Review - "The Odyssey"

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
This is my fourth attempt at writing this review. On the previous three occasions, I've typed a few paragraphs, erased everything I had just typed, and begun again in an attempt to do this release justice. All three previous attempts fell woefully short of conveying this disc’s brilliance, as I’m sure this fourth and final attempt will most certainly do.

To my mind, I think "The Odyssey" can best be described with a sports analogy. Some pitchers rely on a fastball, some on a curve, others on a knuckle-change, and some constantly change speeds to get batters out. On past releases, Symphony X has mixed up their pitches, trying to keep the batter/listener off guard and never knowing what to expect. However, on "The Odyssey", they've decided to rely heavily on the high heat. Don’t get me wrong, they still break out the off-speed stuff, and still occasionally use their big sweeping curve, but "The Odyssey" clearly highlights the power and movement on Symphony X's fastball.

Needless to say, the band is flawless. Where Romeo and Pinnella use to dual for time and space, Romeo is clearly showcased on this CD. As one would expect, he doesn’t wilt in the added heat of a brighter spotlight. Also given more room to shine is Jason Rullo, whose drums match Romeo’s guitar in the mix. Unfortunately, Mike LePond gets lost in a mix that affords Romeo and Rullo as much volume as this one does. However, when all is said and done, it is Russell Allen who shines the brightest. He has clearly spent the time since the recording of “V: The New Mythology Suite” fine tuning his already amazing pipes. Whether he’s flashing his throaty side along side one of Romeo’s run-away-train-like riffs, showing off his soulful side on one of the disc’s more subtle moments, or teasing you with his ever expanding range, as he does during a jaw-dropping moment in “Wicked”, Sir Russell has taken his rightful place near the pinnacle of Rock and Metal’s vocal hierarchy.

While there isn’t a flawed track on this disc, I would be remiss if I failed to specifically write about this CD’s title track. Many bands get lost when they go over the six or seven minute mark. However, Symphony X is one of those few, special bands that can make 24 minutes and 7 seconds pass in what seems like 8 or 9 minutes. “The Odyssey” is simply phenomenal. While some may call it heresy to suggest that the title track of this disc outshines the title track of “The Divine Wings of Tragedy”, to my ears it does just that.

Suffice it to say, that “The Odyssey” has just overtaken my #1 spot of calendar year 2002. And short of Opeth's "Deliverance" topping it, there it shall remain.

GZ

Cool review man! :) Definetly this album is gonna be the BEST release of the year 2002 and i bet it will stay in my top position also for all the next year!!! :D (unless SyX will release a new CD before 31st december 2003 :lol: )
Oh boy, SymphonyX RULZZZZ!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

X-Greets,
Knight_

Originally posted by Demonspell
Nice review...I dare to say that MJR and Sir Russell have never sounded better, and Pinella and Rullo kick serious ass throughout the album as well.

ah sounds like this album is gonna be awesome, i can't wait:D i want to hear the other songs :cry:

Originally posted by Dado-x
Any fast bass solos?

Not that I remember. There's plenty of pretty incredible bass work, though...you just have to listen for it more closely because it's low in the mix.

It seriously sounds as if I'll have to be banging on the doors of Keltainen Jäänsärkija the instant the album arrives. 'King of Terror' didn't impress me at all, Russell Allen was certainly not at his best. for some reason the song reminded me of Pantera...

Actually, since someone has correctly mentioned that the guitars are a lot more prominent on this album than on V, a few of the tracks have a Testament (James/Alex) kinda groove. I dig that. :)

It seriously sounds as if I'll have to be banging on the doors of Keltainen Jäänsärkija the instant the album arrives. 'King of Terror' didn't impress me at all, Russell Allen was certainly not at his best. for some reason the song reminded me of Pantera...

Wow. I thought Russ sounded amazing.

I think he sounded awesome too; I'm glad to hear he's singing more aggressive again, since I thought his vocals on V could have done with a little more 'bite' now and then like on the older records. And while I personally have a great disliking for Pantera I do love the heavy riffs SX have always pulled off. To be honest, I think it's one's own choice if he/she wants to hear Pantera in that.

Cool review Zodman...

To me the album isn't as striking as V. The guitars, although brilliant, seem very minimal to me, in that there isn't layer after layer of stuff happening like on V.

It's a great album, sure to be one of the best recordings as of late.

Originally posted by Trapped
Cool review Zodman...

To me the album isn't as striking as V. The guitars, although brilliant, seem very minimal to me, in that there isn't layer after layer of stuff happening like on V.

It's a great album, sure to be one of the best recordings as of late.

I'd agree. It's definitely no where near as grand in scope. I think they realized that following "V" with something quite as deep would have been tough, and may have come off sounding redundant. I imagine they wanted to go back to basics and just play. In that, I think they succeeded perfectly.

GZ

Originally posted by Dado-x
See, Thomas Miller's playing will probably be the only thing I will miss about Odyssey. He could really shred on bass.

Lepond does more than his share of the shredding on this album, I have been listening to it and there is some really cool Romeo/Lepond type harmonies runs that kick ass!!!

There is also a few parts where the bass playes some very cool toney bassleads stuff as well, don't write Lepond off just yet man, he wouldn't be in the band if he couldn't pulll everything off.

Bear