New on here.

Out of the Ashes

New Metal Member
Yep, I am new on here. "Out of the Ashes" is one of my favorite Symphony X songs.

I really like "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" CD. I kept hearing so many people say that CD is Symphony X's best CD, and I agree with them.

I also kept hearing so many people say that Symphony X sounds so similar to Dream*Theater. I can see where people can say that, but Russell Allen does not sound like James LaBrie or Charlie Dominici at all. Russell Allen sounds more like Matt Barlow from ICED EARTH, which is a good thing because Matt Barlow is an awesome singer.

I also prefer Michael Romeo over John Petrucci too. John Petrucci is a great guitarist, but I like Michael Romeo's playing skills better.

Personally, I don't see much of a resemblance between Dream Theater and Symphony X myself, except occasionally in keyboard work, or when Romeo slows down to play something like the "Candlelight Fantasia" or "Egypt" solo...but anyway, welcome! :)

Divine Wings is an excellent choice, and my 2nd favorite album behind V.

Welcome!

I once heard someone said that if you were to blend Dream Theater and Iron Maiden you will get Symphony X. I don't know if this is true because I have not heard much from Iron Maiden.

You should get "An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess". It is a very nice non-metal album.

Odyssey is still my favorite epic because it was the first one I heard and it got me into SX. After that is Devine Wings of Tragedy then V.

Out of the Ashes said:
but Russell Allen does not sound like James LaBrie

I think Russ is better than LaBrie, I mean hes better than a lot of singers out there but James tries so hard to get his voice high it ends up sounding a bit strained
while Russ actually knows how high his voice can go and plays it safe, and he ends up sounding near perfect.

btw:Russ reminds me more of dio than barlow.

I hear elements of Pantera, Kansas, Classical, Cacophony, and everything else in the music. As for the vocals, Russ Allen reminds me of a little Dio, a dash of Steve Walsh, a touch of Carl Albert, and a lot of other elements.

To be honest, I don't hear much Dream Theater at ALL in Sym-X, other than the fact that they do a lot of odd-meter.

Oh, and DWoT is one of my favorite SymX CDs, too. Welcome.