Mainstream music you like

Hyoukinmono said:
I have a serious question. (And I should probably preface this by saying that I am NOT in ANY WAY trying to bash! I'm just trying to understand.)
For more than two decades I've heard people rave about how incredible Springsteen is, but I don't think I've ever heard anything specific about what is actually so great. To me (and again, I'm not bashing), it all sounds like basic rock and roll, nothing innovative or new, but just basic rock and roll (done very professionally, of course). I don't find any of it especially musically stimulating, lyrically thought-provoking, technically skilled, or piled high with melody.

Can you (or anybody else) tell me what it is that draws people to Springsteen's music? It would help unravel a great mystery that has kept me up at night for years and years, pulling my hair out in frustration.

1) His energy as a working musician and showman with his stable band drew in loads of devoted fans from the high energy stage shows that went on for hours non-stop.

2) The "common working man" theme of his songs in the midst of the glam disco era. Bruce was the one responsible for killing the disco movement. (sorry, Dado!)

3) He's a small town Jersey boy (Asbury Park) o_O

4) Charisma and he appealed to the girls who were not into the hair band types of the early 80s.

I've never really been much of a fan, but this is why he became so big.

Well...I wouldn't say "mainstream" but at least not metal: Megadeth. Only cuz of Dave Mustaine. Many years since I listened to them now, but I have most of their albums...

Besides that I also like "De Lyckliga Kompisarna" and the swedish old prog band "Nationalteatern", not cuz they make particularly good music or anything, only because they make music that is good for drinking and partying...