What do fellow Symphony X fans think of these prog bands?

Symphony X - awesome, duh
Ayreon - haven't heard
Dream Theater - pretty good
Angra - great power metal
Yngwie Malmsteen - eh, not a big fan
Kamelot - amazing power metal
Sonata Arctica - decent power metal
Rhapsody - pretty damn good power metal
Iced Earth - decent power/thrash
Hammerfall - haven't heard

Yeah, most of those bands aren't prog. :p

Symphony X - never heard them :)
Ayreon - not impressed
Dream Theater - like 'em very much except the last shit
Angra - some songs and most of the rebirth album
Yngwie Malmsteen (don't know if it's prog) - his work til fire and ice is very good for me, the others are too dumb with very little exclusions
Kamelot - not bad...Epica is awesome album
Sonata Arctica - first album was great, second was the same but still good, the last was still the same but very boring
Rhapsody - i preffer sonata arctica.
Iced Earth (don't know if it's prog) - some songs, and most of "something wicked this way comes"
Hammerfall - blah.

arglebargle said:
Symphony X - awesome, duh
Ayreon - haven't heard
Dream Theater - pretty good
Angra - great power metal
Yngwie Malmsteen - eh, not a big fan
Kamelot - amazing power metal
Sonata Arctica - decent power metal
Rhapsody - pretty damn good power metal
Iced Earth - decent power/thrash
Hammerfall - haven't heard

Yeah, most of those bands aren't prog. :p
you think everything is power metal......

Symphony X - /Fantastic, great, love 'em!
Ayreon - /Very good. Like it a lot.
Dream Theater - /I used to love them. But their latest two albums disapointed me.
Angra - /I never liked the vocals of Andre but I really like Eduardo Falaschi
"Reborn" is brilliant :headbang:
Yngwie Malmsteen (don't know if it's prog) /Boring old fart
Kamelot - /Great band really, really like them.
Sonata Arctica - /Euro power metal. So I don't like them
Rhapsody - /LOL!!
Iced Earth (don't know if it's prog) - /I like their older work. I just wish they had a good lead guitarist
Hammerfall - /Euro power metal. So I don't like them

Symphony X - da best
Ayreon - has moments, but I wouldn't waste my time. Most of it is really bland, only a couple songs stand out as worthwhile
Dream Theater - Worth checking out, most people like em. Images and Words is a fantastic album, great song writing. Scenes from a memory is a gorgeous conceptual piece, some of the best keyboard oriented songs
Angra - their newer stuff is phenominal, some of the older stuff is bland. Angels Cry is the album to own.
Yngwie Malmsteen (don't know if it's prog) - worth getting into the older stuff. Rising Force, Fire and Ice, Odyssey, Alchemy are all very diverse albums and the very best of what he has to offer. It's kinda instrumental, 80s pop, 80s metal, power metal, respectivly
Kamelot - BOOOOOOO, don't bother
Sonata Arctica - Don't buy albums, you'll get bored of em. Songs individually time to time are really enjoyable
Rhapsody - a little to over the top and unemotional. Symphony of the Enchanted lands is worth looking into, and most people say the new one is really good. Just download Emerald Sword, that's about as much as you need
Iced Earth (don't know if it's prog) - REALLY REALLY REALLY bland
Hammerfall - probably the worst thing actually qualifying as power metal. Not a damn innovative, uncliche', worthwhile moment in all their stuff

Dat's my take on it anyway. Listen to Gamma Ray

I can't believe I forgot Adagio. If you like prog-metal, get their latest!!! It's called "Underworld" and it's one of the best prog-metal albums I ever heard.

Ayreon - has moments, but I wouldn't waste my time. Most of it is really bland, only a couple songs stand out as worthwhile

That's what I think of the Universal Migrator set. Apart from that, their other albums are amazing!

I know bands like Styx, Rush, Yes, ELO, ELP, mainly are considered prog. My definition of prog is rock with the symphonic/orchestrated/synthed element to add atmosphere. Just my take.

Anyway, it seems like Adagio is a big must-have among SyX fans. Well I know what I'll be putting on my christmas list :)

Thanks for your opinions!

-Kronikle

Symphony X - Anybody around here who doesn´t love them? If yes, get the f´ out.
Ayreon - Amazing, amazing, AMAZING! "Into the Electric Castle" = best concept album ever!
Dream Theater - Still one of the best bands around. "Train of Thought" is really good, and "Images and Words" is the definite masterpiece of Prog Metal, period.
Angra - Nice, but "only" Power Metal, albeit with a Prog-ish edge. Good musicians though.
Yngwie Malmsteen - Never heard a single song by him, and I can´t say I´m so eager to change that. I just ain´t that high on neoclassical fretboard wanking.
Kamelot - Highly mediocre in my opinion. I had huge expectation for "Epica" and was badly disappointed. Totally paint-by-numbers Power Metal without exciting instrumental stuff or really good melodies. I wouldn´t miss them if they vanished into thin air.
Sonata Arctica - Same as Kamelot, but with even less "Prog". Well, you get awfully sweet, cheesy melodies instead...
Rhapsody - Quite frankly, they suck. Totally overblown Euro Power Metal with a ridiculous affinity towards narrators and longtracks that can´t stay interesting for five minutes. AWFUL singer by the way.
Iced Earth - They have some great songs and used to have a fabulous vocalist, but they can hardly entertain me over the length of a whole album. "Burnt Offerings" is their only really great album in my opinion.
Hammerfall - Nice Euro Power / True Metal, but couldn´t be further from Prog. Great party music, but nothing to listen to attentively...

Symphony X - Love them. All of them are great musicians and they write some great material

Ayreon - I only have the 2 Universal Migrator albums. The second one is awesome, the first one, not so much, IMO. The Star One DVD, "Live on Earth" is a mandatory buy, though.

Dream Theater - Absolutely love them, in spite of what it may seem when I comment on their recent material.

Angra - Greatest power metal band out there, period. And not just because they are fellow Brazilians. :)

Yngwie Malmsteen - Hmmmm, Ingvai can play. His first 2 records are also mandatory if you are into neoclassical stuff. After that, he seems to have fallen into a rut and just rehashes his old material. It's a shame, really, because there's no denying he's an amazing talent.

Sonata Arctica - Another band I'm really fond of, though they are more of what I call Scandinavian power metal. :) The Stratovarius influence is pretty obvious in their music, but they have taken it a step further, IMO. Their singer has a better voice and their music is not as repetitive as Strato's (even though you can only take that style so far).

Rhapsody - I love my cheese (that much will become clear with time :D , but Rhapsody is where it gets too much. The music isn't all that bad really and they're all great musicians, but the final result just grates a bit too much with me.

Iced Earth - not prog at all. I don't know where people fit them, but to me they are more thrash metal than anything. I used to be a bigger fan of theirs (their triple-live cd "Alive in Athens" slays), but "Horror Show" and the soon-to-be-released "The Glorious Burden" seem to lack something, writing-wise.

Hammerfall - Bleh. Can't stand their stuff.

As for other prog bands, I'd definitely recommend 2: Savatage and Pain of Salvation. I can't say enough good things about Savatage, but they only become really proggy from "Handful of Rain" on, when they start using counterpoint vocals and stuff like that. Until that record, they were more straight ahead metal, can't really pinpoint how they would be labeled.

Pain of Salvation is a great Swedish band. Tough to describe what they sound like, seeing as I'm yet to hear anything similar to them, but I guess you could say there is a definite Mr. Bungle influence with a proggier twist to it.

For one, you have Power and Prog mixed but no biggie. In order of preference with a little about each:

Really Amazing:
* Angra - one of the best bands out there. Very cool Prog/Power Metal. Pick up Holy Land and or Angels Cry immediately!
* Dream Theater - the original Prog Metal band. Started out strong. Images and Words is the definitive Prog Metal album. BUY IT. Other notable albums IMO - Awake, A Change of Seasons, and Falling Into Infinity. I think they started to go downhill after that.
* Sonata Arctica - Awesome Power Metal band with hints or Prog. Silence is one of the greatest modern day metal albums. A must have. Very unique sound, and a fresh addition to the Power Metal genre. I wish more Power Metal bands could be so unique.
* Symphony X - Duh. No comment necessary. They rock.
* Yngwie Malmsteen - The Neoclassical master. The original "true" shredder. Awesome player. For a good sample of his works, get The Yngwie Malmsteen Collection. For a solid album, get Trilogy

Have their Moments:
* Hammerfall - Generic Power Metal. It rocks sometimes, but they are pretty cliché and common sounding most of the time.
* Iced Earth - Good unique sounding band. I don't currently have any albums, but I've heard enough songs that make me want to hear more.
* Rhapsody - The epitome of cheesy music. It can be cool as far as Symphonic Metal goes, but it tends to be repetitive and trite the majority of the time.
* Kamelot - Cool sounding Power Metal. I have 1 album somewhere. Though, it's pretty much just Power Metal and nothing more. You've heard one, you've heard them all.

Haven't Listened too Enough:
Ayreon

I forgot to mention my take:

Symphony X - Amazing band. Can't say I've been disappointed with anything they've done. I own every album.
Ayreon - Such a talented guy that Arjen is. Almost all their cds take on a completely different sound than the last one. Ayreon is awesome! I own every album.
Dream Theater - Images and Words blew my mind away. That album is incredible. I also got Metropolis pt. II but wasn't as impressed. I heard Change of Seasons and The Glass Prisons. Both are VERY good.
Angra - I have Holy Land (gotta love Carolina IV) and Rebirth. Excellent band all around. They're style is very definite. They usually start off really soft and slow then instantly shift into powerful rock.
Yngwie Malmsteen - I have Fire and Ice. Wow... this guy is awesome with guitars.
Kamelot - I haven't heard that much from them but from what I did hear, they're really good. Favorite song: The 4th Legacy
Sonata Arctica - I haven't heard that much from them but from what I did hear, they're really good. Favorite song: Full Moon
Rhapsody - Heh... good ol Rhapsody. I like them but it's so embarassing to admit it. I got power of the dragonflame. Pretty decent album (espescially final track). I must say my favorite song by far is Holy Thunderforce. That song is kick ass (not on that cd though)!
Iced Earth - Haven't heard a lot of them but they were pretty decent.
Hammerfall - Templars of Steel is all I heard by them. Sounded excellent so I added them for good measure.

-Kronikle

didnt know if i should post here, coz i think kronikle more than got the answers he was looking for.. but who cares, why should i be denied this joy also :p ..

symphony x - progressive METAL .. obviously one of all our favorite bands or we wouldnt be here. More metal than prog which has been discussed numerous times already but i think we can all agree whatever it is, it kicks ass.

Ayreon / star one - space metal ... alot of songs are pretty cheesy, some songs absolutely own all (dawn of a million souls, high moon etc)..but i like it, even the cheesier songs.

Dream Theatre - generally pure prog tho after the last album I'm becoming inclined to start calling it nu-metal ... only ever liked a few songs, instrumentally its usually pretty good, but LaBrie..'nough said..

Angra - power metal ...but not your average annoying power metal, with the exception of the old singer. With the new singer I like it, slightly rougher edge which is interesting..p.s kiko is hot!.

Yngwie - neoclassical metal - i like some of his stuff, other songs get a bit tiring to listen to, everyone complains about his weight and his ego, but still regardless of all that he is a damn good guitarist.

kamelot - powermetal - havent heard very much, what i have heard is sort of interesting if you like powermetal which i generally dont so cant really comment there.

Sonata Arctica - avantgarde ... not prog metal, not powermetal..just its own style. I generally like it, though its definately something of an acquired taste. My favorite song by them is "Broken".

rhapsody - full on cheesy ass power metal ... ive given these guys a chance, and just hate everything about it. every power metal cliche there is, these guys seem to have it. no offense to rhapsody fans out there, but you know i hate cheesy powermetal.

Iced Earth - not your typical powermetal ... and thats why I like them. Harsher, more aggressive power metal, gutsy, ballsy, whatever word there is for it. Took me a while to get into IE coz they have a very unique, and acquired style. But after I did, I really liked it.

Hammerfall - apparently powermetal. but havent actually heard them so i cant comment.

Adagio - depends which album ... Sanctus Ignis is pretty standard neoclassical and Underworld is AWESOME progressive metal with neoclassical influences. One of my favorite bands though, I just love everything about them.

Symphony X : Prog's finest
Ayreon: Moody rock operas I like a lot
Dream Theater: Another favourite, Images & Words has their finest moments
Angra: Great Prog Power metal
Yngwie Malmsteen: Rising Force blows me away even today
Kamelot: Fantastic power metal with a great singer
Sonata Arctica: decent power metal with not so good singer
Rhapsody: Great fantasy themed metal
Iced Earth: The best power/thrash metal band that exists, Matt Barlow owns
Hammerfall: Boring...boring boring boring
Adagio: Prog's finest

Hmm... I'll look through my CD collection and see what "I" would call prog
Andromeda
Amorphis (newest 3 albums and maybe some of elegy... like I said, my oppinion)
Bozzio, Levin, Stevens (Black Light Syndrome)
Camel
Chroma Key
Derek Sherinian
DReam Theater
Enchant
Evergrey
Gentle Giant (maybe?)
Haji's Kitchen (maybe more "technical metal)
King Crimson :)
Liquid Tension Experiment
Masterplan (more power metal, but SX fans might like)
Mullmuzzler (I'm sorry... sob..sob... should have never bought it)
Neal Morse
Opeth (!)
OSI
Ozric Tentacles
Pagan's Mind ($1000000 you'll like em!)
Pain of Salvation
Pink Floyd (duh)
Planet X
Porcupine Tree
Shadow Gallery
Spiral Architect (INSANE)
Spiritual Beggars (prog tinted semi-classic rock)
Spock's Beard
Star One
Stratovarious (Prog?)
Symphony X (who are they?)
Threshold (meh...)
Time Requiem (rips off SX in about EVER song, and no dynamics,check out though)
Tont Levin Band (Bass/Stick player from King Crimson, LTE and BlackLightSyndrom)
Tony Macalpine (Planet X guitarist)
Transatlantic
Vanden Plas (more so the newer stuff I guess)
Wuthering Heights (more neo-classical power metal, but maybe somewhat proggy)
Zero Hour (PURE BALLS!)

Sorry bout the long post :)