The Divine Wings Of Tragedy

Dobbit

Oprah
Jun 29, 2004
Quincy, Ma
Hi, does anyone know if the Divine Wings Of Tragedy (the track) is based off of a book or anything? I've been wondering it for a while so I figured someone here might know. Thanks.

I think that it's loosly based off of "Paradise Lost" by John Milton. I have read this epic, and it is a story about Satan's fall from heaven. The second book is called "Paradise Regained". I am not sure of this, but would bet on DWOT being based on it.

Alright, cool, thanks man! I've been looking for some new reading material and it seemed like if TDWOT was based off a book it would be cool to check it out.

Mail the question to mail @ symphonyx.com & I'll pass it along to Romeo..may take a while, but he will answer it, and it may end up in the faq..

I have always wondered that too. I just figured that it was an "original" concept they made up. I don't see how it relates to that book that was mentioned because I don't see anything that would resemble Satan in the song. What I get from the song (my opinion of course:p) is that it is about an angel that is sent down from heaven to do a most saddening deed which is to destroy humanity. Not as much in an evil way as something that just has to be done for the sake of humanities faults (such as being too advanced with technology, playing "God", and others things such as those). The end of the song sounds kind of like the world is cleansed and ready to start a new day with new people that get a chance to live and hopefully don't make the same mistakes. I don't know, sounds kinda deep, but that is what I got out of it. Maybe SyX wants us to think up our own vision by having the words in the song sound so broad that it could mean just about anything to anyone?

symphonyXjapan said:
I don't see anything that would resemble Satan in the song.

In Part V: The Prophet's Cry, Russ starts singing about the Dark Prince, the River Styx, and a bunch of other "evil" stuff. Not that it's a direct reference to Satan, but it seems to have a connection...

I like your explanation, though! Deep stuff!

Dobbit, your e-mail was received & forwarded to MJR. I'll pass along any reply he has for you once he tackles the huge pile of e-mail waiting for him in his mailbox..hehe. :)

I don't see how it relates to that book that was mentioned because I don't see anything that would resemble Satan in the song. What I get from the song (my opinion of course:p) is that it is about an angel that is sent down from heaven to do a most saddening deed which is to destroy humanity. Not as much in an evil way as something that just has to be done for the sake of humanities faults
not to get all religiousy here, theres enough of that on the other thread (though this is theology, not 'religion').. but that is the point of Satan. Like theres not any such thing as 'good' or 'evil', they all have their part to play, and thats his. The idea of Satan is really nothing to be afraid of (unlike the churches teach), and if thats what you get from DWOT then they captured it well.

Well, I may or may not have been wrong, but "Paradise Lost" is still really interesting, although hard to get into. Dobbit, if you are looking for new reading material, I strongly recommend "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. The book blew me away, and I think that everyone should read it.

Hey Toten, could you tell me what "The Fountainhead" is about? Like, the setting and a little bit about the book or whatnot, I'm always interested in a good read. So far my favorite books that I've read have been (in no order)

The Hobbit - Tolkien
Beyond Good And Evil - Friedrich Nietzsche
Napalm And Silly Putty - George Carlin
Braindroppings - George Carlin
The Mysterious Stranger - Mark Twain

I also like a lot of stuff by Edgar Allen Poe. Theres more stuff that I've read that I like, but I can't think well right now.

Well the song is definately about an angel though because there is a picture of one right on the cover of the album which is titled "The Divine Wings of Tragedy". So that much of what the song is about should be clear at least. Hehe, all this talk has made me want to go listen to the song. Guess I will go do that now.....

Dobbit- as you are obviously open minded (Nietzsche), have a sense of humor (Carlin), I think you would enjoy the Fountainhead. It is a book based on a philosophy by Ayn Rand, where it urges everyone to become their own heroic being. The story is in the form of an architect named Howard Roark and his struggle to get along without conforming to anyone's standards. The book is not only a great story, but an intriguing philosophy. The book runs about 750-800 pages, and most libraries and bookstores have it. Ayn Rand's philosophy is also plainly written out in her work "Anthem", which is similar to Nietzsche in a way. Also, check out www.anyrand.org. Cheers!