prog bands

Get The Perfect Element. Every CD pales in comparison. Be warned though because it takes forever to digest. There is a ton of stuff going on even for a prog CD, so don't expect a masterpiece the first time through, but it will grow into one.

^ Agreed... but contrary to your statement, I loved it from first listen.

My first two POS albums were BE and Remedy Lane, and both of those took a bit of time to grow into the gems I consider them. These albums probably prepared me for Perfect Element.

BE is the biggest grower album, imo. Didn't care for it for the first few years, but absolutely love it now.

I've been listening to 12:5 obsessively lately. I adore this album... best live album ever. I listen to it like I listen to other studio albums, and I don't listen to any other live albums on a regular basis.

I haven't check'd any of their "later" stuff. Are they any good?

They were a pop band for a long time but made a recent comeback. Their latest album is a recording of a rock opera originally written ~1970 or thereabouts. Before that they recorded an all-instrumental album, very proggy, very "Italian."

They were a pop band for a long time but made a recent comeback. Their latest album is a recording of a rock opera originally written ~1970 or thereabouts. Before that they recorded an all-instrumental album, very proggy, very "Italian."

Yeah I heard about the "pop" thingy, that's why I haven't checked their later sutff.

EDIT: Maybe I should't listen to what others say...

^ Agreed... but contrary to your statement, I loved it from first listen.

My first two POS albums were BE and Remedy Lane, and both of those took a bit of time to grow into the gems I consider them. These albums probably prepared me for Perfect Element.

BE is the biggest grower album, imo. Didn't care for it for the first few years, but absolutely love it now.

I've been listening to 12:5 obsessively lately. I adore this album... best live album ever. I listen to it like I listen to other studio albums, and I don't listen to any other live albums on a regular basis.
12:5 is definitely among the top live albums in my opinion too.

I don't think BE is a "grower". I don't think any good albums are growers, in fact. I think it's just a damn good album.

When I hear somene say that some album is great, I will check it out. But when I hear something like "their latest album is pop and crappy.." I tend not to listen it, but like in this case maybe I should've ignored the "poppy" claims.
I listened the latest PFM yesterday and it was nice! It wasn't as "italo-prog" as I hoped but still had some great tunes. Thx for that! :D

VDPlas are the most underrated band in prog metal,they deserve much
success,last march they went in Italy,really great gig with less than 100 fans.
What a shame, I wonder how many fans will come in september for Redemption,
but I can bet the same as VDplas.

VDPlas are the most underrated band in prog metal, they deserve much success,last march they went in Italy,really great gig with less than 100 fans. What a shame, I wonder how many fans will come in september for Redemption,
but I can bet the same as VDplas.

Vanden Plas are outstanding. They are one of my favorite bands. I wish they would come
to the U.S. for a full tour. They are playing ProgPower USA in September but I don't think
I can make it there. Redemption are excellent as well. I can't wait for their next album
and to see them as well.

I really hope VDplas will get a lot of crowd in USA,they deserve it.To be
honest,i started liked them from "Beyond daylight "on , now they've got an italian label ,don't forget to get "Abydos" by andy kuntz too. One of my favourite song of them is "January son", then "Hole in the sky".I'm anxious for
the new Redemption too,they never disappointed me

Kalisia. Awesome progressive death metal from France. I don't want to post a song because the album has 20 songs which all fit together perfectly and shouldn't be out of context! Has excellent keyboards and cool off-timed riffs.

Illusion Suite are also good. Only heard their Final Hour album and it sounds great, apart from some female vocals which put me off slightly!

Kaipa ,with per Nilsson (scar Symetry) on guitars: I love the two last albums :

Last edited by a moderator: