Recommend me some prog metal

Have you heard the great stuff by "Mind's Eye"? I bought their last album called "A Work Of Art", a fantastic special edition containing a bonus CD (nearly a complete album, entitled as "Waiting for the Tide"), awesome arrangements and composition, powerful vocals... one of the best albums I've bought, really!!! You can take a look to their web site:

http://www.roundrec.com/

You can also try with Poverty's No Crime, another great progressive band. Their web site:

http://www.povertys-no-crime.de

|ngenius.

I'll second that on Poverty's No Crime.

Also if it hasn't been mentioned check out Power of Omens. Singer sound identical to Geoff Tate.......

Not sure you'd classify Pagan's Mind as pure Prog Metal but it's good stuff too. Ivory Tower not too bad either..........

Jeff.

Silver1212 said:
I'll second that on Poverty's No Crime.

Also if it hasn't been mentioned check out Power of Omens. Singer sound identical to Geoff Tate.......

Not sure you'd classify Pagan's Mind as pure Prog Metal but it's good stuff too. Ivory Tower not too bad either..........

Jeff.

Yeah, Ivory Tower rocks.

Did anyone mention Valley's Eve? Another great prog band!! And btw, concerning Ivory Tower, I bought the first album original and it actually rocks. I adore the song "Spring".

N.P: Valley's Eve .- "Room Of Answers"

|ng.

Antithesis is an awesome technical Prog/ Power metal band from ohio. Also Archetype is good technical ohio prog metal. Antithesis rules all though...except for the almight symphony X. If you like heavy bands such as Nevermore and Iced earth you will definitely like Antithesis, they opened up for Symphony X and Seven Witches here in Ohio. :Spin:

Rough Silk as progressive? Masterplan as progressive?!?!?!?! Well, maybe you've got hidden tapes where these bands recorded stuff completely different from what they use to play...

|ngenius.

Uh, yeah??? why not? I guess it depends on one's definition of progressive, but from what I understand, and everyone else I know that listens to them, they are at least metal, Rough Silk a little different, maybe not the vein of progressive metal, but they're definitley progressive.

Take Symphony X, Dream Theater, Rush, Evergrey, Empty Tremor or any other progressive metal band. Yeah, the great average of them has a very personal style and an original way to make up their music, but all these bands use to root the music on entangled structures and experimental innovations.

Now, take Rough Silk. Yeah, also very personal, but it's a band more oriented to hard rock and heavy metal than progressive at all. And now take Masterplan, with a very german-classic heavy metal sound and strong Helloween essence (Roland Grapow and Uli Kusch are involved). Where's the progressive sound on there? The fact that Jorn Lande played with progressive bands in the past (as you also mentioned, he sang in Beyond Twilight, or The Ark) doesn't make of Masterplan a progressive band, in my honest opinion.

|ngenius.

True. Very true. They are more melodic than anything, and I guess it's not a good idea to throw unique bands like those two into a traditional prog metal sampler thread. I guess I was so excited over them just hearing them for the first time, and noticing the progressive elements, oh well.

It's not a fault to get lost between those zillions of labels we use to apply to bands that, often, gets out of a single definition, my friend. ;) Note that even between two progressive bands exist countless differences. Btw, I just recognize Rough Silk, Masterplan and Beyond Twilight between the names you mentioned in your list, above. What about telling us two cents about the rest? :)

|ng.