Symphony X in Decibel magazine

Prog Maiden

Mar 1, 2003
Wayne, PA
Visit site
Normally I don't like to toot my own horn but this is my first article published in an actual print magazine, not to mention on one of my favorite topics! :) It's only a 450-word profile on them written in a way to attempt to appeal to more extreme metal fans (as Decibel is an extreme metal mag), but it's exciting for me nonetheless. This was supposed to appear an issue earlier but they had made the Sept issue a Stoner Rock special issue, so somehow I don't think Symphony X would have fit in there. :p

Here's the link: http://www.decibelmagazine.com/features/oct2007/symphonyx.aspx

I am not ripping on the article itself but I can't help but feel that having this article in a mag like Decibel shows that someone is trying to re-assure maybe themselves, but, more importantly others that listening to SyX can be extreme too. It kind of to me sounds like it is bashing dragon/wizard/power metal as a whole in order to confine to what most people who read Decibel think in order to get them to listen to SyX.

First, I don't recall there ever being a dragon or wizard in any SyX song. Second, SyX may not get too deep into the actual story of Paradise Lost on the new album, but, all of their past albums have tuned in to some sort of mythical/literary theme. Third, whether people who listen to SyX play dungeons and dragons or whatever has nothing to do with liking SyX. Lastly (kind of off topic), I am tired of people thinking that power metal is made up of music that have exact distinct key elements in which personifies power metal. Power metal is just the sound and style of the guitars. There is plenty of power metal out there that do not have the "cheesy" elements of bands like Blind Guardian and Rhapsody nor the same elements of song structure either. People think that only these types of bands are power metal because they have cheesy lyrics and choruses. SyX is power metal for the most part as that is the sound of their guitar playing.

Anyway, I think I got worked up over nothing yet these are things I couldn't help thinking about after seeing that article.

It's all opinion. I think it's a fantastic job... yeah, you all know this stuff but the decibel readers don't necessarily. It's very apparent to me that she knows her audience that she's writing for and appealing to what will sound good to the readers. Once again, great article.

Thanks guys! :)

@symphonyxjapan: As an aspiring writer, I welcome criticism and appreciate honesty (as long as there are no personal attacks, of course). I understand where you're coming from, though I disagree that SymX is power metal--and so did Romeo in my interview. Actually he doesn't even consider SymX to be a true "progressive" band either for that matter, and that's the angle I decided to use for my piece.

Zach hit the nail on the head - you always have to consider your audience as a writer. I could have written an extremely different article for a different magazine, but since Decibel is an extreme metal magazine I had to keep in mind what elements of the band that type of metalhead might enjoy and take into consideration the fact that many of my readers are probably unfamiliar with the band.

I agree that SyX is not mere power metal, yet I do not think a lot of bands are mere power metal either. However, like I stated before I personally think power metal refers more to the syle and sound of the guitars. I also realize that SyX plays other styles of guitar it is just that I mostly hear a power metal style (of guitar) in their music. I like to refer to SyX as progressive/power metal or progressive/power metal with neoclassical or symphonic influences. It is a sad day when sub-genres still exist and most bands are trying to be their own sound.

On the note of the actual article I said I had nothing against it. It was well written and suited the purpose it was meant to, while at the same time pertaining to the types of people who read that particular publication. I was just stating that I couldn't help but get an akward feeling about it. This is because I think it is sad that people have to be almost bribed to listen to other types of music;for example, telling people that they won't be considered nerdy dungeons and dragons people for listening to SyX. I think people should be persuaded into listening to SyX for what makes them good or unique whether those things have a connection to what they already like or not. Instead of saying that SyX's latest album is pretty heavy and that their material is not related to wizards and dragons as much as people assume; they should be told that SyX is a versatile band, has a vocalist with great range, has an excellent guitarist/composer, has great atmosphere through the use of keyboards, and has an influence of neoclassical and symphonic elements. SyX should not be hidden from what makes them great just because readers of Decibel may be too narrow-minded to try something "different" out that they may end up actually liking in the end.

I think people should be persuaded into listening to SyX for what makes them good or unique whether those things have a connection to what they already like or not. Instead of saying that SyX's latest album is pretty heavy and that their material is not related to wizards and dragons as much as people assume; they should be told that SyX is a versatile band, has a vocalist with great range, has an excellent guitarist/composer, has great atmosphere through the use of keyboards, and has an influence of neoclassical and symphonic elements. SyX should not be hidden from what makes them great just because readers of Decibel may be too narrow-minded to try something "different" out that they may end up actually liking in the end.

As a writer.... this makes absolutely no sense at all. First of all, that does nothing to dispell the pre-concieved notion that some of these readers may have, which is ultimately useless. Plus, it's incredibly elitist to essentially say that just because these guys may have a pre-concieved notion of what symx is that they don't deserve to listen to them. Which is in essence what you are saying here.

As strange as it may sound, part of being a reviewer/journalist is to play the salesman. Say you're a Honda salesman. You wouldn't use the same sales pitch trying to sell a car to an 40 year old woman as you would for a 20 year old guy. For the woman, you'd try to sell the reliability. For the guy, you'd sell the fact that they're "cool" and have the whole ricer thing going for them. Same with metal... same band, different audience / demographic. Just because you're disgusted by those who read decibel doesn't mean they are not a legitimate market.

Like I said, the article itself works great for what it is supposed to do. I was only saying that no matter what it still leaves me with a strange awkward feeling. That feeling has more to do with my knowledge of communication arts and philosophy. The degree I will be recieveing at the end of Spring lets me focus on a few different areas of expertise (one of them being the main area with the most hours put into). My main area is communication arts (mainly PR) yet one of my other areas is philosophy. These two areas always coincide in my mind yet I find it a good thing to see all things from both points of view. Even though I know the article does a great job from a journalist/advertising point of view I can't help but see the truth of what is really going on in the article. The writer stoops to their level to do whatever possible to get readers of Decibel to listen to SyX. But my philosophy background coincides with it and I can't help but feel sad that people cannot try new things out without people persuading them to do so through trying to relate them with things they already like.

I am not being elitist at all. I never said that people who read Decibel should not be allowed the opportunity to learn about SyX or any other band. I merely stated that you should be able to tell them about SyX for what makes them a great and unique band rather than telling them that they will not be considered dragon/wizard loving dungeon and dragon players for listening to SyX. That is something they should have the capacity to understand on their own.

I also, never said I was disgusted by those who read Decibel. If anything I would be more disgusted at the writer if I myself was a Decibel reader because it would be an insult to me that I would never try a new band out without being told they are more like the bands in Decibel than I would have though. I listen to all kinds of music, and if I read Decibel I would be insulted at this article because I would like to know what SyX is really about and what makes them stand out rather than what makes them the same. And if you want to say that most people who read Decibel probably don't listen to a very broad range of music so the article makes sense you would be absolutely right. But, if you are going to put in a commercial speech article about something that does not pertain to the majority of readers of that magazine you are wasting time and money by losing touch base with your target audience. Just as an example let us put this situation in an opposite form.

Extreme metal band "X" gets a small editorial in a magazine called "Prog Elite 5000". The article states that X is not as cannibalist and demon worshipping as people make it out to be and that there are actually some vocals in their music that are a little more cleaner than grunting and not all of the music is just thrashy and actually has some tecnical stuff it it. Of course the writer is doing a good job of getting the readers of "Prog Elite 5000" to try and listen to X, but, does this not look like more of an insult to the extreme metal community or even to those readers of "Prog Elite 5000" who like all kinds of music besides just prog including extreme metal?

Advertising wise this is the best strategyto get that reader base interested, yet, probably even better would be to not advertise to an audience that is not part of your target audience. If you do go about this though, from a philisophical standpoint I feel it is insulting to the community of extreme metal to do this.

First of all, that whole post is very nice, but it doesn't sound like you're really in touch with reality or else you're far too idealistic if you think people are going to just try something out in a genre that they don't like. I've heard bands that i dislike, then someone who is into them points out some things that would appeal to me, may it be a specific song that is a bit outside of their norm that goes up my alley or just different aspects of the music. From there, i gain intrest and get into said band. Sometimes that push is enough to get someone who has already made up their mind about something to give it the time of day. I can appreciate where you're coming from, but where you are coming from is not reality.

Also, with your reverse theory about the death metal band in a prog mag, i think it makes perfect sense and it is in no way an insult to the dm community. Let's be honest, most death metal IS about gore and violence and rather barbaric things. That's the nature of the genre (to call the musicians and fans that would be insulting, but the music is supposed to be like that) and that is off-putting to some people, but sometimes it does take you saying "it's not all like that" to turn someone on to specific bands. In fact, i can count a number of my friends who had that exact thing happen because of me finding that bridge to extreme metal that they would enjoy. Example: One of my buddies is into classic rock and less metal, but i found a few metal bands he'd like. So he got into symphony x, iced earth, megadeth, etc. Then i showed him opeth even though he was vehemently opposed to growling vocals, but was quite taken by "When", pretty much all of Still Life and Blackwater Park, etc. From there he grew to appreciate those vocals and bands that had more elements like that such as Amon Amarth, Death, etc.

Yeah, from an advertising standpoint this is the best, but i don't see where else you are coming from other than (pardon me) bullshit ideals. What you are saying is the very essence of elitist snobbery.

Advertising wise this is the best strategyto get that reader base interested, yet, probably even better would be to not advertise to an audience that is not part of your target audience. If you do go about this though, from a philisophical standpoint I feel it is insulting to the community of extreme metal to do this.

See what i mean? You are just changing "elitist" and hiding it behind the veil of "philisophical standpoint".

Great job and I really appreaciate seeing the effort to turn metal ears toward Symphony X. My younger metal head friends had never heard of them. They had 3 albums out by the time I found them, this is just rediculous. Their draw was too small at our local show and this bothers me. They need exposure and its long over due.

As to other conversation

Symphony X IS NOT POWER METAL! The power metal formula is multi voiced anthem choruses, non stop double bass rolls with stacato guitar pedals that barely move behind the vocals. SX does it all.

Symphony X is a radically extreme, aggressive, neo classical, progressive heavy metal band thats been tearing it up with intense song structures for at least 12 years. Thats all the average metal head needs to hear. Let them sort out the other mood changes after they hear them because they are purposeful in the movement of the music. The only thing in common with power metals bands is the word metal and the fact that power metal people might like them. Thing is, so could some thrash people. Symphony X should never be lumped in with "power metal", worlds apart to my ears. I can listen to SX all day and power metal just wears on me, no need to name the bands because they all get to sounding the same. Symphony X stands alone in the world of metal.

I said a few times already that I understand how reality is and that from a communications point of view that is how things go. But, I also said that having the philisophical background keeps my own ideals straight. I know its just ideals but if I don't at least express them things in this world will never change. If more people were not scared to follow or at least express their own personal philisophical ideals things in society would maybe have a chance to change. I thought I remembered you backing your friend up on another thread a while back when he was telling another forumer that people in our country need to create their own ideals rather than trust in politicians if society was to ever get better. I can't remember your friends name on here but he is the one that a lot of people think is mean for some reason. I'll probably remember his forum name after I post this.

Anyway, back on topic. Me saying that a better strategy would be to not advertise to an audience that is not part of your target audience is in no way an elitist thought. It is nothing but good public relations. That is a most basic and common PR guideline that should be well regarded when putting out any kind of news print or media. I can't even begin to imagine how you can turn my words around to make it seem like I am an elitist. I told you before that I am not any kind of prog snob or any of that. I listen to plenty of more extreme metal music along with prog and power. Even though I mostly listen to metal I even listen to a little bit of smooth jazz, transcendental, and world music. I don't think prog is the end all be all ultimate genre of music or anything like that. And neither do I feel that only certain people should be allowed or are competent enough to listen to it. You are right that there are plenty of people out there that get into other kinds of music through someone pointing out similarities between it and the kind of music they already like. It is just that from a communications point of view those few people that would get into the music by comparing similarities would not be enough of a payout for the time and money spent on the commercial speech article targeted at an audience that is not their target audience. And from my own "idealistic" point of view I can't help but feel that people should be open enough to learn about a new band through proper means and description rather than through someone telling them they should like them because they share this and that similarities with bands they already like (once again this last statement is my "idealistic" point of view).

p.s. I am always happy to take part in a mature debate :p

I'll first say that yeah, this debate has been fun and glad that it hasn't degenerated into "UR A FAG!!!" :lol:

I've had a few beers, and i understand what you're saying, but my gut (aka stubborn-ness) tells me i still disagree. I'll get back to you later :lol: