Review - "The Odyssey"

Originally posted by Dado-x
See, Thomas Miller's playing will probably be the only thing I will miss about Odyssey. He could really shred on bass.

Thomas Miller is one of my all time favorites, his work on TDWOT is absolutely amazing, and I hear Mike LePond didn't get the chance to prove himself on "Oddysey".

LePond's bass playing is more towards the front, in the mix, than my review indicated. When I commented that LePond's bass playing was lost in the mix, I failed to account for the fact that I was listening to the MP3s through speakers that don't handle bass all that well.

GZ

I'm really ashamed to see what people can write there sometimes... a musician has nothing to prove. he just does his/her music. Is music a competition ? Why Mike Lepond should be "proving" that he is as good or not as good as Thomas Miller??? His work on Odyssey is great, I would like to see some of you playing the stuff at his place. So much stupid words, I'm really sad to see what fans can write sometimes... and Russell Allen himself told me that he is also bored with too much "Shred" in the music... (of course Mike can do lots of Shred on the bass, and seems that some of you didn't listen to the CD well... but it's not a bass CD, it's enough IMO. He has nothing to prove, musicians have nothing to prove... music is not a competition. Engrave that deep in your mind.)

Originally posted by SarkOfAge
I'm really ashamed to see what people can write there sometimes... a musician has nothing to prove. he just does his/her music. Is music a competition ? Why Mike Lepond should be "proving" that he is as good or not as good as Thomas Miller??? His work on Odyssey is great, I would like to see some of you playing the stuff at his place. So much stupid words, I'm really sad to see what fans can write sometimes... and Russell Allen himself told me that he is also bored with too much "Shred" in the music... (of course Mike can do lots of Shred on the bass, and seems that some of you didn't listen to the CD well... but it's not a bass CD, it's enough IMO. He has nothing to prove, musicians have nothing to prove... music is not a competition. Engrave that deep in your mind.)

Wow. Another smartass. :rolleyes:
Listen, I'll say anything I want and I'll miss whoever I want (unless I get banned, that is). If I say I miss Thomas Miller, it doesn't mean I want Mike Lepond to start shredding like a maniac. Even if he really does shred on the new CD, it's just not the same because I just miss Miller's own personal style, that's all.
I'm really sick and tired of those 'righteous' and 'enlightened' posts telling me I should be ashamed because of my 'stupid words'. If I like something, I just like it, so why don't you engrave THAT deep in your mind...
...and give me a break, will ya? :mad:

Wow. Another smartass. :rolleyes:
Listen, I'll say anything I want and I'll miss whoever I want (unless I get banned, that is). If I say I miss Thomas Miller, it doesn't mean I want Mike Lepond to start shredding like a maniac. Even if he really does shred on the new CD, it's just not the same because I just miss Miller's own personal style, that's all.
I'm really sick and tired of those 'righteous' and 'enlightened' posts telling me I should be ashamed because of my 'stupid words'. If I like something, I just like it, so why don't you engrave THAT deep in your mind...
...and give me a break, will ya? :mad:

Hey man, keep it cool :) I said nothing against you, I even never thought to you at any time (I really wonder where you read so)... I miss Thomas too, he was my fave bass player :)

Originally posted by SarkOfAge
Hey man, keep it cool :) I said nothing against you, I even never thought to you at any time (I really wonder where you read so)... I miss Thomas too, he was my fave bass player :)

Oh...sorry! :D

Oh...sorry! :D

no problem Dado-x :D

There are lots of people already posting in that thread, I did not understand why you took the words for you when it was really not against you, really... ;)

So I have found another fan of Thomas Miller ? Welcome Bro' :) Damn! I seriously wonder what is he doing now!

Well, I was the first one who actually mentioned the word 'shred' on this thread, but I said it in a sense of apreciating Miller's playing, so I thought I was getting flamed because of that.
Nevermind that.
Yeah, I'm a fan of Thomas Miller and It's not quite clear to me why he left in first place. He did a lot of lyrics and everything, so I'll definately miss him. I mean, someone who writes lyrics to songs like Candlelight Fantasia definately earns my respect and appreciation.
So, you know Russ? Cool!!

"as he does during a jaw-dropping moment in “Wicked”, Sir Russell has taken his rightful place near the pinnacle of Rock and Metal’s vocal hierarchy."

Man, you aren't kidding!!! I just heard some of the songs from the album, including the title track. I can hardly put it into words, but I'll try. To me, it surpasses TDWOT *ducks a thrown rock* and that moment in Wicked. . . . .I had to listen to that about 3 or 4 times after! I was absolutely stunned. After V, and after Star One, and now The Odyssey, I have no doubt that Russel Allen is my absolute favorite singer.

Wow!
A thread about Thomas Miller?! :D
I consider myself one of the biggest Thomas Miller's fan ever,and I gotta say..He's still my favorite.
Yeah,I have no doubt,Lepond surely kicks major ass.But I think it's just as a BASS PLAYER.Thomas were more than that.Thomas were one of the three main COMPOSERS in SyX.He also writed LYRICS.
I have no records of him live,but Im sure he kick's ass.
IMO Lepond does 20x better live.
Of course Lepond kick's ass,and Thomas were not better than him,I think he were just a more complete musician,and I hope I will prefer him for a looooooong time ;)

Lepond of course is the perfect replacement for Thomas Miller,but no one replaces Miller.Lepond have his very own style too,and it's up to you to choose your favorite :cool: