Heavier is not Worse

Tomorrow turned into yesterday which is by comparison a way more dynamic and less heavy song than most of their other stuff.

Funny you mention this song, that song is pretty damn basic compared to most of their stuff. To each their own I guess.

Phanto stated his opinion and gets attacked (well, at least picked on) for it? Like the previous user wrote: each to their own. All opinions are wrong, it's just pointless to speculate who's opinion is the wrongest. But even more pointless is to aproach this or any thread with comments like "that was stupid" because you can't really contribute to the conversation.

And I'm not saying this post is better, it's just longer one. :lol:

My answer to the topic: heavier is not worse. For Symphony X all that is important that they keep doing their stuff with passion. Progressive is a vague term like heavy, soft, hardcore, extreme etc since none of them really mean what they represent. They all base on opinions. Symphony X's style evolved to something different and I think it's good. Evolution is always good (especially the song).

P.S. Another epic concept album in a [insert your vague term here] style of V would be awesome though. (I know, won't happen)

I've tried to get into Opeth...I do like Blackwater Park(in my perfect album list) and Damnation...just can't get into anything beyond those as much as I have tried...just not my thing.

I don't understand this thread. What does being heavier have to do with such vague and subjective terms as "better" or "worse"? Silly concept...just more opinion spouting...not very constructive...or fun.

I've tried to get into Opeth...I do like Blackwater Park(in my perfect album list) and Damnation...just can't get into anything beyond those as much as I have tried...just not my thing.

I don't understand this thread. What does being heavier have to do with such vague and subjective terms as "better" or "worse"? Silly concept...just more opinion spouting...not very constructive...or fun.

Good brief post, wish I could do this... :erk:

also made me think, I could use a dose of damnation right now, seems rather fitting, headed back into the black hole

I find Damnation to be such a great album. It's a mood piece for me; I love listening to it when there's snow outside. Another great Opeth record is Still Life - the whole album is flawless in my ears. I've never really understood the hype behind Blackwater Park; I find half the album to be great (Leper Affinity, Bleak, Drapery Falls, and the title track), but the rest is just filler to me.

I find Damnation to be such a great album. It's a mood piece for me; I love listening to it when there's snow outside. Another great Opeth record is Still Life - the whole album is flawless in my ears. I've never really understood the hype behind Blackwater Park; I find half the album to be great (Leper Affinity, Bleak, Drapery Falls, and the title track), but the rest is just filler to me.

Man, I really tried Still Life...over and over...it just never clicked.

Calling someone's opinion stupid because one doesn't agree is what internet is made of.

I'm borrowing Symphony X albums to a girl I met and I was having trouble to choose the albums. I want show her the both sides of the band, the mellow and the heavier. So I decided to go with V and Paradise Lost. PL has more heavier material and V is more moody stuff with all the seques and abundance of melodies & layers.

But Divine Wings, totally slays and also shows all the aspects of Symphony X and the flow of the musical trip is quite and adventure