But actually... A Lesson before dying MIGHT be my favorite of ANY Symphony X songs. Its just too good...

Wow, I put Iconoclast to the second here. I sometimes do that. I guess I'm happy with that. I don't like ultimate categorizations, end stabile rankings sometimes. And the song Iconoclast MUST be in the list somehow. Haha.

I`ve read hundreds of posts here and I still have no idea why 2 new albums are so hated.

1. Iconoclast - Iconoclast, Heretic, Reign in Madness (even though that`s my favourite album of all time, so I should write all songs except Light Up the Night)
2. Paradise Lost - Revelation, The Walls of Babylon, Seven (even though that`s my second favourite album of all time :D)
3. V - Egypt, Fallen, The Death of Balance/Lacrymosa
4. The Divine Wings of Tragedy - The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Sea of Lies, The Eyes of Medusa
5. The Odyssey - Inferno, The Turning, Incantations of the Apprentice

If anyone`s interested, my third favourite album of all time is Orbit Dance by myGRAIN.

Honestly? Personally, with the last two, I feel like they've stopped trying. I think those are what your talking about because i skimmed this earlier.

Now, I don't believe SX's lyrics have ever been brilliant, but these are just beyond sophomoric. Then there is this line, which may be the worst thing they've ever put to paper:

"We never question why, still I wonder why?"

Wondering is questioning. They are closely related synonyms. It's like saying, "We are never hungry, but still I'm hungry." No. Ugh. Now I'm upset, again! :yell:o_O:yuk:

That line bothers me a bit too, but it's possible that what he means is, 'I wonder why we, as a species, don't question why.' Also, 'closely related synonyms'? As opposed to distantly related, or unrelated, synonyms? What does that mean? They're either synonyms or they aren't (aren't, in this case). I know I sound like an ass right now, but in a discussion where people are being pedantic about lyrics, it seems apropos to say something about this. :p

Agreed. It's in my Symphony X filler album:

1. Shades of Grey (Symphony X)
2. Secrets (Damnation Game)
3. Pharaoh (DWOT)
4. Orion the Hunter (TiO)
5. Absence of Light (V)
6. The Turning (Odyssey)
7. Serpent's Kiss (PL)
8. Heretic (Iconoclast)

Nice to know the worst of Symphony X isn't all that horrible though.

well except shades of grey. lol

Haha wrong..Shades of grey is tolerable. Id say the first albums filler would be Taunting the Notorious. That may be the one SX song ive never been able to bond with... well, and Dressed to Kill

Agreed. It's in my Symphony X filler album:

1. Shades of Grey (Symphony X)
2. Secrets (Damnation Game)
3. Pharaoh (DWOT)
4. Orion the Hunter (TiO)
5. Absence of Light (V)
6. The Turning (Odyssey)
7. Serpent's Kiss (PL)
8. Heretic (Iconoclast)

Nice to know the worst of Symphony X isn't all that horrible though.

well except shades of grey. lol

Haha wrong..Shades of grey is tolerable. Id say the first albums filler would be Taunting the Notorious. Thats filler if i ever hear one. That may be the one SX song ive never been able to bond with... well, and Dressed to Kill..

Absence and Orion are great.

Didn't really notice this thread, choosing my top 5 Sym X albums would be easy but choosing songs from each one is more difficult....Because I don't really pay attention to the tunes on a Sym X album when I listen to it.

1. The Divine Wings of Tragedy - The Divine Wings of Tragedy, The Accolade, Medusa's Eyes
2. The Odyssey - The Odyssey, The Accolade II, Awakenings
3. Symphony X - Taunting the Notorious, Thorns of Sorrow, Shades of Grey
4. Twilight in Olympus - Church of The Machine, Looking Glass, Smoke and Mirrors
5. Paradise Lost - The Walls of Babylon, Paradise Lost, Serpent's Kiss

Pretty much that, If I really have to pick favorites. I guess my selections aren't very far away from others here.

V: Fool's Paradise, Evolution, Rediscovery.
The Devine Wings of Tragedy: Pharaoh, The Devine Wings of Tragedy, Candlelight Fantasia.
Twilight in Olympus: In The Dragon's Den, Through The Looking Glass, Smoke and Mirrors.
The Odyssey: The Odyssey (of course), Incantations of The Apprentice, Accolade II.
The Damnation Game: A Winter's Dream part.1 and 2, The Edge of Forever, Secrets.

I must say I had some difficulty in choosing the order of the albums and the songs in each. For example, it was very tough to choose between V and TDWOT and just three songs from each album, given that both are very solid albums. I'd like to mention Absence of Light, even though I could not include it.

V: Fool's Paradise, Evolution, Rediscovery.
The Devine Wings of Tragedy: Pharaoh, The Devine Wings of Tragedy, Candlelight Fantasia.
Twilight in Olympus: In The Dragon's Den, Through The Looking Glass, Smoke and Mirrors.
The Odyssey: The Odyssey (of course), Incantations of The Apprentice, Accolade II.
The Damnation Game: A Winter's Dream part.1 and 2, The Edge of Forever, Secrets.

I must say I had some difficulty in choosing the order of the albums and the songs in each. For example, it was very tough to choose between V and TDWOT and just three songs from each album, given that both are very solid albums. I'd like to mention Absence of Light, even though I could not include it.
those are nice choices.
many people consider absence of light to be just another filler track, but I also like it enough to almost put it in the top 3.

those are nice choices.
many people consider absence of light to be just another filler track, but I also like it enough to almost put it in the top 3.

Thanks for saying this!! People seem to forget this awesome track!

Agree it is a good tune indeed. Not the best on the album for me atleast, but, I certainly dont consider it a filler.

I like the intro to Absence of light, but the verse is not very interesting and the chorus sounds like it could be from their first album(kind of sloppy in a way).

V: Fallen, Egypt, Rediscovery part II.
The Divine Wings of Tragedy: The Accolade, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Candlelight Fantasia.
Twilight in Olympus: Church of the Machine, Through The Looking Glass, Orion the Hunter
The Odyssey: The Odyssey, Accolade II, Awakenings
The Damnation Game: The Edge of Forever, Dressed to Kill, The Damnation Game.

Haha wrong..Shades of grey is tolerable. Id say the first albums filler would be Taunting the Notorious. That may be the one SX song ive never been able to bond with... well, and Dressed to Kill

I actually really like Dressed To Kill, Secrets, Heretic, and The Turning. I don't think Damnation Game and the Odyssey have any filler. The filler for Iconoclast would have to be Children of a Faceless God and, if we're including the deluxe songs, Lords of Chaos.