No SX at Atlanta show?

StratJacket

New Metal Member
Jul 2, 2005
I had a schedule that had SX coming on at 5:20 for the Gigantour in Atlanta, so I get there about 5:15. Some one told me Nevermore just finished and they were the first band. SX did not play from then on. WTF? The only reason I un assed $50 buck was to see SX and DT, but especially SX.

Did I get there too late or did SX just not play?

StratJacket said:
I had a schedule that had SX coming on at 5:20 for the Gigantour in Atlanta, so I get there about 5:15. Some one told me Nevermore just finished and they were the first band. SX did not play from then on. WTF? The only reason I un assed $50 buck was to see SX and DT, but especially SX.

Did I get there too late or did SX just not play?

Yup, same thing for me. I got there around 4:45ish and was there while Nevermore was setting up and played, so I don't know if Bobaflex opened like they were supposed to. I heard through the grapevine that SX didn't play because their bus broke down, but I haven't heard anything official. There was one other band on the bill (Dillinger Escape Plan or Dry Kill Logic - don't know which one) that didn't play either. What happened??? I agree, the only reason I went was to see SX and DT, although DT was worth the 50 bucks by themselves IMHO.

Yeah...l got there during Nevermore's set. The guys next to me said that Bobaflex & Dry Kill Logic had played prior to Nevermore. They had been there from the start. No Symph X. WTF?
DT slayed the place. They were heavy & loud as hell! Labrie hit the notes & held them longer than he does on the cds. Petrucci shredded without a doubt...and Rudess was a madman. Myung...omg...he moved! He even fingertapped front & center stage...it was great! Portnoy pounded his ass off on Panic Attack.
Don't know what the deal was with Symph X, but they missed an opportunity. Aaahh....doesn't matter...DT would have buried them too.

same thing happened to me. wasted 50 bucks for nothing, although dream theater fucking owned, i was only going for symphony x. sx definitely needs to come back to atl. i've been waiting a while for them to come, and this was gonna be the highlight of my summer, along with rhapsody, manowar, edguy, hammerfall, and bodom. this was going to be the best summer of metal, what happened guys? fix your damn bus and come back! i'll pay another 50 bucks if it means i get to see you guys.

Apparently, there was a medical emergency with one of the crew, and the Symphony X bus did not arrive at the Atlanta show.

Symphony X did not play Atlanta.

This is from the Gigantour site.

I got to the show at 3:30..grabbed a beer and figured I had an hour to kill before the first band played...but the first band was on at 3:50 not 4:30 like the tix stated...But no big deal...I didnt care for the first 2 bands..Nevermore was good to see finally...but the racket that followed..DAMN! Im sorry if you're into the Dillinger escape plan but they just plain ol' fucking stink in my opinion..That noise chased us outta there and into the lobby after 2 songs...I looked at the bright side and thought SymX is next...Then I bumped into a friend of mine who said Symx is stuck somewhere and arent playing tonight...DAMN!! Now what?! That really sucked but like the people above said..DT tore that place up! All thier heavier stuff was played and played very well..Petrucci was tripping me out with his punk look..Normally that dude wears jeans and a tshirt..but who cares..he ripped leads all night..It was cool but I would like to know what the real deal was with SymX....Their were people who came just to see them....Ive seen them twice at Progpower and was looking forward to it once again..Oh well..

Sethist said:
I read on the Gigantour forums earlier today that their bus driver died, but I don't know how reliable the source is. I'd like to hear an official report from the band.

I just spoke to Russ on the phone. Their bus driver is alive, but he is in an Intensive Care Unit due to Leukemia. The band truly regrets missing the Atlanta show, but theire thoughts and prayers do go out to their bus driver towards getting better. This is a situation that was beyond the band's control. They did make every effort to get to the show but the substitute bus driver did not arrive in time for them to make it happen.

That was about all I could get out of Russ for the moment. Seems they were getting ready to go on stage when he took the call.

Glenn

zakk_hate_me_666 said:
can jax or someone ask the band when they'll be back to make up for this? im pretty upset. will it be after the new album is finished?

I doubt they'll be back down South unless they do ProgPower next year. Which really blows...we just don't get prog metal bands here unless they're of the caliber like DT, who can tour wherever they want.
I'm hoping the bus driver or whoever got ill is ok, but SX really need to make this up. Alot of people were out of $ that they paid just to see them.

zakk_hate_me_666 said:
can jax or someone ask the band when they'll be back to make up for this? im pretty upset. will it be after the new album is finished?
I can understand why your mad, but that's pretty selfish (don't know if that's the right word...). You can't really blame it on the band, since it was out of their control. Yeah it sucks that you wasted your money, but these things happen, and they shouldn't owe you anything.

zakk_hate_me_666 said:

wow.......considering that the bus driver has cancer and almost died, I think you should apoligize for that statement.

lol

Yeh guys don't be to harsh, I'm sure symphony X will be more than happy to come back and visit!

And I don't think Rullo ever got mad and left, Symphony X is a band of much loving... They really do get along great together, and is why we won't see any stupid band break-ups anytime soon, or ever if we're lucky!

"can jax or someone ask the band when they'll be back to make up for this? im pretty upset"

dude...selfish selfish selfish...make up for what? the fact that their driver became seriously ill and that this was all out of their hands? yeah, romeo and the boys are really gonna like hearing "oh yeah, this guy really thinks you owe him big time because your driver got sick and couldn't make the show...could you please do something special for him?"

my wishes go out to their driver, and hope everything goes well from here on in.

I was also extremely pissed that Symphony X didn't play. I spent $111 on two tickets and drove four hours each way, which I probably wouldn't have done if I'd known SX wouldn't be playing, but Dream Theater still kicked major ass, so it wasn't a total loss. Also, I hadn't previously heard Nevermore, and I kind of dug them, so I bought their CD and got to meet them. Still I talked to a few people who got there, found out Symphony X wasn't playing, and left immediately. I'd have been one of them, if not for DT. It may have been out of the band's control, but that doesn't mean you can't try to get your money back from Ticketmaster or the venue itself. Seems fair to me, unless there's some kind of TOS you agree to just by buying a ticket, that says they can change anything about the show and don't owe you a refund. It's worth a try, though.