Your top 5 Prog Metal bands

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
I find towers a bit to ehh, repititious. Its complex, proggy as prog can get - but they repeat the same type of riff with the heavy bass-drum BOOM with some technical guitar part in between.
But i know it's supposed to be that way to make it more"mechanical" sounding (hence the concept of the album)

Aw, Shreddi...You and your helicopter music!!! HeHe :wave:

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
My tastes are constantly changeing apart from SyX being #1.
So here is the top 5 for this week

1. SyX
2. DT (I used to be anti-dt, but now i love them)
3. Spiral Architect (I think they out-prog prog!)
4. Andromeda
5. Planet X

I have now changed my opinion (again) after I got the Evergrey album "Recreation Day" Yesterday - I'm totally hooked!

1. SyX
2. Evergrey
3. DT
4. Spiral Architect
5. Andromeda

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
I should really check Opeth Out - what album do you suggest?

hmm... I wouldn't say that SyX are power metal with prog "influences" ANYMORE, They used to be I'll admit. Now I think they're more Heavy Prog Metal. Heheh.... now thats technicality for you
Blackwater Park is what I would generally recommend as a first purchase. But if you specifically want something really heavy, get Deliverance, or if you specifically want something mellow, get Damnation.

I agree about SyX getting more progressive-orientated on the last two albums ... but they haven't crossed the prog line yet, in my opinion.

PS - What does it mean to out-prog prog??? LOL

the "Out-prog Prog" heheh, I though that was pretty clever description of Spiral Architect. If anybody has heard them you would understand.

Alexander TG said:
1) Symphony X
2) Dream Theater
3) Vanden Plas
4) Andromeda
5) Pagens Mind (New album celestial entrance rocks, all buy it!)

Yeah man, Pagan's Mind is awesome! I got Celestial Entrance last week, and it's amazing. Tons of energy and passion. \m/

Also, your list is remarkably similar to mine. :cool:

1. Vanden Plas
2. Andromeda
3. Pagan's Mind
4. Symphony X
5. Evergrey

Other good prog metal bands that you might like are:

Vanishing Point
Magnitude 9
Ark
Sun Caged
Adagio

What can I say man you have good taste :)

Strangely enough I have a few c.d's on order off Amazon which are in fact Evergrey (In search of truth), magnitude 9 (Reality in focus) and one from Ark, stupid Amazon UK are taking forever with the order!

As for Pagan's Mind I'm growing ever more in love with the sound.
One of the all time best prog/metal passages is on the song 'of epic questions', the passage that starts - 'physical obtained nothingness, a nightside tale' oh fuck it's been going through me head for days now, it' rulez.

Vanden Plas don't get nearly enough credit, I loved Beyond Daylight especially Scarlet flower fields and Phoenix very classy, more so than DT but not as complicated.