After hearing The Odyssey.....

V took me one listen to appreciate. It's far and away my favorite Symphony X album, and I hope the band reaches those heights again on the next album. Every song is a standout to me... and there is a lot of heaviness that people overlook... "Rediscovery" is quite simply Symphony X's most underrated song... it's an epic and extremely heavy and "evil" sounding throughout... the complexity on the album is staggering

V was my first album, bought after hearing about the first 5 songs, and absolutely blew me away. It's perfect: start to finish.

The Odyssey was really a bit of a let down with its (seeming) "back-to-the-roots" heaviness that tends to irritate me. It misses out on the complexity of V, which was its most accomplished feature. Especailly as the complexity never overshadowed the songs themselves.

I've heard both V and Odyssey so many times its not even funny and i prefer the Odyssey every time. Songs like communion, fallen and egypt stand out as amazing but in general i much prefer Odyssey

squeemu said:
Last night at the concert was the first time I found out the album was pronounced "five" and not "vee". I had heard differently for so many years. Oh, and I love the album.

Haha, I only found that out recently too (though I guess I subconsciously knew all along, seeing as how it's their fifth album and what the hell kind of album name is the letter "V?"). But I still say "vee." It just sounds right to me.

I liked every SyX album the first time I heard them except for "V" (not including the self-titled for poor production and even poorer vocals). It took me a long time to appreciate how incredible this album is, and it has surpassed "Divine Wings" as not only my favorite SyX album, but my favorite album period. And Divine was my favorite for more than 4 years. NOw it's number 2 on my list. :)

Benzine said:
It should be called "vee". When you read out roman numerals you don't say "five one one" you say "vee i i" (for 7 for example)

That's true. It would be acceptable to call the album "vee", which is good, because that's always what I called it. :)

I like the Oddyssey over V a fair bit actually. I guess it's because i like metal over prog mabey, i dunno. I just think they mastered their craft by getting the piont across in a heavier yet melodic style. Tracks like Inferno, Wricked, KOT, The turning are just so fucking awsomme while songs like Accolade 3, Awakenings, and the title track are some of SyX's best ever epics. But V is still definately a masterful album.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
I like the Oddyssey over V a fair bit actually. I guess it's because i like metal over prog mabey, i dunno. I just think they mastered their craft by getting the piont across in a heavier yet melodic style. Tracks like Inferno, Wricked, KOT, The turning are just so fucking awsomme while songs like Accolade 3, Awakenings, and the title track are some of SyX's best ever epics. But V is still definately a masterful album.

Fucking THE TURNING :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I love that song.......... :hotjump:

Mr. Shred-ididle said:

What the hell? THeres Three Accolades? Who? WHat? WHere? Why haven't I been informed of the Third Accloade..

And did we ever figure out Mike Leopold??