Regarding Divine Wings of Tragedy

ebeyrent

NH Symphony X fanatic
Dec 8, 2005
www.pigeffer.com
I absolutely love the opening chorale work in "The Divine Wings Of Tragedy." Is this an original composition, or is it adapted from an existing work?

I think, I remember reading somewhere (quite some time ago), that SX actually researched and learned the rules for medieval chorals to be able to write and produce an "authentic" piece of choral music.

This would lead to the conclusion that this piece is originally composed.

But since I don't know where I read this anymore and if I remember it correctly, I can't tell you for sure.

After the vocal intro, the influence is from Gustav Holst's "The Planets", and more specifically from the movement "Mars: The Bringer Of War". Of course, there are other influences in there as well. I just wasn't sure about the vocal intro.

Does anyone have a midi of this?

Neva Kee said:
I think, I remember reading somewhere (quite some time ago), that SX actually researched and learned the rules for medieval chorals to be able to write and produce an "authentic" piece of choral music.

This would lead to the conclusion that this piece is originally composed.

But since I don't know where I read this anymore and if I remember it correctly, I can't tell you for sure.

I can definitely tell that they researched it--we learned some about those rules in a music appreciation class, and it sounds an awful lot like an organum or motet (though it's been several years since that class, so I can't really tell the two apart anymore).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motet

Anyone know where I can find a transcription of it, so I can try again for my school?

That choir intro is just astouning. Sir Allen just shredds totally with that magnificent entrance, and the atmosphere that it brings to our ears while the song is being executed. It, like, announces what should be coming for the next 24 minutes. :D

its just like in the intro track to V: The New Mythology suite

prelude

its the same as Verdi-Requiem Mass a piece from that opera called dies irae just been metallized for lack of a better word. modern update to it if you will.

that pathetique sonata in C minor by beethoven is so awesome especially the 1st and 3rd movements.

here is a guitar tab to the second movement http://www.classtab.org/lvb_13_2.txt

i have seen my piano teacher at school play that on the piano flawlessly its amazing to watch.

yea a friend and I were taking music theory course r third semester of four and our professor was the orchestra leader also so we decided to write out the choral part of the Divine wings so the choir could sing it. but the choir never got around to singing it partly because the teacher was a big whore lol.

also the intro is really similar to gregorian chant. I think that is the effect they were going for.

I'm so glad i studied classical music for 2 years hehe its pretty cool because you start to see the techniques that symphony X uses in their writing.

Anyone else writing music in here like non-modern more like classical music and choral pieces?

Metalman7983 said:
yea a friend and I were taking music theory course r third semester of four and our professor was the orchestra leader also so we decided to write out the choral part of the Divine wings so the choir could sing it. but the choir never got around to singing it partly because the teacher was a big whore lol.

The exact same thing happened with me!!! Isn't that a bitch?

Haha. Thats pretty funny. But nay. I doubt that there's really gonna be anybody else in Atlantis aside from me. It's underwater here. I doubt you'd be able to breathe down here.