Divine Wings of Tragedy

I think when it comes to "bad" tracks on Divine Wings, my only problem really is Out of The Ashes. The rest of the tracks are good to great imo. Just can't really stand that one.

Yeah, I'm dropping my jaw at this too. I understand the opinion that it's a little too power metal for standard SX tastes, but I absolutely love this song. Seeing them play it live was one of the best experiences ever.

@ eyeballs comment about Pharaoh vocals : Its an odd approach for sure but I like it for that, kind of makes you listen and think "hummm". Interesting that I have been sitting here right now listening to AIC Dirt thinking about how it has a few really wierd melodies and "why?"

It's a hit and miss with me. AIC is a good comparison as far as odd melodies go. I'm usually very into inventive/strange melodies, but something about "Pharaoh" just doesn't work for me.

It's hard for me to dislike because I have an obsession with Egyptian mythology and tonality, but every time I hear "grouuuuunnnnnnd" I just shake my head.

I've always known that I seem to be alone with my Out of The Ashes opinion... Seems that many people even consider it a favourite. I just find some things annoying (including the intro). Think it's just all over the place, in a not so good way. And very power metal. But remember that I don't really like Evolution either so I guess it has to do with that.

I've always known that I seem to be alone with my Out of The Ashes opinion... Seems that many people even consider it a favourite. I just find some things annoying (including the intro). Think it's just all over the place, in a not so good way. And very power metal. But remember that I don't really like Evolution either so I guess it has to do with that.

Out of the Ashes > Evolution in my book.

Here's how I rank them:

1. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
2. Candlelight Fantasia
3. The Accolade
4. Pharaoh
5. Sea Of Lies
6. Of Sins And Shadows
7. The Eyes Of Medusa(though the live version is superior to the song above)
8. Out Of The Ashes(SX occasionally has either tinkered and/or flirted with cheesiness - this song is one of those times)
9. Witching Hour(only sub-standard SX song on the album as far as I'm concerned - some excellent guitar work though).

Let me have it.