Recomend me some prog metal.

Empty Vision

The Accolade
Feb 15, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Ok essentially the prog metal bands that I listen to are Symphony X, Dream Theater, Cynic, Death, Ayreon, Evergrey, Biomechanical, Into Eternity, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Sikth, Sonata Arctica, SYL & Devin Townsend.
I own most releases by each band, except Into Eternity which I only own the Scattering of Ashes, and Porcupine I have most stuff from Signify to recent but nothing before it and I don't have Lightbulb Sun.

Im looking for some good prog metal as high quality as the bands mentioned but maybe something different. I have recently downloaded some Adagio, Majestic and Time Requiem but I have heard it all before. About two days ago I purchased Remedy Lane by Pain Of Salvation and its taking some time to sink in but I love it for the fact that its something different.

Please recomend some good - excellent albums in the vein of prog/power. Doesn't matter how heavy or how soft.

Also: I have heard many good things about the band Andromeda so if anyone wants to point me in the right direction with this band it would be appreciated. :heh:

Reactions: Krakatau
I recommend:

Royal Hunt: Fear, Paradox, and Paper Blood

Kamelot - The Black Halo

Ark - Burn The Sun

Angra - Temple Of Shadows

Vanden Plas - Christ 0

Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element Pt 1

Psychotic Waltz - Into The Everflow

:)

Edit: Shadow Gallery - Tyranny and Room V are also high quality prog metal albums...

Andromeda - Does have some good stuff not all good but worth looking into
Circus maximus - very good
Pegans mind - very good
Seventh wonder - latest cd is good
Avantasia -dont't know if you would like em but i do :)
kamelot -new stuff is really good

Fates Warning - Disconnected, FWX
Redemption - The Fullness of Time
Zero Hour - Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond, A Fragile Mind
Shadow Gallery - Room V
Mulmuzzler - Mulmuzzler 1 & 2
Rage - Speak of the Dead
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Wuthering Heights - Far From the Madding Crowd
Power of Omens - Any of their albums

Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
Dark Tranquillity- Character

these are all borderline dm prog, but they are all totally worth it.

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome

You couldn't go wrong with any release from either of those bands.

Also:

Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
JT Bruce - Anomalous Material and The Dreamer's Paradox
Outworld - Outworld
Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium

aconite thrill (they are progressive and hardcore / metal but not prog metal as such, singer sounds a bit 80s but they are pretty tech)

Akercocke - Words that go Unspoken, Deeds that go Undone
Indukti - S.U.S.A.R.
Fragile Vastness - A Tribute to Life
Aghora - Formless (cynic players involved)
Magic Pie - Motions of Desire
Hammers of Misfortune - can't go wrong with any release
Spiral Architect- A Septic's Universe
Communic - Waves of Visual Decay
Dark Suns - Exsistance

Enjoy....

Meshuggah, Therion, Mastodon & Tool.

edit: I like Andromeda's first two albums but the last one was pretty bland from what I remember. Their debut Extension Of The Wish is the best place to start.

I think I could try out some of those names mentioned myself. I've recently started to listen more prog music, so I think I should try out more of that type of bands.

Cheers everyone. I do have most Nevermore albums, a couple of Mastodon and one Dark Tranquility album but I don't know I guess I never really thought of any of the above as prog. And yeah I forgot about Tool, they're alright.

??? I couldn't get your point; yet which one of the bands that i've mentioned you didn't think as prog for example? And why? (I assume that you know all of them BTW :) )

Haha when I said 'bands mentioned above' I wasn't talking about anyone elses post, I was talking about the bands I mentioned in my last post, those are: Nevermore, Mastodon and Dark Tranquility.
I have never really thought of Nevermore, Mastodon and Dark Tranquility as progressive, I havn't heard many of the bands you listed.
Why don't I think Nevermore, Mastodon or DT are progressive? I don't know I've just seem them as metal bands nothing more nothing less.

Hope thats all cleared up now. :kickass:

Haha when I said 'bands mentioned above' I wasn't talking about anyone elses post, I was talking about the bands I mentioned in my last post, those are: Nevermore, Mastodon and Dark Tranquility.
I have never really thought of Nevermore, Mastodon and Dark Tranquility as progressive, I havn't heard many of the bands you listed.
Why don't I think Nevermore, Mastodon or DT are progressive? I don't know I've just seem them as metal bands nothing more nothing less.

Hope thats all cleared up now. :kickass:

Ok then; my bad :heh: Nevermore's last album has prog touches, yet thay are not a prog band i think. Dark Tranquillity and Mastodon. Oh :zombie: :ill: :lol: