Heavier is not Worse

Lets hope that SX doesn't become MEtallica and release 3 pop albums in the next 10 years :) But we all know that unlike Metallica SX are not going to change.

I'd rather see them do a drastic change. Even though I've enjoyed all their albums so far, i'm getting tired of the style. There's no evolution whatsoever.

I'd rather see them do a drastic change. Even though I've enjoyed all their albums so far, i'm getting tired of the style. There's no evolution whatsoever.

Hmm...how so? I mean, I don't entirely disagree with you, but I feel SX has progressed a little. If they make albums that sound like Paradise Lost for the next 15 years, though, I'll be pretty bored too.

Where would you hope for them to go, soundwise?

Hmm...how so? I mean, I don't entirely disagree with you, but I feel SX has progressed a little. If they make albums that sound like Paradise Lost for the next 15 years, though, I'll be pretty bored too.

Where would you hope for them to go, soundwise?

They have progressed indeed, but progressed in a style they've grown accostumed to. They really haven't changed their style since the second album, and that's an awful lot IMO. They've just made really small steps from album to album.

What I hope? don't know really. Expanding their influences would be a good start, at least for one album. It would be nice to see them try some jazz in their music. A good example of change is Adagio. They started as a pure neo-classical metal band and from album to album they've become darker. Adding more progessive elements and influences from other styles (blackish screams on some songs, for example).

A good example of change is Adagio. They started as a pure neo-classical metal band and from album to album they've become darker. Adding more progessive elements and influences from other styles (blackish screams on some songs, for example).

I can't wait for Archangels in Black. Dominate was cool, but Underworld has always been my favorite. You're right about them progressing, though. They certainly have gotten darker over the years.

Before I say anything else let me say I still like my Symphony X from time to time, I have over played them quite some time ago but I still dose up every now and then. I do agree with those that feel they have not changed much. Paradise Lost is still growing on me but it was obvious from the first I listened to it that it was more of the same with alot of moments that sounded way too fimiliar... but possibly less epic, or just that I heard all the others first and was used to their "epic". Still I hear all the elements used in previous recording, so I actually dont get the "PL is heavier" or PL doesnt have the softer more thoughful moments. Russ is in the harsh state of vocals most of the time, sounding a bit courser than previous recordings. Im not sure what they can change, it is their sound and where do they go to not be following any latest trends ? Get darker ? Dont we really have enough "dark" bands ? Seems to me SX has been about hope, not gloom and doom, I'll be damned if I find anything invigorating about becoming "black", worshipping the dead or goat sacrifice lol. "Blackish Screams"... please give me a break... hopefully that is not supposed to be a show of great inspirational talent, it seems everyone can do it but few can actually sing.

Symphony X is actually a very seasoned band, 14 years/7 albums, its just possible we have heard their best, bands typically do their best work in their early years, they deserve credit for not sucking or being extremely redundent by this point in time by comparision to so many other bands. Hopefully there is a few great pieces of work left in them that I can enjoy, I suspect that there is and it should be something that they feel and comes naturally to them, not forced in a fashion to appease any latest trends.

I'll be damned If I keep hearing the same album over and over :rolleyes:. Have you even heard the band in question?

I can't wait for Archangels in Black. Dominate was cool, but Underworld has always been my favorite. You're right about them progressing, though. They certainly have gotten darker over the years.

I agree, Underworld is my favorite. To be honest, I didn't enjoy Dominate all that much, but I give them props for changing their sound again. I'd rather have a band that evolves every one or two albums and fail sometimes, than one that rehashes the same product and succeed (not saying SyX is like this, though).

I don't enitrely agree, I think that Symphony x has evolved quite abit from when they first started out. Paradise Lost does have some similar ideas that go way back, but I mean. As much as they may play differintly, or sing differintly, they will always be true to their sound. Symphony X has established a sound to be known by, that does not mean other stuff cannot be incorperated, I think some more proggy stuff Jazzy type licks would be sweet, and I don't doubt that somewhere down the path they will not try it. However as stated by pretty much every band member, Paradise Lost is the first album they feel they've achieved 'there' sound. So I wouldn't expect it to go to proggry from there, but you never know. Needless to say, symphony x has a solid lineup, and a solid sound, and a solid equation that works for them and has yet to become repetative. I hardly considered it a "I'm tired of that same old instrumental random ass flying notes in your face" that dream theater has come acustom to!

When it comes to progressive music, heavier is worse. Unless it's Opeth or something.

I don't agree with this. I think a band can be "progressive" and still be heavier. What do we even mean by "heavy" anyway?? Personally, Paradise Lost is my favorite Symphony X album, and I hope they continue progressing down a path in a more "heavy" direction.

I don't agree with this. I think a band can be "progressive" and still be heavier. What do we even mean by "heavy" anyway?? Personally, Paradise Lost is my favorite Symphony X album, and I hope they continue progressing down a path in a more "heavy" direction.

"Heavy" and "soft" are shitty fucking words but hopefully they can be understood in the context they're used. Soft to me could still be heavy to someone else.

So what I could write for people to understand what I really mean would be...
For prog metal: Heavy or soft, doesn't really matter it depends on what the band does best. A pure "heavy prog metal" band doesn't really exist for me though. Soft getting heavier = worse. Heavy getting softer = well haven't really thought about it but it's probably better.

*opinion disclaimer*

Nevermore would be a prime example of a so called "heavy prog metal" band. And they're brilliant, they wouldn't sound like Nevermore any other way.

Simply designating "Heavy = bad, Soft = good." is ridiculous imo.

Simply designating "Heavy = bad, Soft = good." is ridiculous imo.

I said I thought this was true for prog metal, not music in general. I love heavy music. I just don't like heavy prog metal. Nevermore isn't a good band imo, except for a handful of songs, mainly Tomorrow turned into yesterday which is by comparison a way more dynamic and less heavy song than most of their other stuff.

And I wrote
Soft getting heavier = worse. Heavy getting softer = well haven't really thought about it but it's probably better.
not what you wrote.