Mainstream music you like

Tons of classic rock bands, but especially Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

Here's what I told my friends about it in our e-mail group:
Hey, I meant to post about this before but I forgot. Anyhow, I was at the Bruce Springsteen show Monday night in Philly in the SECOND ROW (standing in general admission). It was incredible! Many people there had been to a LOT of Springsteen shows (a guy next to me was at 50 just on this tour) and they were all saying it was either one of the best or THE best.

A set list (incredible) and discussion are available here: http://discussions.brucespringsteen.net/thread.jsp?forum=32&thread=62141

I was standing right in front of legendary sax player Clarence Celmons and guitarist Nils Lofgren...good stuff. Bruce even pointed to me during Born to Run because I gave hand guestures for ONE-TWO-THREE-FOUR! before he said it (you have to know the song to know what the hell I'm talking about). Rock.

All in all, probably the best show I'll ever see in my life.
Granted, I wish that I didn't miss the Blind Guardian/Symphony X show last November...I had only heard a little of both bands at the time, but decided to go to a semiformal instead. Bad idea. Both BG and SX are two of my absolute favorites now, behind Iron Maiden, Bruce Springsteen, and Iced Earth.

None of the current mainstream music, but I am a sucker for 80's pop and 70's disco. Stuff like Spandau Ballet, Bonnie Tyler, Donna Summer, Boney M etc.

Is there as such a thing as mainstream music anymore? OH you mean what gets played on MTV and radio today.....umm, not really. If you mean stuff that was popular based on its musical merits(a practice which lost popularity after 1992); yeah I have CD shelves full of that stuff. I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy; I like music that has melody and movies that have a plot. I'm funny that way. I LOVE Beethoven. Is that "mainstream" enough?:lol:

Woops, I guess not.

FLechdrop said:
So who did stuff like theirs before?

About 150,000,000,000,000 late-70s/early-80s punk bands.

When I first heard Nirvana, I thought that they were a punk cover band.
When I heard that they claimed to be doing original music, I nearly died laughing.

It's kind of hard to draw the line between mainstream and underground. When I first started listening to UFO, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Rush, and stuff like that in the 70s, they were definitely underground in the US. By 1980, they were all being played on the radio. There are also bands that have one song that everybody knows, but most of their stuff is mostly unknown. I think that Thin Lizzy is a good example of that. People who are into Thin Lizzy know their vast catalog, but the average person knows "The Boys are Back in Town" and maybe "Jailbreak." I like those songs, but they are nowhere near being my favorite Thin Lizzy songs.

I guess there are a few bands that I like that have been consistently known for a large part of their careers, and spent relatively little time in the underground.

Cheap Trick (They're just plain fun!)
Van Halen (Their first album was legitimate metal, though.)
Dokken (Don Dokken got to be the butt of a lot of jokes, but Dokken has a lot of great melodies, and they are great live. Don Dokken can still belt 'em out, too.)
Deep Purple/Rainbow (Kind of a mix, here, since some of the best stuff from both bands is relatively unknown.)
Kansas (Again, some of the best stuff is unknown, but people know the name.)
Ramones (Kind of the Cheap Trick of punk.)
Whitesnake
Tom Jones (His voice would be great in a metal band!)

I haven't heard a nu-metal (pseudo-metal) band that I could stand for more than a few songs (and quite a few don't make it past a few minutes). Often, the one song I think is OKAY (not great, but okay) is usually their best one, and it all goes downhill from there.
Maybe I've just listened to too many bands for too many years, but SOAD and other bands that are cited as original just don't ever strike me as anything new. Any attempts at originality seem a little too "posed." They do a good job of what they're doing, but nothing every grabs me. I'm not bashing the bands or people who like them. I'm just explaining the effect they have (or rather DON'T have) on me.

ClarifyAmbiguity said:
Tons of classic rock bands, but especially Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

I have a serious question. (And I should probably preface this by saying that I am NOT in ANY WAY trying to bash! I'm just trying to understand.)
For more than two decades I've heard people rave about how incredible Springsteen is, but I don't think I've ever heard anything specific about what is actually so great. To me (and again, I'm not bashing), it all sounds like basic rock and roll, nothing innovative or new, but just basic rock and roll (done very professionally, of course). I don't find any of it especially musically stimulating, lyrically thought-provoking, technically skilled, or piled high with melody.

Can you (or anybody else) tell me what it is that draws people to Springsteen's music? It would help unravel a great mystery that has kept me up at night for years and years, pulling my hair out in frustration.