prog bands

It was mentioned already, but I'd like to plug Myrath again. They are very much like Symphony X in many ways. In fact, they were a Symphony X cover band for quite a while. They also add some cultural elements to their music that make it different than Symphony X. I'd start with their album Desert Call.

On a separate note, what do people think of Lance King in general, not only as a singer, but also in terms of the music that his bands have produced. It looks like he has mainly been focusing on his record company lately, but I did like some of his work in Pyramaze, Balance of Power, and Avian. He seems a bit more power than prog (I'm no expert on this), but at least I find his music interesting.

Conception and Beyond Twilight seem pretty cool, though the latter seem to have a numetal Flock of Seagulls thing going.

Maestro, you might like:

Serenity - Fallen Sanctuary, Worlds Untold & Dreams Unlived
Subsignal - Beautiful & Monstrous
Spock's Beard - The Light, Beware Of Darkness, The Kindness Of Strangers, Snow
Hourglass - The Journey Into, Subconscious, Oblivious To The Obvious
Coheed & Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV
Avantasia - The Scarecrow, Angel Of Babylon, The Wicked Symphony
Chroma Key - Dead Air For Radios
Planet X - Moonbabies, Live From Oz
Michael Romeo - The Dark Chapter
Cairo - Conflict And Dreams

And as mentioned in previous posts and I agree strongly as they are some of my all time favorites, you should most definitely look into:

Redemption - Snowfall On Judgement Day, The Origins Of Ruin, The Fullness Of Time
Adagio - Sanctus Ignis, Underworld
Vanden Plas - Christ O, The Seraphic Clockwork, Beyond Daylight
Opeth - Ghost Reveries, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Damnation
Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstacy, Enigmatic : Calling, God's Equation, Celestial Entrance
Circus Maximus - The 1st Chapter, Isolate
Seventh Wonder - Waiting In The Wings, Mercy Falls, The Great Escape

Maestro, you might like:

And as mentioned in previous posts and I agree strongly as they are some of my all time favorites, you should most definitely look into:

Redemption - Snowfall On Judgement Day, The Origins Of Ruin, The Fullness Of Time
Adagio - Sanctus Ignis, Underworld
Vanden Plas - Christ O, The Seraphic Clockwork, Beyond Daylight
Opeth - Ghost Reveries, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Damnation
Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstacy, Enigmatic : Calling, God's Equation, Celestial Entrance
Circus Maximus - The 1st Chapter, Isolate
Seventh Wonder - Waiting In The Wings, Mercy Falls, The Great Escape

dude I completely forgot about Redemption and Hourglass. I saw the former when they opened for DT a couple of years ago. I liked only one song from Serenity thus far but that is only because I get like that. Thank you very much.

Maestro, you might like:

Avantasia is awesome, but prog? Not really in my opinion.

I recommend Ayreon and Star One. And Threshold.

I know I mentioned Pagan's Mind earlier, but I have a question. I really like their new album, and the only one I actually own is Celestial Entrance, and I can only really get into a few songs on that album. Can anyone recommend any other albums by Pagan's Mind?

For another Pagan's mind album try Enigmatic: Calling. Pretty similar stuff, albeit slightly heavier.

Also I don't think anyone mentioned Outworld here yet. It's the singer from Beyond Twilight's 'Section X' but Outworld are a lot heavier. His voice is pretty high pitched, but has a venomous edge which I can only describe as cool! Easily one of my favourite albums, check it out:

I have to agree on Circus Maximus, but I only really like their first album, especially the album's epic!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Alright cool, I'll give it a listen. I usually don't mind heavier stuff. And I agree about Circus Maximus. I LOVE their first album, especially Glory of the Empire, but I don't really care for their second album.

^ Alright cool, I'll give it a listen. I usually don't mind heavier stuff. And I agree about Circus Maximus. I LOVE their first album, especially Glory of the Empire, but I don't really care for their second album.

I think Glory of the Empire is drawn favourite with the title track. Those songs (inc. The Prophecy and Sin) made me consider them on the same tier as Symphony X :)

I second Beautiful and Monstrous by Subsignal. It's quite an incredible album.

I prefer the two demo singles CM released before their first album.
*hipster metalhead*

Actually I really like Isolate. They have a few weak songs on both albums but overall they're pretty solid.
Are they releasing a new one this year?

I almost forgot, there's a great cluster of prog bands from Poland that have released some amazing stuff this past decade. They play really melodic, melancholy stuff, and I think it would appeal to both prog rock and metal fans. I didn't even know they existed until recently. Here are some highlights from them:

Abraxas - Centurie (This is an AMAZING album)
Believe - Yersterday Is a Friend
Collage - Moonshine