Divine Wings backing vocals / choir

Everytime when I listen to the song The Divine Wings of Tragedy I listen to the choir in the beginning very carefully.
Do you know who sang the first lines of this song? I mean, did some of the bandmembers sang the intro of this song or did they get a real choir? Doesn't sound like Russ, Romeo and Pinnella to me :loco: .

Medusa's eyes said:
Everytime when I listen to the song The Divine Wings of Tragedy I listen to the choir in the beginning very carefully.
Do you know who sang the first lines of this song? I mean, did some of the bandmembers sang the intro of this song or did they get a real choir? Doesn't sound like Russ, Romeo and Pinnella to me :loco: .

In my opinion they did not sing on that part, and if they did, probably they used an special machine that transform the normal voice into a special one, such as gregorian choir. Think about this, Why they dont open "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" (live version) with the choir??

I disagree. I think they are quite capable of pulling it off, and have done a few small parts on their recent albums. But, I wonder if maybe the lack of those awesome chants has anything to do with Miller leaving. They haven't done anything quite like it since his departure. Just my thoughts.

Do you think it's not Russell who's singing that? The thought never occured to me though, I think it does sound like him.

I was impressed by the range he has, I mean, he sings everything from the highest soprano to the lowest. One of Russell's talents is that he can sound so different to fit the song.

Do the other guys sing on the albums? In that case they do it better in the studio than live. :D

thats all Russell. You can tell because of the way the voices sound together. Choirs all sound unique because no two peoples voices have the same tonality. The blending of all those different voices creates the sound of a choir. Russell overdubed himself to sound like a choir, and it sounds different, because its the same singer, the harmony sounds different than a real choir because instead of all these different voices and overtones that are unique to those voices, its the same voice with the same characteristics.

Polyeidus said:
I disagree. I think they are quite capable of pulling it off, and have done a few small parts on their recent albums. But, I wonder if maybe the lack of those awesome chants has anything to do with Miller leaving. They haven't done anything quite like it since his departure. Just my thoughts.

No, it says in the liner notes that the choir was arranged by Romeo and Pinella, so its not because of that. BTW, I have heard that a section of it is borrowed from Bach (not the words obviously but the melody and harmony), I forget which part tho, have to ask my friend who spotted it again.

And They don't do it live simply because, even if every member of the band sang a part, they still wouldnt have enough voices :)

Well, Queen did it first, and by themselves. I always thought of Queen as the inspiration behind it all, besides the medieval chants and so forth. I guess Sym X has taken it a step beyond, like that of Jimmy Page and his 25 trak guitar parts.

Polyeidus said:
Well, Queen did it first, and by themselves. I always thought of Queen as the inspiration behind it all, besides the medieval chants and so forth. I guess Sym X has taken it a step beyond, like that of Jimmy Page and his 25 trak guitar parts.

It's funny that someone mentioned Queen. The first time I tried to explain to my friend what SX sounded like, I described it as a hybrid of Queen, Stratovarius and Dream Theater. :D

I've always wondered too, but it could easily be russel doing it all. In my old band, we had a choir outro for one of our songs. I did five separate vocal tracks, and with a little reverb, it sounded pretty damn authentic. I also think that the choir parts were done in house because of the high falsetto parts. They don't sound quite right for some reason. But still, on the whole, it sounds awesome.

Posed by Yngvai X
thats all Russell. You can tell because of the way the voices sound together. Choirs all sound unique because no two peoples voices have the same tonality. The blending of all those different voices creates the sound of a choir. Russell overdubed himself to sound like a choir, and it sounds different, because its the same singer, the harmony sounds different than a real choir because instead of all these different voices and overtones that are unique to those voices, its the same voice with the same characteristics.

I allways thought that. I knew in songs like Communion and the Oracle, Phoaroh and Egypt that its Russ but not in the more classical/bach sounding choirs in earlier recordings I didn't quite know. But what I thought was true!

What are you guys fav' choir part.
Mine would be in the begginning of DWOT, Egypt (five alighn... hidden in a message locked for time...) I love how its synchopated/delayed in that part. Or Communion and the Oracle

I don't think the choral intro to Divine Wings is Russ or the band, although it would be very impressive if it was. I think they must have contracted with a pro/semi-pro choir to record that. Lady of the Oracle should ask the guys as it would be cool to know it was them! I wonder if they did the choir part in Lacrymosa as well?

I love that last line in Communion and the Oracle, where it tails off into that flanged effect. I think that is just awesome production by Romeo. Same goes for the flanged Guitar and Keys in Evolution (where the guitar comes in by itself).

Anyway, the guys are awesome!

It is Russ, Yngvai is right. You can easily distinguish only one ''tone'' of voice on the choirs, if it was a choir you would notice a lot of different tonalities blending together to form one voice.