Kind of OT: Divine Wings of Tragedy

Horus

and his imaginary friend
Mar 4, 2005
Atlantis
A few years ago in my school, a student had the school orchestra, band and choir do a performance of an Orchestral version of Bohemian Rhapsody. When I first heard of this, I started thinking "What if I can manage to do something like that?" I began to think of different songs that would be awesome. The original choices were Candlelight Fantasia, Masquerade '98, Communion and the Oracle, Rediscovery, Through the Looking Glass, and The Odyssey. With the suggestion of a friend of mine, I realized that I needed to do an epic. The first thing that came to my head was this thought:

"What if the school Orchestra and Choir did an entire performance of The Divine Wings of Tragedy?"

What would you all think of that. Is it a genius idea, or am I insane beyond belief?

Sounds like a great idea to me, although quite difficult to arrange.

I don't know if you remember, but a guy called Cardhago from Finland posted a couple of times here with recordings of the choir at his university singing his vocal arrangements of Whispers and Lady of the Snow. They also did Follow Me by Royal Hunt. It's top quality stuff (spoiled only by a renegade sneezer).

Whispers: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151337

Lady of the Snow: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195732

Holy crap! What ever happened to that guy? He should definitely start posting again. Maybe he's arranged some more amazing arrangements.

Lady of the Snow is about to make me cry. I've never heard anything more beautiful in my entire life. The original may be better, but this is just so much more beautiful!!!

ptah knemu said:
Holy crap! What ever happened to that guy? He should definitely start posting again. Maybe he's arranged some more amazing arrangements.

Lady of the Snow is about to make me cry. I've never heard anything more beautiful in my entire life. The original may be better, but this is just so much more beautiful!!!
Well those posts are May 2004 and May 2005 respectively, so maybe we'll see him again May 2006? ;)

I agree, I think it's really beautiful music. I'd certainly like to see more Symphony X arrangements like this.

It's so wierd, because I haven't cried out of happiness in years! And just listening to these truly shows how beautiful Prog Metal can really be.

ptah knemu said:
It's so wierd, because I haven't cried out of happiness in years! And just listening to these truly shows how beautiful Prog Metal can really be.

Hope, this gives you the emotion and courage to make your fantastic idea come true.

BTW, i almost gonna cry listening to Whispers and Lady of The Snow. How excellent... :dopey: :worship: :dopey:

Yeah, but I never said I'm doing it alone. I'm definitely gonna need help somewhere along the way. Right now, I'm trying to figure out the Tenor part of the intro 4 part harmony. Is it me, or does it sound like the bass voice is completely drowned out?

I don't want to say that you are bad, I don't know, but I don't think that can perform the whole song (maybe some parts but not the whole song), but GL, would be cool if you would get it!

Why don't you just do the Bach (I think) and Wagner pieces that start off the song? Actually, you could find the scores to them so you wouldn't even have to transcribe. :)

Yep, spoken like a true lazy music student.

Either way, a recording would be sweet!

OfSinsAndShred said:
Why don't you just do the Bach (I think) and Wagner pieces that start off the song? Actually, you could find the scores to them so you wouldn't even have to transcribe. :)

You mean Holst, not Wagner(p.s.made it before Luis, heh)

I was thinking the same thing!!! Well, not exactly, but I was thinking about doing the Odyssey with my school band, a drummer and myself on guitar. I was thinking about doing the first 6-7 minutes. It seems like a VERY VERY hard project though and would take a lot of time.

wchuck said:
I don't want to say that you are bad, I don't know, but I don't think that can perform the whole song (maybe some parts but not the whole song), but GL, would be cool if you would get it!

The whole thing is that I want to do the whole thing as an example of the true majesty of Prog Metal, and because who wouldn't want to hear the whole song in such a fashion? The only parts i would even consider cutiting out (crucify me now, musicians.) are the solos, because I doubt anybody in my school or wherever are able to play an entire solo of Romeo, Pinella, or Miller.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Actually, you could find the scores to them so you wouldn't even have to transcribe.

Do you know where I'd be able to find such scores? Because it's a rediculous task. But if I can pull it off, I'll feel so good about myself, because it's SO GOD DAMN HARD!!!