It's 2009 - will there be a new SX album??

whoak

New Metal Member
Dec 13, 2007
Alright so I just need to put this question out there. I have been watching interviews on youtube etc. trying to figure out if we can hope for a new album sometime soon.

I admit, that I first learned of SX on headbangers ball a year or two ago, so I am a recent convert. BUT, I listen to ALOT of music in general, and honestly, Paradise Lost is one of my alltime favorites without a doubt.

Appetite. Night at the Opera. Master of Puppets. And Paradise Lost. Its def up there for me.

So now that I have listened to Paradise Lost literally 40+ times from cover to cover, and bought all of the SX/Russel albums (not a big fan of the pre-Russel sound), there is only one question. When do we get another album!? I'm dyin' here! And when are you coming back to Philly?

I'm definitely anticipating the next Symph X effort, but i think that 2009 might be too soon. I could be wrong, and i hope i am, but it seems like the boys will probably need a rest after extensive touring. Not to mention it's always incredibly hard to follow up on an album as critically acclaimed as PL is.

It obviously took the boys a few years to find the new direction for PL, and i expect that the next album will be no different. No one wants Odyssey II or PL II. They want something unique, and i think that's what is the next order of business. The question is, how long will it be till they find this new direction, and more importantly, will we all embrace it as strongly as PL?

I don't think SX will be looking too much for another new sound, I read that they were all pretty happy with the heavier direction of PL and will most continue this sound through the next album, interview also said that the next SX album will come sooner rather than later, I don't know what that means exactly but probably just that it won't be as long a wait as it was between Odyssey and PL. I don't have the link to this interview sorry, I read it not long after PL was released.

Here's to hoping its a bit more melodic and progressive. I can only dream that they would ever write another Church Of The Machine or Through The Looking Glass. Damn is Twilight In Olympus an underrated SX album, I think its my favourite of theirs.

give them time, that was a long tour, 2011 would be fine with me for the kind of composition they do

SX are my favourite band, I don't want to rush into another album. Take your time, guys :). I want to continue loving you! Don't do what Dream Theater have done to themselves...

It obviously took the boys a few years to find the new direction for PL, and i expect that the next album will be no different. No one wants Odyssey II or PL II. They want something unique, and i think that's what is the next order of business.

I agree with all you guys who are saying that they shouldn't rush the next album, but I don't think they would ever sacrifice songwriting for speed anyway. Yeah, I mean its mostly wishful thinking, but also, I feel like they have all this momentum, and it would be shame to lose it all by releasing the next album in 2013! and you know they have all kinds of material left over from PL anyway. And yes, we don't want "Paradise Lost Part II", but I have to say that if they stuck with the same feel, I would have no problem at all with that! PL was so damn good!! Symphony X-ify all that material and give it up! I feel like they can do no wrong right now.

I am really scared that this album will be mediocre. I can just feel it. :(

Agreed with J-Dub. I confidently don't believe the guys have or will ever disappoint.
They're true to their stuff. They sure like to take their time, and if they're not happy with something, they simply don't do it. Plus MJR is a bit of a perfectionist, how else would you explain his having huge folders full of riffs and orchestral ideas, etc.

I think that's all good. What matters for me is for the next release not to take as much time as PL took to be done (which they said it won't). With that in mind, and although I can't wait for the next album, I still say they should continue to take their time when making music.

Agreed with J-Dub. I confidently don't believe the guys have or will ever disappoint.
They're true to their stuff. They sure like to take their time, and if they're not happy with something, they simply don't do it. Plus MJR is a bit of a perfectionist, how else would you explain his having huge folders full of riffs and orchestral ideas, etc.

I hope you're right, but at the same time...stuff like The Serpent's Kiss and Sacrifice are IMO the weakest songs they have written since the Damnation game, and nothing on PL matched Divine Wings or V, so I can just see the trend continuing. Not to say it will be bad...bad by SX standards is quite high by regular standards. But I'm worried that the mind-blowing music might be exhausted.

Serpents Kiss kicks ass, great metal song
Sacrifice's only flaw being one of fimiliarity
Title track well written and is up to par with much of their earlier pieces, only streamlined
the mind blowing music is not exhaused, problem is for those who have already adapted to it and think somehow a band or musician can break out of their mould and become someone else.

Very few bands get one stroke of fate that gives them what I call their "Stairway to Heaven". I use that expression because it is the earliest/first epic piece of music that slammed me in the head and its title is ironically symbolic. So Symphony X's is The Odyssey ? Through the Looking Glass ? Rediscovery II ? The Divine Wings.... ? Candlelight Fantasia ? ________ fill in the blank

I'd say the light of fate for composing masterpieces has shone down quite well for these guys.... so like.... WTF? :rolleyes:

the mind blowing music is not exhaused, problem is for those who have already adapted to it and think somehow a band or musician can break out of their mould and become someone else.

I disagree. Musically Twilight in Olympus was not much different from Divine Wings, but it was still awesome. Paradise Lost, however, is largely filler compared to the quality of their Divine Wings through Odyssey stuff.

Paradise Lost was mediocre. Of course as someone said already "mediocre" on a SyX scale means it was still passably good. The only SyX album I have listened to less than PL is the s/t which is moreso due to the fact I never bothered or cared to even purchase that one.

I doubt we'll see a new album this year; however, I feel there may be the announcement of the writing of a new album sometime this year. Hell, maybe we will get lucky and during this no news/dead period we have been having they have been writing some stuff and just not saying anything about it. Sometimes its better for a band to start writing material before anyone knows they are so they can concentrate on figuring out how they want to approach it. I still find it strange that it seems it may take almost the same amount of time to release their next album as it took for PL in that I thought that they made enough money with SyX to not have day jobs and all that stuff anymore?

I just hope they end up not keeping the musical direction of PL and go back to their more varied and progressive style again. I know they said they would keep that direction but I still have hopes.

Paradise Lost, however, is largely filler compared to the quality of their Divine Wings through Odyssey stuff.
Agreed. With Miller gone, and with Pinnella doing hardly any of the writing, PL was just one blazing guitar riff after another, punctuated by hoarse vocals. Thats fine for your run-of-the-mill metal band, but not for a band with as much talent and potential as SX. Why do they feel they need to lower themselves to the lowest common denominator? I'm really, really hoping for a return to the Divine Wings / V form on the next album, but I doubt we'll get it. Face it, stuff like PL sells, and prog masterpieces don't.

Paradise Lost was the right thing for them to do. The live shows were crushing. The band was like a freight train careening out of control. It was in your face yet mind blowing musicianship. And you could see the band and the fans were bothing having a relatively good time with it.

And for the record, live shows started May 25, 2007 in support of Paradise Lost. The album came out a month later on June 26, 2007. So it hasn't exactly been two years just yet ;)

I'm sure that whatever they decide to ultimately release for the next cd will be well thought out and in line with Symphony X standards :)