Everyone List Best Prog Bands/guitartist

OMG Adagio is so cool, I just listened to them for the first time. I still have to listen to some more before I can decide if they're worthy of fan-status yet..but what I hear so far is really bloody good.

Reactions: Chris Brooks
I think I'm the only person on this forum that can't stand Adagio.

I'd reccomend Angra. awesome guitarists.

also At Vance...if you like Yngwie/Strato type stuff.

Olaf Lenk is pretty close to MJR's level, except he always plays below his potential :(

check out At Vance: Centers Early Works
or his solo albums for some awesome fusion-y shred.

now he stay neoclassical mainly but is among the best and most tastful IMO.

Reactions: Chris Brooks
Ok Ok..is it just me or did Adagio's Sanctus Ignis start off a little too similar to Sym X's Smoke and Mirrors?..except that Sym X does it better, and less jarring to the senses. At first I thought my musicmatch was messing up and combining both songs until I realised it wasn't the case.

Adagio is a love/hate kind of bad.

I love 'em 'coz I just can't get enough of the dark, atmospherick orchestration and guitar shreddage from Stephan fort'e.
But some people think otherwise coz they think they saound too much like SyX WHICH IS F****IN BULLSHIT!!!! (j/k) But imo they are much more classical and and symphonic. They combine prog and neo-classicalism together with heaviness and agression like SyX but that doesn't mean they are clones. But anyway that's IMO only.

No I like them, they combine the good vocals with great guitar and combination of instruments, just what I am looking for. It's so hard finding prog metal bands that are so cool. I've listened to alot of the major ones that people here recommend like Dream Theatre Rhapsody Blind Guardian etc. But I guess I'm picky coz I've always thought most of their vocals are David Bowie clones. My opinion.
It's so frustrating finding a band thats worthy of die-hard-fan status.

Yeah,

I remember being the one that told you about DT. when you were new to prog and the board and SyX.

You should also check out Andromeda aswell. Johan is the definition of a prog guitarist ..period.. But if you think the other singers sound like David Bowie, The singer in Andromeda looks like him. But not sounds like him.

"But if you think the other singers sound like David Bowie, The singer in Andromeda looks like him."

LMAO! Yeah sorry wasn't too fond of the DT. Sometimes singers just go a little too overboard working out their vocals. But I will check out Andromeda..ty

Its a great band. I'm listening to the end of the crazy instrumental "Morphing into nothing" right now. Oops, now I'm not.

shredmaster said:
Agreed, Tolkki is nowhere near MJR`s musical abilities and sheer speed

I disagree. Timo has major chops. He's a speed freak, but he lacks ingenuity.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Evergrey. I can't get enough of them lately.

Um, Polyeidus, I'm not saying that you are full of bull, but what you said about timo kinda is.

Sure timo is a speed freek, but only a picking, sloppy speed freek. Very Sloppy, so very sloppy, unbeleivebly sloppy, amazingly sloppy,,,.... did I mention that he is sloppy.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Um, Polyeidus, I'm not saying that you are full of bull, but what you said about timo kinda is.

Sure timo is a speed freek, but only a picking, sloppy speed freek. Very Sloppy, so very sloppy, unbeleivebly sloppy, amazingly sloppy,,,.... did I mention that he is sloppy.

I'm still gonna have to respectfully disagree. Timo can stop on a dime. But I'll give you that I'm a bass player, not a guitarist. You must know something I do not.

Thank you for being mature about my disagreement.

I was about to say that well it might be 'coz your a bass player and everything but I thought I shouldn't say it 'coz you might of taken it the wrong way and that statment isn't acurate or true.

But thanx man, anyway.

so...

you think he's sloppy?
lol.gif