The Odyssey = M Romeo selfish???

Luis

Mortal With Immortal Mind
Im a fan of SymphonyX since i was fifteen, The Damnation Game was the fisrt record i got...I have been listening to the Odyssey for two months and i found it as the heaviest material the have done, its a good album, great vocals parts by Allen¡¡¡ nevertheless, I think V is much better, becouse all the songs in V are master pieces, and in The Odyssey, i find some songs quite boring like The Turning or Wicked.

This may be hard, but in my opinion Twilight and Divine are even better than the Odyssey. I really like songs like Inferno and King of Terrors, but I believe that this the odyssey was a solo project of Romeo, ( i mean he wrote the 80% of the songs, Why??) instead of a work in group like in other discs, due to this, The Odyssey is not as great as V.

In my humble opinion the band is not as good since thomas miller left the band. He was all over the other albums like white on rice, like ink on paper, like flys on shit. Hmm too many analogies, but anyway Miller wrote the best lyrics for the band. He may not be as technical a bassist as Lepond (cause i think i know someone who will bring that up) but I personally believe they made their best music with him.

I think its pretty clear that Romeo writes, and has always written like, 90% of the music (even when Miller was in the band). I remember Russ saying in an interview "this band is Mike's vision that we're following" or something like that. Although just because he's the driving musical force in the band doesn't mean its a "Romeo solo project." I NEVER get the impression that its not a band effort in the end. Unlike some OTHER neoclassical guitarist I know.

Originally posted by Buzz Fledderjon
Romeo is definatley the mastermind

but no, Joe Stump is selfish

WHAAAAAAAAAT? I was talkin bout Yngwie, but Joe Stump is in no way selfish about The Reign of Terror. he was my teacher for a year, and I talked to him about TRoT and stuff, he gives Vescera a TON of input. Vescera writes ALL the lyrics and comes up with ALL the melodies. Plus a lot of the production work is done at Vesceras house. Theres a reason why Jay and Matt aren't super prominent and thats because they are "permanent session musicians" so to speak. He pays them to play with him but always calls em back cause they work well. And if you have ever seen Stump in concert you'd know that despite being the center of the band, he never made the other band members seem like they were no more than just a backup. Stump is super cool...not an arrogant prick like yngwie, plus Joe kills Yngwie anyway..

Romeo doesn't force his guitars into the front of every song like some other guitarists who head up their bands. The Odyssey has more prominent guitar than some of the previous albums but that's because it's a heavier project. Otherwise they are a very "song" oriented band. The song is what matters most, not how much each member can show off their talent, which is why I think most of us really like SyX. I know I do!

Originally posted by Luis
Im a fan of SymphonyX since i was fifteen, The Damnation Game was the fisrt record i got...I have been listening to the Odyssey for two months and i found it as the heaviest material the have done, its a good album, great vocals parts by Allen¡¡¡ nevertheless, I think V is much better, becouse all the songs in V are master pieces, and in The Odyssey, i find some songs quite boring like The Turning or Wicked.

This may be hard, but in my opinion Twilight and Divine are even better than the Odyssey. I really like songs like Inferno and King of Terrors, but I believe that this the odyssey was a solo project of Romeo, ( i mean he wrote the 80% of the songs, Why??) instead of a work in group like in other discs, due to this, The Odyssey is not as great as V.

I sure damn well hope Mike Romeo is selfish. It's the only way an artist can keep his integrity. Would you rather have him doing what other people tell him to do? Then you would be complaining that he was selling out.

If you don't like what Mike is doing you can always stop buying his albums. Symphony X is his band and he can do what he likes. So what?

I like what he is doing, but i dont like he compose the songs alone. Where is the team Romeo-Pinella-Lepond?

Come on, they agreed on making something more aggressive this time, which means Romeo is in major charge.. Who knows what they are gonna come up with on their next album? Who knows, maybe it's gonna be like TDWOT again.. What I mean, is something a little less guitar-oriented. You can't just say that Romeo is selfish on this one..

The Odyssey rules...easily their best. They wanted a heavier record after V so naturally keyboards are going to fade into the background a little. I bet the next cd might go back to a more epic sound overall. Lyrics-wise, how can you not like V or The Odyssey better? They are more story driven instead of being the proggy what does that saying really mean stuff. I thought Miller was a valuable member of the band, but LePond has definitely filled the spot very well. If you want to see selfish, see Yngwie. His best lyrics were with Joe Lynn Turner or Vescera, definitely not Yngwie's silly leanings (ie. The Wizard). On the new one, he had a killer keyboard player (Derek Sherinian) too and allowed him to do like half a solo...ridiculous.

I like what he is doing, but i dont like he compose the songs alone. Where is the team Romeo-Pinella-Lepond?

Not all bands function as "songwriting teams" to be a band. Or, with all the members contributing. Look at Blind Guardian for example. Hansi and Andre write ALL the music (any time someone else is invloved its usually due to ochrestration). Stratovarius, Timo Tolkki writes something like, 98% of the songs. All the best Pink Floyd albums were almost exclusively written by Roger Waters (I know they arent metal but they're prog :p).

Perhaps the other band members have no desire to offer more than they did. Thats a possibility too. I know one of the bands I was in operated like that. No one else really had the desire to write besides me, or at least to do most of the writing.

its pretty clear that SyX is mostly driven by Romeo (though I think they'd be lost without Russell as well) so why get upset that he writes most of the songs?

Originally posted by sweepking
The Odyssey rules...easily their best. Lyrics-wise, how can you not like V or The Odyssey better? They are more story driven instead of being the proggy what does that saying really mean stuff. I thought Miller was a valuable member of the band, but LePond has definitely filled the spot very well.

i cut down yer post just a little to what i wanted to comment on...

Odyssey their best? I dont think so. To me their best was Divine Wings and Twilight. The lyrics were not story driven for those albums (neither was odyssey btw except for the song itself) but they were the most well written Symphony X have ever done. Russell and Romeo are good, but Miller (who penned many of Symphony X's best songs) was simply amazing. Lepond is more technical as i have stated above, but a key component in Miller is missing. Just look at your divine wings and twilight booklets and see how many songs he had his hand in and how many lyrics he wrote alone and tell me the band is better without him.

Wicked is a story, so is Incantations, so is The Turning...what are Of Sins, Smoke and Mirrors, or Damnation Game really about? Don't get me wrong...I love older SyX too, but I do think that the songwriting has improved with V and The Odyssey on both a musical side and lyrics writing. It is just my opinion of course. I like that their sound changes slightly from cd to cd with the Odyssey being a heavier sound.

I don't understand the subject?
Symphony X was always for 90% what Romeo wanted it to be.
NOW he wanted SX to be a little heavier.
I don't think that was an excellent idea, but I liked it for once, but i suppose their next album will have more keyboards.