After hearing The Odyssey.....

Spork

New Metal Member
Nov 26, 2003
www.sporkrocks.com
After hearing The Odyssey, I borrowed my friends V - The New Mythology Suite, and it's so different from The Odyssey. I didn't get that same brutal feeling I got when I rocked to The Odyssey. I posted before that I didn't know where to go after The Odyssey, and people said to rock to Divine W. O. T. I will however get all of the C.D.'s someday, but I think that Symphony X really outdid themselves with The Odyssey. To be honest, I'm ready for the newer material. I'm not bashing them in any way, shape, or form, I just think that they have a very bright and solid future ahead of them.

My little advice: "V" needs a lot of spins into your CD player to be fully appreciated. It's not "in-your-f'ing-face" metal like The Odyssey, it's more complex... it worked for me, at least.

First time: Yeah, good work on the tracks... but Absence of Light just blows.

Second time: Great, great riffs... amazing vocals... killer bass groove on Egypt! Yay! Lepond owns!

Third time: Oh God, this is awesome. Communion and Oracle is full of emotions!! There's a lot of contrast between songs, and each one is soo great on its own... except for Absence of Light, not that good.

Fourth time: Holy Jeebus! Incredible Bach section on A fool's paradise!! I love that keyboard sounding... it's so... classical. This song is becoming one of my favourites!

Fifth time: Rediscovery pwns u. Period. Nothing beats that.

Sixth time: Teh album pwns u. Period. A total masterpiece.

So you see... V is one of those albums that you have to listen a lot of times to appreciate its beauty.

Cheers!

PS: Yup, The Odyssey and V are sooooo different. And TDWOT and TiO are soooo different too. It's great to see how the band progresses when they release a new album. Let's see what happens the following year(s)!

Knight of the Templar,
Thanks for the following information. I agree that I need to give it many more listens. I'm very excited to hear more of Symphony X.

Yeah, V didn't really amaze me until a few months after I started listening to Symphony X heavily. It was the last SX album I got into, but now, it might just be my favorite. I think V is one of the most well-rounded Symphony X albums. It has a little bit of everything and I think that many people tend to overlook the heavier aspects of the album, such as The Bird-Serpent War (underrated awesome song no one ever mentions), Evolution, and various parts of other songs such as Fallen, Egypt, and Rediscovery Pt2.

So even if you're not too into it, give it a spin every once in a while, and I guarantee, V will grow on you, or at least some of it.

I never really liked V. I've had it for about 5 months now and frankly only a few songs blew my mind. It's too hard to follow the story. Communion and the Oracle, Egypt, and Rediscovery are the only 3 that really stand out. Yes, all the songs on V are good, but I don't think they're all Symphony X top quality like the 3 I listed.

Just my opinion. My fav is DWoT album.

-Kronikle

Knight...that post was eerily similar to my own impressions after listening to V the first few times, right down to not liking Absence Of Light until much later on...now I think it's damned good. I think by the second listen I was convinced of the album's awesomeness, and several songs like Evolution and Egypt blew me away at first listen.

Demonspell said:
Knight...that post was eerily similar to my own impressions after listening to V the first few times, right down to not liking Absence Of Light until much later on...now I think it's damned good. I think by the second listen I was convinced of the album's awesomeness, and several songs like Evolution and Egypt blew me away at first listen.

Yup, Evolution was the first SyX track I ever heard... it blew me away. Technical precision, incredible riffs, über cool vocal lines... then I got "V". Shit... Egypt is one of my favourites ever. The tracks I loved at first "sight" were: Evolution, Egypt and The Death of Balance/Lacrymosa.

Absence of Light... darn good song. Now I love it. The keyboard/crazy guitar intro is great!! :D :cool:

V took a while to grow on me, a few months... but now it's my favorite album... it's just awesome. It's about the balance of good and evil - it doesn't get much more metal than that! :)

Once I read the story on the site, it helped. It really brought out the desperation of the last few tracks (A Fool's Paradise, Rediscovery), the awesomeness of Communion and Bird-Serpent War. And the last few minutes of the CD leave me so unsettled, it's creepy.

I think V needs to be looked at as a concept album and not individual songs to be fully appreciated. If you try to directly compare it to any of their other albums, you are basically comparing apples to oranges (to be somewhat trite about it). When I first started listening to V, not knowing it was a concept album, I thought it was extremly cool, but it was evident that a lot of the songs did not stand alone well. Then, upon hearing the repetition of musical themes in the overall flow, it became evident what the aim of that album was, and my enjoyment of it has been increasing ever since. Never have I heard a concept album weave such fantastic themes and melodies in such a unique and enjoyable way. V is an absolute masterpiece, it's just important to look at it the right way. I almost never put V in the player without planning to listen to it straight through. You just can't experience the full depth of the album without doing so. The Odyssey is an absolutly phenominal album, and many individual songs are extremly well crafted. V is just as good, and in my mind probably a bit better, you just have to listen to it the right way.

I loved V from the first time I heard it. It is right up there with DWOT as my second favorite Symphony X cd behind the Odyssey. It has such well crafted, meaningful songs. The solos overall are not as in-your-face as the other cds, but it still has some mindboggling playing. You just have to listen for those spots a little more carefully. A Fools Paradise, Communion and the Oracle, and Fallen have some of my favorite Romeo solos to date.

Some things you just gotta listen to a few times before they click. Hell I had to listen to Hatecrew Deathroll like 3 times before I rated it as one of my fav cds of all time, and that is strange since CoB is my fav band next to SymX.

Anyway the first song I heard by SymX was Sea of Lies, and I was like \m/ then I believe it was evolution and Of Sins and Shadows.

ON the V subject I had to listen to Rediscovery part2 like 5 or 6 times before I figured WOW THIS SONG KICKS INCREDIBLY LARGE PORTIONS OF ASS and was bashing my head to it. Give it a chance dude it will grow on you. Shit I had to listen to Train of Thought at least 10 times before I decided it was worthy of being in my cd binder, must be a Prog thing.