Everyone don't like Dream Theater!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are very few similarities between Symphony X and Dream Theater. Too few for there to be any basis for comparison.

@Muffincrisis: The only idiot around here is you. Grow up, and learn to respect that people have different tastes.

DT have put out albums of varying quality, but Images & Words was just as good as, if not better than anything Symphony X have put out. Back then LaBrie was also an inhumanly good singer (this was before his food poisoning accident, which left him with severe vocal chord damage). The albums Awake and Scenes From a Memory were also great.

Symphony X are great at what they do, as are Dream Theater. Could you see Dream Theater writing something like Smoke and Mirrors? Sea of Lies? Out of the Ashes? No. Could you see Symphony X writing something like Voices? Metropolis? Under a Glass Moon? No.

They both rule, let's leave it at that.

I like Dream Theater a lot, actually - Metropolis is one of my all-time favourite songs..-have had the pleasure of multiple musical orgasms during a single listen, a few times..

Why compare two great bands? Because they are prog? Why even compare Petrucci and Romeo? Because they play the guitar? For fucks sake.. Romeo is a neo-classical genious, while Petrucci is.. Whatever he is, but he's a genious at just exactly that..

WHAT THE F--- IS ALL THE DREAM THEATER BASHING ABOUT - Will ANYONE, please, ANYONE read the f---ing rules thread? I don't really think the Mikes,Jason and Russ will like seeing their fans, bashing a band which heavily influenced their music.

*breathing in, beathing out*

:cool:

P.S. Beats the shit out of me why someone would like Helloween and say DT's lyrics suck. This is not an opinion, it is a diagnosis.

Zax666 said:
WHAT THE F--- IS ALL THE DREAM THEATER BASHING ABOUT - Will ANYONE, please, ANYONE read the f---ing rules thread? I don't really think the Mikes,Jason and Russ will like seeing their fans, bashing a band which heavily influenced their music.

*breathing in, beathing out*

:cool:

P.S. Beats the shit out of me why someone would like Helloween and say DT's lyrics suck. This is not an opinion, it is a diagnosis.

How do you know DT heavily influenced SyXs music? :p You seem to be going by the assumption that just because SyX started a few years after DT did that they must automatically must have them for an influence like every other DT prog-wannabe band out there. I have yet to read a member of SyX call Dream Theater an influence, although I have read that they think they are a good band - theres a difference between a band you like to listen to and an influence.

Dream Theater is a bore! I cannot believe people actually prefer them over X. But you know what? We live in a world where idiots become idolized and the smart just get pushed aside.
Idiots? HA! You might not like them, but they're all geniuses, right up there with the X.

Even though I do not care for Dream Theater I still respect them as musicians. A lot of people feel if the music does nothing for them or they simply do not like it the musicians that make it are terrible. I do not feel this at all. I really don't think calling a band "idiots" or starting a thread saying "Hey, don't listen to this act or that one" really is doing anything. For one, it's not going to change people and it's generally a waste of space and time.

If you don't like an act with talent, at least respect them.

Dream Theatre is simply amazing... every musician is excellent, not a single member is less than fantastic... I wish I owned everything they have, but i'm gettign there and in the meantime... I just have to wait

Both bands are excellent and have released albums of varying qualities. To be honest i wasn't a huge SX fan until 'The Odyssey' came out....and after revisiting all the old X albums i found myself liking them a lot more than when i first heard them. If you compare each musician one on one then you get a pretty even match up except for in the vocal department.........Russell Allen is the finest prog metal singer ever.

Talk about dt is getting quite a heavy! I don't like singer too! He sound like the singer of Sonata Arctica... what was his name... anyway, dream theater is a bore. Ok, let's not crush the band down!

hammerforce said:
Talk about dt is getting quite a heavy! I don't like singer too! He sound like the singer of Sonata Arctica... what was his name... anyway, dream theater is a bore. Ok, let's not crush the band down!
Damn...that has to be one of the harshest putdowns of James I've ever seen. Pointless bashing of Dream Theater is a bore...

Why not talk about Dream Theater or whatever other bands people want? Dream Theater has a relatively new album out and are currently on tour. There's a lot to talk about, and plenty of people here like them. It doesn't mean everyone has to read all of the Dream Theater threads, or can't start Symphony X threads of their own.

Hey there. I've been a long time lurker here. I must say, I'm a huge DT fan. Ijust saw them in Frankfurt, and theu rocked (Portnoy is a monster!). I surprised more folks don't like Train of Thought. I thought the heavier style would appeal to more progpower fans. Oh well. Each to their own.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.