It's 2009 - will there be a new SX album??

While I love Paradise Lost, I do wish the guitars were turned down a bit and the keyboard raised. There's no doubt that the guys' last two albums have been more punchy and direct - even more dynamic. But part of me does miss the keyboard-laden sounds of earlier efforts. For example, the tracks I thought stood out the most on The Odyssey were Accolade II, Awakenings, and the title track; they had the most feeling in them, and featured the keyboards in a more prominent role when compared to the rest of the album.

Paradise Lost cut back on tracks like that. It has a lot of guitar riffs, which I do like, but not at the expense of the keyboard being so low in the mix. I'm also not fond of how much Pinnella cut back on his solos - there are FOUR keyboard solos on Paradise Lost, as opposed to a countless number of Romeo shredfests. I like guitar solos, but I've always loved the back-and-forth interplay between Romeo and P.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying I think the band should make another Divine Wings. There were things about the "old Miller days" that I didn't like. For example, their albums since Lepond joined have been more consistent than their earlier efforts - there are very few "weak" tracks. In my opinion, the older albums had two or three "filler" songs per record (Savage Curtain, Pharaoh, Witching Hour, Dragon's Den, just to name a few). The Odyssey is a great listen the whole way through (some tracks are weaker, but still well-composed), and Paradise Lost follows the same pattern.

I was surprised to see that Romeo and Russ wrote 95% of Paradise Lost, though. I hope that P, Lepond, and Rullo get some more say in the next album. Didn't Lepond co-write some of the best material on V and The Odyssey?

one of the most disturbing trends in SX's music is their loss of control over dynamics...that peaked with V, dropped with Odyssey, and became nonexistent with PL. Songs like The Accolade, Divine Wings, Church of the Machine, Egypt...they all play on the spectrum between loud and soft to manipulate the music very well. PL is just full blast constantly, except for the bass interlude in Seven, and even the ballads don't change that. It feels static, un-dynamic, tiring, unemotional. This is something that i predict will also be present on their next CD, especially now that the record label is so interested in them and the fashion today seems to be to mix everything at constant full blast.

i would be extremely surprised if their songwriting returns to the quality it was at the start of the decade

one of the most disturbing trends in SX's music is their loss of control over dynamics...that peaked with V, dropped with Odyssey, and became nonexistent with PL. Songs like The Accolade, Divine Wings, Church of the Machine, Egypt...they all play on the spectrum between loud and soft to manipulate the music very well. PL is just full blast constantly, except for the bass interlude in Seven, and even the ballads don't change that. It feels static, un-dynamic, tiring, unemotional. This is something that i predict will also be present on their next CD, especially now that the record label is so interested in them and the fashion today seems to be to mix everything at constant full blast.

i would be extremely surprised if their songwriting returns to the quality it was at the start of the decade

I completely agree.

I also agree. PL was a good album, but it was always very loud. Not as enough singing as in their album The Divine Wings Of Tragedy.

I'd love to see the next album with more singing, and ballads. This is what Michael Romeo originally wanted (or as far as I remember).

It's true that with Paradise Lost Symphony X are definitely a part of the "Loudness War" phenomenon. But this is happening to 90% of bands everywhere these days...

Everyone's been talking about the DVD for years and years already... Would be cool if they really did one soon. Could it be that they have one filmed from the last tour?

Well they have been off tour for a while now with pretty much next to no news, so all we can hope for is that amidst this silence they have been busy working on something..

BTW.....I recall almost a month ago Jax posting something about Mike R saying there will be some news in the "coming weeks". Whatever happened to that?

On their twitter they posted on MARCH 8th that they were done touring and are getting ready to start recording an album.. its been a couple months since then!

Yep, I'm here. :)

There's news to be had, I'm just not at liberty to announce it yet. Suffice it to say that they've been getting some business issues taken care of, and are settling in to work on the new cd now, so it's safe to say that there won't be a new cd until next year. More as I'm given the green light to share..

http://www.myspace.com/mikeorlandomusic

Discuss.

Note- I read about this over on the Petrucci forum...evidently some of the guys ran into Russ at one of the prognation shows, Russ told them a bit about this, etc. I wouldn't have reposted here, but since this Mike Orlando fellow is advertising it himself on his myspace there, I don't feel like I'm doing any harm in posting it before any official announcement. Maybe we can get some confirmation, Jax?

http://www.myspace.com/mikeorlandomusic

Discuss.

Note- I read about this over on the Petrucci forum...evidently some of the guys ran into Russ at one of the prognation shows, Russ told them a bit about this, etc. I wouldn't have reposted here, but since this Mike Orlando fellow is advertising it himself on his myspace there, I don't feel like I'm doing any harm in posting it before any official announcement. Maybe we can get some confirmation, Jax?

i fucking hate side projects. i really do.

probably because i would give my left testicle for a new fates warning album.

With the internet around, and management or whatever holding back Jax, I don't think there will be many surprise announcements. If the big thing was this solo project, all I can say is yawn. I guess it doesn't have mean it will be all bluesy and boring but I doubt it will be like "this will be very SX'ish".

With the internet around, and management or whatever holding back Jax, I don't think there will be many surprise announcements. If the big thing was this solo project, all I can say is yawn. I guess it doesn't have mean it will be all bluesy and boring but I doubt it will be like "this will be very SX'ish".

you got something against blues music?

Last edited by a moderator: