Symphony X choir vocals.

It's strange... on LotEoF, most backup vocals are easily-recognized as backup vocals being sung live. Whether the vocals aren't perfectly on key, or the volumes aren't perfectly mixed, you can just tell. For the Sins and Shadows bridge, it sound like a pre-recording, mainly because it is exactly the same as the studio version... perfectly on key, mixed and everything. On the other hand, if it IS a pre-recording, timing that would be really difficult without playing to a metronome from the start.
It's recorded from the studio version. It's probably pretty tricky to change the tempo up like that but the song does slow down suddenly at that part (since they speed it up live, which kicks ass and gives it a lot of energy).

The intro to Divine Wings of Tragedy on the studio version is layered Allens, its not hard to be 6 people with the magic of a studio!

okay is that seriously all russel allen? i wouldn't have guessed a single voice in that choir was allen...

but then they never credited anyone else on the album...

seriously, if thats all him I have just ascended to the next level of Russel appreciation.

i mean the head voice sopranist shit too? all the way down to the bass/baritone E? like, i would assume he can hit that note, its just the tone of the voice is way better than I would expect from him considering his normal tessatura.

okay is that seriously all russel allen? i wouldn't have guessed a single voice in that choir was allen...

but then they never credited anyone else on the album...

seriously, if thats all him I have just ascended to the next level of Russel appreciation.

i mean the head voice sopranist shit too? all the way down to the bass/baritone E? like, i would assume he can hit that note, its just the tone of the voice is way better than I would expect from him considering his normal tessatura.

Yeah, I'm also 99.99% sure it's all Russel Allen. Pretty amazing really, not every metal singer could pull that one.:headbang:

And that choir thing live, I think it's as Mantis Warrior said. A sample mixed with live vocals.

obviously pre-recorded stuff. i don't mind.

i do wish that for something like 'divine wings,' they're able to do, if not a choir thing, an instrumental adaptation of the different harmonies live.