Heavier is not Worse

Yes, but they suck too (IMO) :heh:. When he 'sings' he has the best voice I've ever heard - period. When he 'screams' or whatever you call that crap it's like every other metal band out there .... boring .... he (and SymX) are much better than that.

Give me an album of the same quality as DWOT and I'll be dancing in the aisles

I disagree. I think he sounds better with a bit of grit in his voice. It gives the songs more energy and just sounds better imo. Personally I think Paradise Lost is the best SX album.

I'd agree that "getting heavier" is not the issue. The new SX is probably one of the least heavy CDs I bought this year. For me, The Odyssey and Paradise Lost are similar (in a sense) to Queensryche's Empire or Metallica's Black album; excellent discs, but not what I wanted from those respective artists. Be it QR off the heels of O:Mc, Metallica off of AJFA or SX coming off V, I wanted those artists to continue along the path they were blazing, not opt for simpler, less original, more song-focused direction.

Zod

You really compared the Black Album to Paradise Lost?
No... I wasn't comparing those two disc. I said that both bands, along with Queensryche, followed up masterpieces (...And Justice for All, Operation: Mindcrime, V: The New Mythology Suite) with CDs that were very good, but a departure from the more desirable style.

Zod

No... I wasn't comparing those two disc. I said that both bands, along with Queensryche, followed up masterpieces (...And Justice for All, Operation: Mindcrime, V: The New Mythology Suite) with CDs that were very good, but a departure from the more desirable style.

Zod

I think you were pretty clear...I agree...'cept I really don't like any Metallica...and I also don't like Empire...but I do get your point and agree.

He has Justice in the parentheses after "masterpieces". Looks like he's referring to Justice as the masterpiece. I could be wrong.

Hmm...maybe I'm wrong...I was assuming he was listing the albums that had the following release as a departure of style...that would make more sense to me based on his examples.

Justice is a masterpiece. Puppets is, too, but it was followed up by a masterpiece (Justice). Justice was followed by the s/t, which was a great album, but nothing like the previous two.

I actually believe Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All are all masterpieces. And in truth, I like Ride and Master better. However, I used AJFA because it preceded the Black album and I thought it would illustrate my point.

Zod

Yes, his point's clear, but I think the turn in style was between Master and Justice.
While there was a slight change sonically, the intensity, heaviness and complexity remained similar. I always felt that the production was the greatest difference. However, the differences between AJFA and the Black album are night and day.

Zod

However, the differences between AJFA and the Black album are night and day.

Zod

I agree 100%... while the differences between MOP and AJFA was night and day as well. I find the only noticable logical progression with metallica was between RTL and MOP. Any other realeases have been complete changess of direction.... unless you count Load and Reload... but I don't count those...lol