Here is a better one that DT ot SX heh >>>

[NOTE: If I spell any of DT's names wrong plz correct me :) ]

Vocals- I much prefer Sir Russel's voice but I can cope wth James LaBrie's as well.

Guitars- Michael is AMAZING! I admit John Petrucci is good but he's not as fast or heavy as Romeo [well, except for 'Lie'....thats pretty heavy but even so he's not worthy to Romeo] :worship:

Bass- I much prefer LePond- He ROCKS! And I also love that bit in the Egypt video where he plays the bass pretty fast and looks at the audience with a huge grin :wave: Does this guy ever stop headbanging? Myung just sits in a chair looking bored like all the others from DT IMHO :lol:

Keyboards- Well I prefer the sounds and ideas from Michael Pinnela much more than Jordan Ruddess and his keyboards. But, I do think Mr Ruddess is a very fast solo player. I still don't like him though :)

Drums- No one can deny Portnoy is a flawless drummer but then again so is Rullo in my opinion. Both excellent.

Really though, I just love the look of the people from SyX [they look cooler than DT...plus they still have long hair ;) ] and they make HEAVY music too. I just can't get enough of 'em!

try this:
the ultimate band, for my opinion
lead vocalist: sir russel allen
rythem guitar: michael romeo
lead guitar: john petrucci
bass: john myung
drummer: mike portnoy
keyboard for orchastration: pinella
piano and soloing: jordan rudess

could kick ass ah?
let me know what you think.
:)

Good topic
I think everyone would pretty much agree MJR and Russell Allen destroy their DT counterparts. I think Pinnella and Lepond are on par with theirs but the one I want to address is Jason Rullo vs. Portnoy. Personally, I think Portnoy shows off more whereas Rullo plays more for the song and is much more precise. I know a few jazz drummers that are well studied in technique that have heard my SyX and DT cds, and they all say Rullo destroys Portnoy in technique...but it is in a subtle fashion. But the crux of all this is that SyX as a whole write songs better. There are lots of technically flashy players out there...songwriting is where it comes together.

I really don't get the point of that discussion...

I think both DT AND SX are great bands and have great players. I don't think that you really can say the one player is better than the other - they simply have different styles and I like the style of DT as well as the style of SX.

I'm really sure that at this level of ability all of the members of both bands are, no-one can really say who is better, they are just different... :)

I think both DT AND SX are great bands and have great players. I don't think that you really can say the one player is better than the other - they simply have different styles and I like the style of DT as well as the style of SX.

Finally....someone with the right mind to say that their styles just are different.
I don't go around comparing Britney Spears (she rocks on I love rock and roll :D ) with Symphony X....... Just wouldn't make sense

I just don't like comparing :puke:
Wether I like it, or I just don't.........

Greetz

first band to put britney (she loves rock and roll as you said) as an official member will become my personal favourite.

As long as she is wearing something tight and see through.:D

As far as the Pinnella thing goes... I'm a guitarist so i've never examined the keys much... they sound good to me and that's all that matters. He definitely blends better with SX that Rudess does with DT :confused: Oh well... :)

Alden

Romeo for sure... much much better player than petrucci... There was a thread a while ago on the nevermore forum about this, if you can bothered to look, i wrote a good few paragraphs why...

...And considering LaBrie is THE worst singer i have EVER heard, russel wins that one by a mile :lol:

It is hard to compare since both bands play diffrent styles of prog metal.
Nut IMO I would say:

Russell Allen is way better than LaBrie. Better range, stronger voice, etc.

Michael Romeo is better than Petrucci. They both play different styles, but IMO Romeo's riffs are incredible and his solos sound much cleaner and faster than Petrucci's.

John Myung and LePond is close, but I'll have to give the edge to Myung.

Portnoy is definitely better durmmer than Rullo. Once again, the styles are different, but Portnoy is much more technical and complex. And he makes it look so easy when playing live.

Ruddess and Pinnella is very even in my opinion. They are both great keyboardists.

As for the music: Symphony X is way better IMO!!! Dream Theater is great too, but Symphony X is the best band out there. The Divine Wings of Tragedy and V are among the best albums that I have ever heard in my life.

As for live performances: They are both great, but Symphony X is more energetic. Dream Theater plays everything to perfection (it sounds like the CD), but the energy is not there IMO. When I saw Symphony X at ProgPower 2.0, I was just blown away.

The Winner: Symphony X!!!!!!!!

hehe...you gotta be kidding.

hmmkay, lets see...YOU HAVE TO STOP LETTING BEING A HUGE FAN INTERFEERE IN YOUR OPINIONS.

Dudes, if you say michael romeo plays more than petrucci, i would say...omg, you are so wrong.
Michael Romeo doesnt play dirty in live concerts? Have you ever gone to one? I've gone to both. DT and SX are AWESOME performing LIVE. Well, i wouldnt say much about labrie live heh, but hey, remember that most of DT songs requires high pitch, wich is hard to maintain after a 3 hour or MORE, show. Have you seen petrucci in G3, LTE ?! Petrucci has no feeling?! What the fuck is that?! Have you ever listened to Scenes from a memory, pt2 ?! THE WHOLE ALBUM? Aw and hey, have you ever saw portnoy playin "The dance of eternity" LIVE?

Mike portnoy, is really, sorry, the best drum player in heavy metal. The only guy who i can compare to him is Neil Peart from Rush. But hey, Rullo is getting better fast, i know, he is good, but lets face it, he isnt on portnoy's level (YET).

Its hard to compare Myung to Lepond, both are amazing.

Jordan rudess, for god sake is better than pinella. he really does have magic fingers.

What else? heh, we cant compare Russel with labrie. Russel is, in my opinion the best vocals in metal nowadays.

Anyway...as i said before, i do believe that dream theater is the better metal band in tech means.

But what the fuck...i like symphony x better.

later \,,/

Originally posted by firebird
try this:
the ultimate band, for my opinion
lead vocalist: sir russel allen
rythem guitar: michael romeo
lead guitar: john petrucci
bass: john myung
drummer: mike portnoy
keyboard for orchastration: pinella
piano and soloing: jordan rudess

could kick ass ah?
let me know what you think.

Anyone remember Kevin Moore?? How about him on all keys?

Originally posted by Lady Of The Snow

Anyone remember Kevin Moore?? How about him on all keys?

I'm totally agree, I preffer Kevin Moore over Pinella, Rudess and Sherinian.

Anyway I think is a matter of personal taste, nobody can deny that all members of DT and SX are excellent musicians. I personally hate when ppl say Romeo is better than Petrucci or Labrie is better than Allen for example, when everything must be personal opinions.

Is difficult to choose but if I must do it, well.... here are my thoughts about that:

Romeo/Petrucci: can't choose here, I like both, I like Romeo's riffing but I think Petrucci's solos has alot of feeling.

Allen/Labrie: Sir Russell Allen for me

Portnoy/Rullo: I like Jason very much but I choose Mike

Pinella/Moore/Sherinian/Rudess: Kevin More!!

Myung/Miller/Lepond: is alway hard for me to name fav bassists, maybe is the instrument that I give less atention but I like Myung here.

Ok,so here we go with my opinions(and comments).

Myung is much better than LePond. The comparison is very unequal. Doesn't mean LePond isn't good, he's just being squared up against a very incredible player.

I don't think so.I play bass,and I know Myung plays a 6 string bass and he's very fast and stuff.Alright,but in most of Dream Theater songs(most of them the recent songs) you cant LISTEN to Myung(you can hear him before a change of seasons in a lot of songs).
And Myung doesnt compose.Sorry,but I prefer the composer guys.And as I see,Lepond do it.Miller ALWAYS did it(look at twilight in Olympus credits and search for a song without his name).Lepond is a better phraser too.But as I mentioned Miller,I think he is better SKILLED and COMPOSER than Myung.Too much better.

Bass- I much prefer LePond- He ROCKS! And I also love that bit in the Egypt video where he plays the bass pretty fast and looks at the audience with a huge grin Does this guy ever stop headbanging? Myung just sits in a chair looking bored like all the others from DT IMHO

I think this is a "visua"l comment,and I dont think it's not very intelligent,so I will not say anything about it,just that I think that was a stupid comment.

I'm not bashing JUST his weak points, I rose some good points too. I gave my honest feedback, that's not allowed here?

I think New Orleans Is a Dying Whore(what a nick..) deserves lots of respect for intelligent coments.
Ok,again the "Composer" factor.Pinella is one of the main writers of SyX,don't give Romeo all the credits!I dont remember a song that romeo writed alone in SyX now,but In 9 of 10 songs,pinella writed.And man,THE GUY IS AWESOME.I LOVE his SOLOS too,and I prefer to not compare him with Rudess,as they are THE BEST in different Styles( The same goes to Portnoy/Rullo ).LTE is one of my FAVORITE bands and I love Rudess in LTE and in Vinnie Moore's Time Odyssey,but I dont liked Six Degrees too much :err:,I dont know if it is Rudess fault,but part of it goes to him(and all the band members..).Pinella and Romeo never made me sad or without satisfaction,so for now I will vote on Pinella...

About Vocals and Guitar(I said my opinion about the drums above),both of my votes goes to the SyX guys,and now you should know why.(Creativity is the key).

Note: I'm not saying petrucci is less creative than Romeo..but I prefer Romeo a LOT.And yes,Im saying Russell is more creative than LaBrie,and more skilled too :D

DONT READ THAT IF YOU ARE TIRED,THE MESSAGE IS LONG!! :lol:

Kevin Moore r0X !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

i really think he fits better to dt needs, but well...he's not there anymore and rudess is doing a nice job.

But as someone said, i think he's work in LTE is better.

Later! \,,/

I personally prefer Jordan Rudess; his stuff on Metropolis pt.2: Scenes from a Memory is just amazing. And what goes for Petrucci not having feeling, just listen to Scenes from NY: John & Theresa Solo Spot. Or almost any slow solo he has. His music is simply beautiful, but then again, Romeo's Riffs are pretty damn hot, no denying. Vocals on the other hand, go to Russel Allen, by a long shot. LaBrie doesn't have a chance in hell to compare to that. Russel's work on V and TDWOT is uncomparable. I wonät even go to his work with Arjen A. Lucassen, since that would just make people mad. The Drums go to Portnoy, since the stuff by Rullo doesn't catch my ear like Mikes does. Just listen to Finally Free. Or A Change of Seasons. The Bass department goes to Muyng. He knows his stuff.

I can't remember if I posted in this thread or not, and I'm too lazy to review it.

You can't compare the two.. Symphony X is pure greatness, while Dream Theater is just lacking something.. Especially on the new CD.

It's like comparing cold soup to a nice thick steak.. It can't be done.

Vocals - Russell Allen defo!!!!!

Guitar - John Petrucci (Romeo only is better on tapping techniques)

Drums - Mike Portnoy

Keys - Ruddess (depends whether his influence would make the band loose it's heaviness... if so Pinella)

Bass - Lupond