Divine Wings of Tragedy X Odyssey

Sengir*Buendia

Baron of Macondo
I definitely prefer Divine Wings. The songs are more emotional and sticky (just compare Accolade 1 and 2), still cohesive and original. Odyssey sounds redundant to me, even the epic closer track still doesn't charm me as Candlelight Fantasia or Accolade. Its heavy tracks are meaningless and all sound alike. Well, I must say I haven't listened to Odyssey as much as Divine Wings, but Odyssey didn't catch me immediately as DWOT!

What about you? I have read plenty of reviews stating Odyssey as SX's masterpiece! :OMG:

I think i prefer odyssey. Divine wings has some classic tracks but also some weaker ones like witching hour and pharoe which i wouldnt classify as bad (well, maybe pharoe) but drag the album down a bit.

I think i prefer DWOT (the track) versus odyssey (the track) though.

Just a thought, but you don't always catch onto good music immediatly. For a lot of progressive stuff, it takes me a number of listens through. Odyssey was the same way for me. It didn't catch me like the older Odyssey stuff did (although TDWoT epic song took me a while as well). But I really enjoy some of the tracks off the album. Accolade 2 is awesome, just as good as the 1st. Inferno is a great album opener. Awakenings is just a great song, and odyssey is a great epic.

Agree with you, vfrex, good music isn't always (and I'd say more often than not) catchy. Sometimes you need to let it grow on you. This has happened to me with lots of bandss (such as Andromeda, Cynic, and even Symphony X!). Just have patience and you'll love it! (at least that happened to me...)

...I still don't see why people say Pharaoh is a weak song. It's one of my favorites. *shrug*

That's all I'm contributing because this has been done a few times already, and I don't wanna get in the argument. :)

i think dwot is a awsome song compared to the odyssey which is a great but not spectacular!

The Metal Chick said:
Dude! Odyssey kicks all your asses! I always feel like I'm the only one whose favorite SymX album is Odyssey. DWOT is killer too of course, but Odyssey blew my head off right away. :loco: o_O
My fav is also The Odyssey. DW would be 4th for me.

I like DW, but the title track and Candlelight Fantasia have never really done much for me. I really don't know why so don't flame me. Please. Thanks. I'm trying to like them, believe me.