Symphony X in Classic Rock Mag Special

forgottenglory

Earth. Soul. Rock n' Roll
Jan 26, 2003
London, UK
www.forgottenglory.com
In case this has not been posted before, I have just been through Classic Rock Magazine's Prog Special issue and there is a three page special about Symphony X with a glorious pin up of Russell Allen and Michael Romeo suitable for framing!

Is it that picture with romeo looking pissed off and russell gritting his teeth doing the metal horns pointed horizontally forward?

Hiya I'm looking at the mag now. It is Classic rock presents..Prog issue 3/4. Its got a lot to do with Rush, which doesn't hurt a bit! however you would be wanting the article starting on page 88.
All this is from Michael Romeo
high points: Paradise lost is their biggest seller by FAR!
He runs through each album and rates them! (least fave of MR..Twilight in Olympus!)
Biggest hugest news.. Michael says that the idea is to wrap up the NEW ALBUM by Jan 2010!!!!!! He may just be referring to pre production but I think it means that it'll drop in 2010! He says that due to the response to PL the next album is incredibly important so they won't be rushing anything.
Hope I've brightened your day.
P.S. the picture of Russ and Mike is a bit on the "Rock wanky snarl" side. But I like bands in corpse paint so I no complain.
Peace out!:headbang:

high points: Paradise lost is their biggest seller by FAR!
He runs through each album and rates them! (least fave of MR..Twilight in Olympus!)

I guess this means that the next album probably will end up being another lackluster PL...

I think TIO being his least favourite propably has the most to do with the fact that they had to rush it to the finish. I love that album personally, but I can understand if Romeo feels like it had potential for more.

Yup, rushed out was why he doesn't prefer it.

BTW I'm always surprised and a bit confused by the seeming dislike of PL from some of the "fans" on this site. I will go on the record as saying that it is the BEST album they have done to date. I am, as has been intimated in my previous post, a metal head and proud of it. I was weaned on Rush and Yes and ELP. The album I am most likely to put on is PL, ever since I first picked it up on a whim at a chain store. I've been through the back catalogue and I love Odyssey also, but PL tips it out. Sure Serpents Kiss is an average song (by the ridiculously high standards of the lads, but any other band would donate testicles to achieve it!) These guys have broken through a lot with PL and I think onwards and upwards is the way to go. They are the band, theirs is the decision. They've worked long and hard to get to this stage. I for one, do not begrudge them their tougher and tighter approach. In fact I think it RRRROOOOOOCCCCKKKKS!!!!! :worship: I want to see them as the mega success that their skill in songwriting and playing truly deserve. They are an inspiration and I want more, if success through a harder sound is the price.... I say...what price? SX should be huge, and should DEFINITELY tour Australia!!
Peace out- Slappy

I also think PL is an excellent album. I wouldnt go so far as to say its their best, but it does have some of their best songs on it. I have been a fan for well over 10 years and the album wasnt dissapointing to me at all. It took a little getting used to the slightly extra agressiveness of Russ's vocals on a few of the songs at first (esp Seven) but overall its a great disc. I agree that a little more orchestration and V esque stuff would be nice to see on the next one but whatever they put out im sure I will like it.

i don 't think that RUSS's vocals on PL are too agressive i think it just fits the lyrics i would say th same thing to people who didn't like "SACRIFICE " it 's about a concept album and it have to fit with the emotionnal state of the characters RUSS is singing about ...

Slaphappy said:
BTW I'm always surprised and a bit confused by the seeming dislike of PL from some of the "fans" on this site. I will go on the record as saying that it is the BEST album they have done to date.

Agreed; I don't know why all the hate. Timbre and instrumentation are one thing, but as far as songwriting goes, I think it's some of their most creative and solid work ever. After countless plays it's still mind-bendingly awesome. I can't wait for their next release.

Timbre and instrumentation are one thing, but as far as songwriting goes, I think it's some of their most creative and solid work ever. After countless plays it's still mind-bendingly awesome. I can't wait for their next release.

I have to agree. While PL is far from my favorite Symphony X album, the songwriting really is the best they've done. Sometimes, however, I prefer longer songs with a more orchestrated sound (e.g. Divine Wings, Looking Glass, Odyssey).

I have to agree. While PL is far from my favorite Symphony X album, the songwriting really is the best they've done. Sometimes, however, I prefer longer songs with a more orchestrated sound (e.g. Divine Wings, Looking Glass, Odyssey).

Though PL is definitely the most solid, the song "The Odyssey" is still the single greatest composition in their catalogue. I would this is an opinion, but it's really a fact.

Though PL is definitely the most solid, the song "The Odyssey" is still the single greatest composition in their catalogue. I would this is an opinion, but it's really a fact.

i would say osyssey is their most solid and well balanced album, i think all cuts on that album are great, but from a comercial trimmed down perspective, paradise lost is alot better written, for better or for worse, although im not a fan of some of the songs.

I'm with you; PL is my favorite album of my whole life of any band EVER. My sons like the stuff they call "proggy," but I prefer my metal with some hardness to it. Any ideas of the central theme of the new album, anyone? We knew about the theme for PL way before it hit stores, and if you're talking Jan. '10, someone should have a hint by now of what direction they are taking. I'd love to see them do a horror-themed album.

Slaphappy, you were weaned on Rush, Yes and ELP and you love PL? It's not even in the same class! So ... I'll go on record as saying PL is one of their weakest albums to date. There - that doesn't prove anything, does it, except that we have different opinions!

The title track of PL is really the only song worth listening to, IMHO. The rest of the album is just 'me too' metal. There are enough metal bands out there. I always loved the progressive elements of SX and that's what's sorely lacking in PL.

I'll bet the next album will be similar, as you can't argue with the sales number of PL. I just hope it:

- Has less screaming and more singing
- Has more keys (that sound like keys)
- More of a progressive nature to it